It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you hold onto that buzz?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
You know the one I'm talking about. Where you get an amazing idea for a poem or story, and you have the driving force to write it, but then the next day, it's gone, and you never return to that work, simply because you're not in the same mood as the day before.

How do you hold onto that force? The want to finish a piece.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
There's a few tricks- hanging doggedly in there and just finishing everything in one go is probably the best for short stories. Music often helps, just because you can associate the images in your head with something else so they don't just float off. I find caffeine helps a lot. It sharpens my mind, keeps that drive up, forces the creativity out.

Well, sometimes, all there is to hold on to is never say die, true-grit tenacity.

DE

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I am what some would call a musician. Though, I don't consider myself one.

I also try to finish everything in one long go. (sometimes)

If I catch myself fading, I ignore quality and try to be as productive as possible.

I have also found after my 17th hour of being awake I'm able to function better on unfinished projects.

I often take a week long break when I come to a slump.

If all else fails I try to clean the house or balance my budget to trick myself into my music mood.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I found in having inspirations as such as you speak, getting something tangible is paramount. Write something down or record your thoughts.

you may not return to it right away,but you'll have a reference to work from when you do.

Stop feeding off the original buzz you feel and develop a work ethic.

It's great to feel the revelation or a great concept, we all feel it.

working on it, fleshing it out, and developing it is what makes you a writer.

new topics

top topics

join