It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. gas station gets California's first retail hydrogen fuel pump

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFXBrandon
reply to post by Seaman_Richie

He is saying that they use liquid hydrogen to send up satellites. This isn't polluting the earth as you say it would.

Even if it did use a fuel that polluted the earth, it would be a one time event per satellite. I believe the number of commercial airplane flights around the world is something you should be more worried about.

Don't fight the steps we take into a cleaner future

[edit on 29-6-2008 by SFXBrandon]

I'm not fighting anything towards a "cleaner" future.

I'm not saying that hydrogen is not clean but the method of producing the fuel most of the time is not...

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

That's only because the input is coming from the old energy economy, once you transition into using sunlight or hydrogen to produce hydrogen it becomes clean. We still need to take the initial dirty step to change to clean walking.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zepherian

That's only because the input is coming from the old energy economy, once you transition into using sunlight or hydrogen to produce hydrogen it becomes clean. We still need to take the initial dirty step to change to clean walking.

Got my point?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Well, unless they start making 18 wheelers with hydrogen engines or roof top solar panels this won't make a bit of difference. The rich will starve just like the poor. And if these automotive companies wanted to really make an impact on the environment then they would make these types of technologies available to the middle and poor class. (preaching to the choir, I know)

What pisses me off about this green thing is that it has become a novelty, a status object/symbol. The Riches on tv drive their electric hybrids and their hydrogen fuel cell cars in Los Angeles while drinking their mochajavawhatnots and then they endorse a product that is so far beyond the means of the working and poor classes that it might as well be made of air. This technology is vital to our future and is needed by the masses - too bad it's draped in diamonds.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Reply to Brothers

Here's a link to some fact sheets on hydrogen cars. The cost is a little higher than gasoline, but the efficiency is much greater. Some claims are 40%-55% greater efficiency.

www.gm.com...

Also, here's another thread on a hydrogen car with a very cool design - the Hy-Wire.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by himself

Thanks for your info! I wondered why oilmen would be interested in hydrogen.

Anyway, great thread. Let's hope humanity will make optimal decisions to produce and deliver this type of energy.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

LOL Starred!

We must continue to find ways to not have everything seem to "break-even."

Break-even in the sense that we pollute to save from further pollution. Are we really winning? Unless management practices and technologies are improved, we will continue to damage our environment.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Being the optimistic pessimist here, I say it's about freaking time we started looking for alternatives to our petroleum dependancy.... but at the same time I will state my opinion and say that it's too bad it isn't Joe's Little Station Down the Road Gives Everyone Free Gas! instead of one of the BO corporate entities like Shell or Exxon/Mobil... that wouldn't be good for the mainstream media to have a headline like that anyway, methinks. Not too many people are running about with HFC vehicles at the moment, so I wonder... in all seriousness how Big Oil has their fingers in this grand pie in the sky.

On that notion, petroleum will still be needed... in some areas of production, plastics.. etc. and mainly for lubrication of the Internal Combustion Engine
found in all automobiles... either way, Big Oil still has us on something... there will be no free ride this time.

You and I all know that they will not give up their profit margins and let you and I have a mode of transportation that we ourselves can more or less provide fuel for without any kickbacks to them... right? Therein lies the bigger picture.... and I have often wondered about that. Let's just hypothetically imagine that in 20 years from now, the infrastructure exists and 75% of all of the vehicles on the road are Hydrogen fueled, what then? AFAIK in the simplest terms, all you really need is water... so what then? There is no and I mean NO way that the powers that be will allow it to be de-regulated to that extent... the monopoly that begun the past 60 or so years ago (needs research) will not go silently into the night. If it was that easy, everyone would have it... and the empire that they had built up would crumble before their very eyes.

Even if...
it were that easy, who is to say that the worlds water supply would become valued to the point where it was traded X barrels at X$ on the NYSE... or better yet, that fancy gas, erm Hydrogen cap patent belongs to well.... I will leave that up to your imagination. Without it, we aint' going anywhere.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, just pondering WHO will profit from this if and when it gets developed fully... any thoughts?

BTW S&F'ed....

Cheers,
T-

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by telemetry

For you to understand what I'm about to say bare in mind that I don't consider big oil to be a seperate entity, just a few corporations under elitist control.

Since the economy might be hydrogen based in the future and since there is no real way to keep people from making hydrogen by themselves once the technology is mainstream, because it's too simple and replicable, the elites have already started to try and control the source, water. This means controlling the water companies and not allowing for water to be considered a legal right. I suspect the reason hydrogen is taking this long to implement when we have had prototypes for decades is because there is an incremental process going on to get us used to the idea of expensive water, our next economic shackle in their minds.

If this is indeed part of their big plan I don't really see it working, but it's still going to be interesting to see what way the elites will try and weasel into our pockets with a hydrogen economy. Failing that ofc they are also going for fascism so I guess they could just tax us to death.

Whatever they do they will do it to maintain the war on the middle class.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Exactly, how on earth could (or would) ones go about regulating something as natural as water itself...? No pun intended there, but seriously I have already seen changes in my area regarding my own water rights. FYI I'm on a well and all of my water comes from a 15' for irrigation and a 500' for mains.. and the only thing I have to pay for is the electricity required to pump it out, basically $7-12 a month depending on the season and our needs. Preety sweet, and no flouride!... hehehe

Anyway, (I live in an Area Of Impact) I was told that the city is/are planning on stubbing City Water into my lot in the near future, and while I disagree with the whole notion of City Water for many reasons, I had a thought that it might be nice to have as a backup in case I had a pump failure at a bad time.. but later when I was talking with the local Utilities Dept. head, he basically told me that I could opt out (for the time being) but eventually CW would be installed, and when it was ran as it eventually would be.. that I would have to disconnect my wells entirely from the homes that they supply. I found that kinda bizarre, I never asked them if they would need to be disconnected and capped entirely... strange indeed... and never pursued it any further.

I feel that if it gets to that... there is really no way that they can stop everyone, I mean water is pretty much everywhere.... so maybe this whole hydrogen thing is just a ploy?On that notion...

Why?
Maybe to keep us occupied until the next "New Deal" whatever technology will be unveiled for the saving of the entire world, brought to you by the elite at... (insert here) and co-sponsored by our friends at ( )?

T-

[format]

[edit on 29-6-2008 by telemetry]

[edit on 30-6-2008 by telemetry]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join