It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space worms land in B.C., after hopping shuttle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Now since these were actually bred in space... would that not make these officially ET worms?

SPACE WORMS

Space worms land in B.C., after hopping shuttle

Thousands of worms that hitched a ride to Earth on the shuttle Atlantis have arrived safely at a B.C. university, where they could shed light on how space radiation affects humans.

The worms landed with the shuttle Friday afternoon at Edwards Air Force Base in California, six months after their ancestors — now long dead — were sent to the International Space Station.

"The worms are at the lab and appear to be fine," molecular biologist Bob Johnsen told CBC News on Monday.

The worms were sent to the space station to multiply rapidly, a special skill of the C. elegans worm, so Johnsen and his research team at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby could examine their descendants' genes for mutations.

"We are looking for damage to DNA caused by space radiation," Johnsen told CBC News.

www.cbc.ca...

Good Idea
lets breed mutated worms in space and bring them home

You know... I tried... I really did... but I just couldn't resist this one

[edit on 27-6-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Thats very interesting. But dont we already know the affects of radiation in space to humans? Humans are affected by radiation here on earth and im sure its much greater in space. Well, maybe these will be the first things we seed other planets with. Wont do us anygood though, The aliens will just use them to go fishing
. But in all seriousness, I wonder how many other living things they have up in space that have mutated and /or was brought back and was lost.

And we now know thinks can live in space, so who is to say everytime the shuttle comes back there isnt stowaway microbes that enter our planet and cause havic somewhere down the road. lol, sorry my mind can come up with many senarios when it comes to this type of discussion. There are many possibilities. And it would only be speculation on my part.Something right out of the x-files.
Guess now we have to wait 6 months and see if these worms are ok or have altered dna.

And when they take a pic of mars soil and it shows a worm on the ground, they can say, "hey, that must have been a stowaway from another mission"

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I think that was a good idea studying the worms, given that their lifespans are so much shorter than our own. Seems like if there were many groups of them, there'd be more information about possible stellar radiation. I wonder if they suffered any detrimental effects from weightlessness? I also wonder if some of the very same generation of worms was kept in a similar situation on Earth as a control group?

GOOD find OP!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by russ1969 that must have been a stowaway from another mission"

... now how is THAT for a lead in to my next piece?

Microscopic Stowaways on the ISS

Wherever humans go microbes will surely follow, and the Space Station is no exception.

Something else we forget about... humans are carriers of all kinds of nasty bugs
I wonder what radiation will do to to bacteria with long term exposure... maybe one day they will open the hatch on the ISS and errrrr you get the point

November 26, 2000 -- Long before the first humans boarded the International Space Station (ISS), something else was living there.

Something unseen, but potentially dangerous. Something with an uncanny ability to survive and reproduce in even the most hostile environments. Something capable of attacking the Station's crew and even the Space Station itself.

Of course we're not talking about some man-eating alien from a science fiction movie. These lurking, mischievous life forms aboard the Space Station are simply microbes: viruses, bacteria and fungi.

"Microbes were the first inhabitants of the Space Station," said Monsi Roman, chief microbiologist for the Environmental Control and Life Support Systems (ECLSS) project at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center.

The Space Station's microorganisms are hitchhikers; they were carried there on ISS hardware and by the assembly crews themselves. "When the Station went up, microbes went with it," says Roman. "Microbes will be the last ones in the Station, too."

science.nasa.gov...

Picture this: You're one of several astronauts homeward bound after a three-year mission to Mars. Halfway back from the Red Planet, your spacecraft starts suffering intermittent electrical outages. So you remove a little-used service panel to check some wiring.

To your unbelieving eyes, floating in midair in the microgravity near the wiring is a shivering, shimmering globule of dirty water larger than a grapefruit. And on the wiring connectors are unmistakable flecks of mold.

That actually happened on the Russian space station Mir. When Mir was launched in 1986, "it was as clean as the International Space Station when it was launched," recounted C. Mark Ott, health scientist at Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. And the cosmonauts aboard Mir (just like the astronauts from the U.S. and other nations aboard ISS) followed a regular schedule of cleaning all the space station's surfaces to prevent the growth of bacteria and molds that could jeopardize human health.

Yet, wherever humans venture, microorganisms follow—and make themselves right to home, thank you, if conditions are right.

www.thelivingmoon.com...

This dust mite was found floating in a globule of water onboard Mir. Other microorganisms collected include protozoa and amoeba

Microbial Characterization of Free Floating Condensateaboard the M i r Space Station PDF

Fungi on the ISS, growing on a panel where exercise clothes were hung to dry. "This is a good example of how biological contamination isn't an old problem or just specific to Mir," points out Mark Ott.

