It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Very Scary, Very Disturbing Blog Post About The Coming 2008 Economic Crash

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by xander68

y2k is not even remotely similar IMO. I was not the least bit concerned. I knew the trucks would still deliver the groceries and my job would still continue.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swingarm
reply to post by ALightinDarkness

Are you serious? Do you know how the federal reserve system works and where we presently are sitting within it?

The federal reserve and America have been in this situation for a long time. Every time the system gets broke they change the rules so that it is once again fixed. I am sure they will find a way to fix it again, but if they don't the end result will end up benefitting most Americans. Will their be pain? Yes. But in a few years the economy will be flourishing again. Look at South america. They have had many currencies go bust and then the countries come back and the poeple are better off then ever. Same will happen here. It is also the best way to flush the greedy pigs out of the system for a while. I think that is why people want it to happen so desperately.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Swingarm

The point is, there were people just as crazed over it, and look how it turned out...

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

You did jet out to the store? Good for you... It is kind of funny how we panic though isn't it? Read ATS = Pucker Factor = Run to the Store!

And then you have the people looking at you like a freak... Been there every pay day since I started stocking up. I am always rotating the stock at my local Save A Lot to get to the 2009 and 2010 dated canned goods...

You aren't alone but I am less panicked about food supplies. I am more panicked about the people that don't have... My jeep is full every payday with cases of canned goods and water.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Just wait until we get closer to 2012. All the people who are fantasizing about this theory will become even more devout.
Then 2012 will pass into 2013, and the ATS doom and gloom crowd will have to think up another apocalypse.

The reason why this one is made up is that the doom and gloomers know that they have to keep setting dates for catastrophes that are close in order to keep peoples attention. We'll have several more global economic catastrophe threads in the coming years too before they start all telling us its the end of the world as we know it in 2012.

[edit on 28-6-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Not a parallel IMO, apples and oranges.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

well see. Have a good night !

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I just wish people would be less scared and live more...

Wonder what would come after 2012? I guess by then the oil crisis will be worse, so that could end the world........ or maybe a world war for water after the Japanese Hydro Car comes out and sea water becomes the next oil.. or maybe asteroids, or planet x... oh hey theres that near miss comet in what.. 2014...

There will always be a boogeyman.. I just refuse to hide under the sheets.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Swingarm

Actually, its about as apples to apples as you can get. Like this theory, Y2K preyed on peoples inner fears and desires. Like Y2K, there is little evidence behind it, but there is much fear mongering going on. Like Y2K, people are going out there and stocking up for the end and building bomb shelters.

And like Y2K, September 2008 will pass with nothing but a sluggish US economy, and all of the people who proclaimed economic doom will quietly whistle and walk away. Only to pop up to predict doom again next year.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Every time I try to live, something comes along to ruin it for my generation. First it was AIDS, then it was 9-11. Now this economic bullcrap.

What do you expect us to do. It's going to be us, the people under 40 years of age, that's going to have to clean up this mess and live with the concequences.

If I don't try to protect my money and if I don't worry, I'll be working a 9-to-5 until the age of 70, and eating from the McDonalds Value Menu for dinner.

Thanks a lot, Baby Boomers.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with stocking up, IMO. We have bags and bags of dried beans, peas, lentils, etc.

I would recommend flour too but it's too expensive nowadays.

We always bought extras for the "just in case" financially lean times.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Glad someone sees it... theres one other part of this though too- this whole thread is based on an internet posting by a guy that has nothing to back up his claims besides saying his 'uncle is high up in the military' LOL

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexed

You did jet out to the store? Good for you... It is kind of funny how we panic though isn't it? Read ATS = Pucker Factor = Run to the Store!

And then you have the people looking at you like a freak... Been there every pay day since I started stocking up. I am always rotating the stock at my local Save A Lot to get to the 2009 and 2010 dated canned goods...

You aren't alone but I am less panicked about food supplies. I am more panicked about the people that don't have... My jeep is full every payday with cases of canned goods and water.

lol. I pity the girl scout who comes by your place for the 2011 Thanksgiving food drive. She is going to have to call in the reinforcements.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I remember thinking that same thing 20 years ago.... now Im 39 and things still pop up that can ruin a day.. Its called life Wind

Guess that saying is true... funny how things change yet remain the same

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

If you are going to trust the verification of credentials alone, I'd like to mention that about a month ago, many very respected and well known financial analysts were telling people on CNBC that the market had reached a bottom and that it was time to get back in. They were telling people that the economy would rebound in the second quarter.

I don't think this is going to happen.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Ok whoa.... you dont trust the respected financial guys on the news.... but you are willing to trust the guy that posted on a blog who you dont know... who says hes some cop that ran way to Utah so he wouldnt be one of the 39% shot in LA... who 'uncle' is high up in the military and warned him of this coming crisis...............................................

Ok

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Theres an asteroid that is going to make a close call but miss in the late 2020s/early 2030's - that'll be their next hope, but of course that's too far away so we'll have lots of mini "the end is nigh" predictions between now and then. As you suggest, most likely due to oil. After September, they'll come out and tell us that George Bush won't leave office like they did with Bill Clinton, and that will be a sign the end is nigh.

I think a lot of ATS wants to believe in it though - they think its going to be like a movie and they get to be rambo and defend their family from government agents. Or they are fantasizing at the thought of punishing all those who have more than them by putting everyone on the same level due to a economic collapse.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Next year? My friend, these people work on a month to month, if not week to week basis. They don't submit that easy. There's always a storm in front of some people regardless of how clear the weather is.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Very true, you are quite correct. My next guess is the whole "OMG ITS AN ELECTION YEAR AND GEORGE BUSH ISN'T GOING TO LEAVE OFFICE! THIS IS A SIGN THAT THE FEMA CONCENTRATION CAMPS ARE GETTING READY/THE NWO IS AT HAND/THE END IS NIGH." Next Total Doom Date: November, 2008.

But, as xander said, my favorite part is those who want to believe in this so badly they are literally taking a message board post from someone who claims to be a LA cop who is moving to Idhao and stocking up on corn. In a posting style and with language that suggests a paranoid schizophrenic.

I guess nothing is as powerful as the desire to believe.

[edit on 28-6-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I don't trust him either, but his blog is damn compelling. I don't think you can make up those kind of details. Anyway, I am seeing way too much weirdness around me not to take action.

My Spidey Senses are tingling, you know what I mean?

We live in a time of massive distrust and confusion. I feel obliged to be confused and alarmed. The fact that most can't barely get from Point A to Point B with your car should be enough to cause a little stress...Oh, also, plane flights will significantly diminish by September.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join