It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Oxenhope

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Has anyone heard of a secret base called RAF Oxenhope near Halifax, West Yorkshire?

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by wolfphantom]

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
My friend was in west yorkshire one time with his mum and dad they where visiting family or somthing anyway my friends dad's uncle works in the raf but would never talk about his work. My m8 would always ask whats it like his job etc but his uncle would always change the subject. So maybe there is a secret base there.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   
yea heard about the base was told there was some really top secret stuff goin on there something to do with the development of the new scram-jet in the early stages. so...

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Can you be more specific?
How did you come across the information?
Do you know exactly where it is located?
Do you have any more information?

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Oxenhope?!?! Mmmm. I live a few minutes away from there and didn't know there was anything relating to the RAF in the area. I guess if it's secret, I wouldn't have though

There are miles of bleak moorland around the Oxenhope area, so it's conceivable that something could be hidden quite easily. Interestingly, the supposed hotspot for UFO sightings in the UK (Keighley) is also very close to Oxenhope. Coincidence?

Could you provide a more precise location? I'd be more than happy to do some snooping if you like. Let me know.

Cheers,
Grey Pilgrim.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Hi Pilgrim,

Its on Warley moor, either under or very close to the wind farm.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by wolfphantom
Hi Pilgrim,
Its on Warley moor, either under or very close to the wind farm.
Cheers.

Hi Wolf,

Where did you hear about this base?

Interesting that it's near there. I've been up to the wind farm many times walking. There's a reservoir right below it and across the road, with a sailing club in residence. Beyond that, there's a lot of empty space.

I'm on holiday all next week, so will dig out my maps, binoculars and camera. I'll post some pics of the area once I've been. I don't ever remember seeing anything too significant on any ordanance survey or road maps, although it's been a while.

Anyway, I'll post again if I find any more info.

Cheers,
Grey Pilgrim.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Whether this is connected to the info below or not, I have no idea. There is an airstrip on the hill above Oxenhope (see URL for photo). It's right next to a caravan park. www.jud6e.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk...

I haven't had chance to get more details on this yet either, but I've just heard from a friend of mine that there is *something* on Warley moor to do with the RAF. There is also a connection to Bradford University apparently.

That's all I know at the moment, but will keep you posted.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I have been told by two friends that they have investigated the area and they are convinced there is a secret base under there.
There has been military activity on occasions and on a few occasions they have been questioned on their reasons for walking in the area.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hi again,

I've checked this whole area on OS Landranger #104 map (which ends a little west of Warley moor) and the AA West Yorkshire road atlas (which covers the whole area). There's nothing mentioned, and Warley moor is empty apart from the odd reservoir.

Funnily enough, I was telling my wife about this earlier and she said it was strange because she used to see what she assumed were RAF jets (as in fighter type aircraft) fly over the area regularly when she was out in the car. She never mentioned it before! She also said she'd noticed a few fenced-off buildings which looked out of place because there were no signs on any of them as to what they are. The local water authority who owns many buildings around the reservoirs always places signs outside.

To anyone outside the UK, this may sound a little stupid I guess. But to us, seeing a cluster of buildings with fencing around in the middle of miles of empty moorland and with no sign of ownership is very unusual (Fylingdales www.fylingdales.ukf.net... springs to mind as an example!). I'm not talking about farm buildings or barns either. Many of these have antenna arrays or satellite dishes attached. What type of business/organisation would need such equipment? They aren't local TV or radio relay stations (these are on another local hill, clearly marked on maps) and there are no mobile phone masts anywhere around, so who else?

A drive out in the landrover is planned for next week. Should be interesting!!

Cheers,
Grey Pilgrim

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Hi

There was a RAF Oxenhope on the site of the now airstrip that can be found on my webpages. it was decomisiond in the early 40's. But im not sure what used to fly out of there, probably reconisance.

Having walk and cycled the moor on Warely Moor for a long time I can safely say i have never seen anything that resembles a secret base, nor any obvious signs of traffic. There is however a small observatory clearly marked on the map which i belive Bradford Uni use, this is just on the side of the main road to Hebden Bridge (A6033 grid reference 53�47'28.6"N, 1�59'03.0"W). Yes you get the odd fighter jet (and transporters for that matter) doing low level training, but these are mostly trying to avoid radar contact from Menwith Hill.

JUD6E

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by JUD6E]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
There you go then. Mystery solved. I knew about the airstrip, but didn't know this was originally used by the RAF. I still want to know what the buildings are though

Cheers,
Grey Pilgrim

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Where abouts would the fenced of buildings be? The observatory is fenced off, but has clear markings as to being owned by Bradford Uni? Like i say i have been all over those moors and have never been challendged by anyone other than a disgruntled old age farmer "get orf moi land" kinda thing. Could you use multimap.com to find the buildings? (using the arial photo view)

If you take that drive out in your landy sounds like we are close, you could pic me up

Oh And the airstrip was built in 1916 and was in use ony during WW1 by 33, 76 Sqns, now extinct. The airstip is now privatly owned

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by JUD6E]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the info Judge. I live not too far away. Could I join you both on this expedition? I have an off road vehicle.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well, this is beginning to sound like chinese whispers to me now....

No idea where the antenna buildings are, can't get a straight answer as my friend has since decided he can't remember which moor it was on. That helps. When pressed, he wasn't even certain it was in Yorkshire.Aaarrrggghhh!!!!!

The other building, my wife says is by one of the reservoirs (Yorks Water?!) and she's not certain it was that one which was fenced off. She's still adamant that it's not a farm or house and that there are no signs.

I'm afraid this is a wild goose chase. I'm still going to have a drive around, but it's probably going to be a waste of petrol. Amazing how people are sure of something one minute, but become very uncertain when pressed to confirm details!!

Cheers,
Grey Pilgrim.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Now this is getting silly, talking to my wife about it and she swares blind that she has been told of caverns (under the windfarms) where people have aparently held parties (raves) in the past
Now i have never heard of this, there are 16 - 17th century Quarries up there (delphs) but nothing underground that i know of!.

We must all meat up and have a good trek over the moor, Theres a pub up there isnt there?

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Holy cow!!! It's becoming more surreal by the moment lol

I'm game for a meet up, drive/walk around, pint and chat about anything, especially ATS stuff. I live in Queensbury. Is that near either of you?

Cheers,
Grey Pilgrim.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Im in Haworth, near what used to be the 3 sisters pub.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I live near Pontefract, so you guys will the know the area better than me. If you two decide where and when to meet up i will try and make it. I mean, we could even meet at the the road that runs between the wind farm and the resovoir.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Better still meet up at the pub just befre the winfarms cant think of its name right now, might be "the withens" (something like that)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join