Ciliated protozoa recovered from free condensate during NASA 7

Amoeba recovered from free condensate during NASA6

These two above are your basic life forms... who knows what will develop

[edit on 27-6-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Well the Feanch will like THIS one

Escargot a la ISS

Seems they are not only using worms.. but snails as well

Supplies (and snails) sent to space station
Russia launches cargo ship with food, fuel and a slimy experiment

A contingent of 90 snails is also making the trip to the space station as part of an experiment to study the effects of weightlessness on living organisms, Interfax reported. (Itar-Tass reported that this was the seventh and last batch of snails being sent to the station as part of a three-year experiment. The snails are to live aboard the station for five months and will then be returned to Earth for study.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The Chinese are doing it too...

Snails Blaze Space Trail for First China Astronaut

BEIJING -- China's Shenzhou 2 spacecraft carried a monkey, a dog, a rabbit and snails into space earlier this month as Beijing prepared for a manned flight in the next five years, an industry source said on Thursday.

The flying menagerie returned to Earth alive on Tuesday from the seven-day mission after making 108 orbits as the unsung heroes of China's space program, the source said.

State media have said only that "various life forms" including animals, plants, aquatic creatures, microbes and cells made the journey, but gave no details.

www.space.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I thinkt he russians sentup fungi sample didn't they and exposed them to space, only to find they bred faster.

I don't see the big problem with it, althoughi think technically you are right, these are now ET worms
Finally an alien woohoo, wonder if they like beer?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
When the STS-107 mission ended in the breaking up of the shuttle Columbia and the death of the crew, it was announced that at the conclusion of the multi-state clean up that the only survivors were "space"worms that were being experimented on in the shuttle's science lab. They we perfectly healthy and survived! How strange are these worms?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Interesting. Makes me wonder a little more about these experiments and the ramifications of such... while i agree that research in this area should be done (to increase our knowledge and awareness of such) Im alittle unsure as to whether we should be doing it at all...

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by secretnasaman

If they're extremophiles then they're very unusual. Extremophiles are organisms that can live in the water from a nuclear reactors core, they can survive heavy radiation, being boiled, drenched in acid, frozen, shot out of a cannon (i added that last one
)

Basically they're what will be left after the earth gets hit with another asteroid, those worms and the guys in Cheyenne mountain, lucky so and so's.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
no space craft will ever be free of microbes. They are present everywhere on our body and inside our body. They are necessary in the our GI tract to make vitamins and keep the bad anaerobes in check. So the microbes are going to be around where ever humans are.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
......... and cockroaches. There will always be roaches.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Just don't throw them into the sun. Superman did that once and it unleashed Nuclear Man.

The last thing we need is a bunch of over-sized nuclear worms.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca So the microbes are going to be around where ever humans are.

Yes that is true... and if Alien ships ARE here... THEIR ships will have their microbes as well... I just hope they aren't contagious I mean Bird flue is bad enough

I like you avatar.. I guess those two killed each other.. because it seems anthropologists found their skulls

[edit on 29-6-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
why don't they just study the astronauts that left the earths atmosphere?

So, they are testing radiation on worms, after sending 100 of humans to space? Doesn;t make sense to me.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Well so far as I know no humans have been breeding in space , though the Russians seem upset about all the women going up these days

I think that is the purpose here... to see the results of birth in zero G and under space radiation...

but WAIT if the radiation is effecting the critters.... ummm that means them humans is getting a good dose as well...

Your right... something doesn't make sense here... and these guys are still below the Van Allen belt Hmmmmm

Seems I have more homework to do

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
They use worms for many reasons. They're affected by nearly all the same things humans are and the genes of most worms is very similar to humans. Worms are currently being used to advance many fields of science in regards to genetics and combating diseases, aging, regeneration etc.

Because of of how resilient worms are and the fact that these are a species that breeds fast and evolves fast is my guess as to why the experiment was done. They can discover how the DNA or genes are effected and how the worms evolve or adapt in later generations. By this they can probably develop ways to protect humans in space.

You need this type of data to try and figure out a possible outcome of a human colony on some planet with higher levels of radiation then here on Earth or for humans that are on a very long trip through space.

That's my 2 cents anyways on the experiment....

As for bringing space microbes back to earth... well the best way I could summarize something like that happening is read the book or watch the movie "The Andromeda Strain."

[edit on 30-6-2008 by zarlaan]

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
SPACE WORM UPDATE

Story Musgrave: On two flights I've seen and photographed what I call "the snake," like a seven-foot eel swimming out there....

NASA made the worms a mission patch

International Caenorhabditis elegans Experiment First Flight-Development (ICE-First-Development)
www.nasa.gov...

The ICE Mission

weboflife.nasa.gov...

ICE - First Of Worms and Men book

Free copy of the book.. PDF pages 1-10
weboflife.nasa.gov...

Pages 11-end
weboflife.nasa.gov...
edit on 30-7-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join