It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawkings Explosive New Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Stephen Hawkings Explosive New Theory

Some new ideas on the expansion of the universe. Interesting because it ties in directly with the ideas of String Theory. Next step is to come up with some testable predictions and see if it holds up to scrutiny. I personally have to wonder if this is the last chance for Stephen Hawking to regain a bit of his former glory. Who knows how long he will be around for and his legacy has been a bit tarnished with his past failures. I'm hoping he can come through in a big way, because I respect what he's done for science.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Evil Genius

Let me guess, expansion and contraction events every 300 trillion years or so? I hope he's smart enough to figure that out. Sorry I'm not too keen on Hawking, his universal view is devastatingly narrow in many ways. Looks like the force isn't with him...Too bad. Maybe in another 5 or 10 years.

[edit on 28-6-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Okay, I'm stumped. Is this a theory which actually says ANY AND ALL theories of creation work? That a particle of light explores, simultaneously, many different paths of getting from point A to point B...and still gets to point B in the same amount of time, WHICHEVER path it takes? Maybe stumped is too strong of a word.

I'm just trying to Imagine the M theorists and the Big Bangers shaking hands over this one.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by Toelint]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toelint
Okay, I'm stumped. Is this a theory which actually says ANY AND ALL theories of creation work? That a particle of light explores, simultaneously, many different paths of getting from point A to point B...and still gets to point B in the same amount of time, WHICHEVER path it takes?

This is actually, IMO, a reasonable theory for a quantum age and could 'broaden our horizons' in many ways. Although, I feel he can think outside of the box a bit more...

"In this theory, the early universe can be described by a mathematical object called a wave function and, in a similar way to the light particle, the team proposed two years ago that this means that there was no unique origin to the cosmos: instead the wave function of the universe embraced a multitude of means to develop.

This is very counter intuitive: they argued the universe began in just about every way imaginable (and perhaps even some that are not). Out of this profusion of beginnings, like a blend of a God’s eye view of every conceivable kind of creation, the vast majority of the baby universes withered away to leave the mature cosmos that we can see today."

Consider, for this last part, that rather than, 'wither and die', each universe falls into it's own dimension, locks to a different frequency and creates the multiple universes we are hypothesising currently? From our perspective, it would seem they did die, ceasing to exist in our universe...

just an idea...

EMM

[edit on 29-6-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Evil Genius

Frankly, I expected the term "explosive" to be a typically journalistic exaggeration.
But I see it's not.

I can see criticism coming from all directions (towards Hawking, I mean), but that's really beside the point.
It certainly is an interesting concept.

And it'll be interesting to see Hawking's colleagues react to his theory.

Good find!

new topics

top topics

join