It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Staff bias?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Over the last couple of years I have started probably 100 threads about UFO's, and I have gotten one applause, then much to my suprise I got an applause the first time a started a debunking thread. This made me ask myself the following question: Is this an coincidence or are the ATS forum staff, which gives the applauses, bias towards debunkers? What are your experiences and opinions?

Mod's: Feel free to move this thread to the appropiate forum, I tried to post in the "Member discussion" forum but got access denied, so this forum was the closest match for my topic.

EDIT: Since so many people seems to believe that this thread is about me bitching that I dont get enough points, I will point out the title of the thread ; "ATS STAFF BIAS?". The whole point of the thread is one of INTROSPECTION for the ATS staff and board members, that is why the thread is not called "Why am I not getting any points".

[edit on 28-6-2008 by Acharya]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Or perhaps you're just better at debunking UFOs than you are at proving they exist?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Acharya

You know what they say.... a signature says alot.
\/

Hee hee

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I think the mods here do an excellent job considering that

A) They cannot be everywhere at once
B) They do this voluntarily...which means they DO NOT get paid for it

Looking back at some of my experiences, I have seen nothing but fairness out of them. Even though something may not seem fair to you, sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture instead of trying to see it from a tiny window.
You do not see everything they see.
I have found it's best to just accept the decisions they make and know that it is for the best.

Put yourself in a mod's shoes and realize the sheer volume of things that they have to deal with. You are not the most important thing on ATS and neither is anyone else. I had to learn this just like you do. Don't criticize their applause, as it seems you are doing, but instead, accept it and know that they are doing their best.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Acharya

A great post but I dont give a # if the ATS bosses block things etc.

I just post what i think needs input or of interest.

Stuff! politics

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Personally, I applaud for a combination of Civility, Research, Originality, and Presentation. (CROP) My actions are not based on agreement with the member's position, as I consider divergent viewpoints a hallmark of critical thinking.

Just yesterday I gave an applause to someone who was actually working at showing me to be in error on a UFO subject.

Suspecting bias is, IMO, usually the result of a failure to grasp that others may not be as biased as one's self.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Man, I just looked through a bunch of your threads in the Alien forum and most of them are a link to a video and a line or two asking if it's fake or not. That's why you don't get applause for them.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I just got my first applause the other day.
and finally got a couple of stars as well

I got it because i made a contribution to the thread that affected the MOD and effected the thread hence the stars..
and I believe it made an impact on how the said MOD responded after me in the thread.

look at the post you made.
and try to realize when you making an impact.

The true nature of the stars and applause you get will be revealed to you

I was forced to say that to deflect your stumbling upon discovery of the truth

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I just wanted to add that this is not an accusation thread, but more of an investigation thread. Introspection is never a bad idea

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
Man, I just looked through a bunch of your threads in the Alien forum and most of them are a link to a video and a line or two asking if it's fake or not. That's why you don't get applause for them.

A good point but most of us has a family,work and a life to run.

So that means we have to produce a 2 thousand word post or have a university degree in bull#?

Sorry I was not being offensive but I like straight to the point posts with out all the history.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Down Under

You don't have to write anything. If he's looking for applause though, a video and "fake or real" probably won't get them.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

That is just not true, here is a list of my posts:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

, I have not counted them but after a quick look I dont think that any more that 1/10 are links to youtube videos. Anyone can see for themselves.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I'm not going to look at every thread you made because I don't really care. I looked at a bunch of your threads and just pointed out a possible reason instead of your reason of blaming other people.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I have recieved a few applauses over the years (12 to be exact). None have really fallen in the CROP catagory. Usually under humorous, but quite true commentary. I recall one post in particular that recieved 3 seperated applauses.

All that said, I notice that applause mostly stems from making the giver think and reconsider their position as a few have came from what would be left field from the giver's stance on a subject.

Now if you want to take notes, 12m8kall2c has applauded me more than NGC2736 has. But I have cracked NGC2736 up more and recieved the coveted "wish there was still a Way Above..." more times. So that evens out in my book.

For me applause is a brief and fleeting button push really. You get a few points out of it but a U2U or a replied to post stating a person's feelings on what you have written means more becuase they can express what it was that made them feel good, bad or enlightened about what you wrote. For me, that is really the better kudos.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Ive applauded more pro-UFO and pro-believer type threads than anything else so I dont really see your point.

Try not to focus on getting applause but on denying ignorance and furthering the discoverey of new things. When you dont care if others like it or not, if you dont care about applause and you only care about the truth...you are more likely to get applause.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I had to take time to jump in on this one!

Although by reading the different MODS, thoughts and ideas it is apparent that they are not clones of some hidden agenda, no quite the opposite.

I have recieved applause by certain MOds that in no way shape or form resonate with what I believe or contribute, however they did like my point of view on the particular subject which was applauded.

I have also recieved warnings from some that I consider to be my allies here on the board simply because they want the quality of my words and deeds to remain above board.

Na I think you are just being overly sensitive to getting applause. Relax, they will come.

Edit because of skyfloatings post above me, I will be honest, I am ALWAYS shocked when I get applause and have to click the link that is provided in the U2U to see what it was that I said, lol really!

[edit on 28-6-2008 by antar]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I'm not going to look at every thread you made because I don't really care. I looked at a bunch of your threads and just pointed out a possible reason instead of your reason of blaming other people.

Please settle down. I am not blaming anyone, as stated above I posted this post for introspection. And if you did not care to check my threads before claiming that most my threads were youtube links I wish you would not have posted here.

-A

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Ive applauded more pro-UFO and pro-believer type threads than anything else so I dont really see your point.

Try not to focus on getting applause but on denying ignorance and furthering the discoverey of new things. When you dont care if others like it or not, if you dont care about applause and you only care about the truth...you are more likely to get applause.

Well, my point was not that I dont get any applauses, but if the ATS staff was biased towards one kind of opinion, hence the title of the thread. Personally I dont care about cudos and points, really.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Acharya

Looked to me like you were blaming mods who are bias for you not getting applause. If you read my posts I said I read a bunch, but I'm not going to count every single thread with Youtube videos. I saw enough to think that might be the answer.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
[edit on 28/6/08 by enjoies05]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join