It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Declares National Emergency? why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
www.whitehouse.gov...

I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, find that the current existence and risk of the proliferation of weapons-usable fissile material on the Korean Peninsula constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States, and I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with that threat. I further find that, as we deal with that threat through multilateral diplomacy, it is necessary to continue certain restrictions with respect to North Korea that would otherwise be lifted pursuant to a forthcoming proclamation that will terminate the exercise of authorities under the Trading With the Enemy Act (50 U.S.C. App. 1 et seq.) (TWEA) with respect to North Korea.

I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with that threat.
what does this mean?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Federal law provides a variety of powers for the President to use in response to crisis, exigency, or emergency circumstances threatening the nation. Moreover, they are not limited to military or war situations. Some of these authorities, deriving from the Constitution or statutory law, are continuously available to the President with little or no qualification. Others—statutory delegations from Congress—exist on a standby basis and remain dormant until the President formally declares a national
emergency.
These delegations or grants of power authorize the President to meet the problems of governing effectively in times of crisis. Under the powers delegated by such statutes, the President may seize property, organize and control the means of production, seize commodities, assign military forces abroad, institute martial law, seize and control all transportation and communication, regulate the operation of private enterprise, restrict travel, and, in a variety of ways, control the lives of United States citizens. Furthermore, Congress may modify, rescind, or render dormant such delegated emergency authority.

National Emergency Powers

Looks like he's setting himself up for his third term.

I thought he just took NK off the Axis of Evil list. Wierd.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by mecheng]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Ok teh is this a wind up ,knowing what naughty little sprites people can be ?If not where did this info come from?Is that long enough for you?Also this seems to have come out of the blue?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The info came from the link. have a read.

I'm not sure I like the sound of this.....
can someone with a little more knoledge on the subject spell out the implications of this for me please?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
We are sooooooooooo screwed

What's next, martial law?

Bush is EVIL!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This is the same thing Bush declared for Iraq at one point. What it does is ensure that none of our commercial interests screw anything up.

all property and interests in property of North Korea or a North Korean national that, pursuant to the President's authorities under the TWEA, the exercise of which has been continued in accordance with section 101(b) of Public Law 95-223 (91 Stat. 1625; 50 U.S.C. App. 5(b) note), were blocked as of June 16, 2000, and remained blocked immediately prior to the date of this order.

This does not grant Bush and extraordinary powers, nor is it in any way linked to NSPD-51.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN
We are sooooooooooo screwed

Bush is EVIL!

Originally posted by mecheng

Woah, woah, chill!

Using mecheng's link, and the executive order, we can get to the bottom of this!

Originally posted by bamaoutlaw
what does this mean?

Using mecheng's link here, www.fpc.state.gov... , we get:

The National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601-1651) eliminated or modified some statutory grants of emergency authority, required the President to declare formally the existence of a national emergency and to specify what statutory authority, activated by the declaration, would be used, and provided Congress a means to countermand the President’s declaration and the activated authority being sought.

Therefore, we can conclude that the President has to specify exactly what "emergency powers" he is using, meaning, it's in this Executive order.
www.whitehouse.gov... , as the OP, bamaoutlaw posted.

This is the part after the declaration of the emergency and the explanation why which states exactly what is being ordered as a result:

Accordingly, I hereby order:

Section 1. Except to the extent provided in statutes or in regulations, orders, directives, or licenses that may be issued pursuant to this order, and notwithstanding any contract entered into or any license or permit granted prior to the date of this order, the following are blocked and may not be transferred, paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in:

all property and interests in property of North Korea or a North Korean national that, pursuant to the President's authorities under the TWEA, the exercise of which has been continued in accordance with section 101(b) of Public Law 95-223 (91 Stat. 1625; 50 U.S.C. App. 5(b) note), were blocked as of June 16, 2000, and remained blocked immediately prior to the date of this order.

Sec. 2. Except to the extent provided in statutes or in regulations, orders, directives, or licenses that may be issued pursuant to this order, and notwithstanding any contract entered into or any license or permit granted prior to the date of this order, United States persons may not register a vessel in North Korea, obtain authorization for a vessel to fly the North Korean flag, or own, lease, operate, or insure any vessel flagged by North Korea.

Sec. 3. (a) Any transaction by a United States person or within the United States that evades or avoids, has the purpose of evading or avoiding, or attempts to violate any of the prohibitions set forth in this order is prohibited.

(b) Any conspiracy formed to violate any of the prohibitions set forth in this order is prohibited.

Basically, it's just prohibiting people in the United States from dealing with North Korea.

Nothing exciting here.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Johnmike]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
"Sec. 7. This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, instrumentalities, or entities, its officers or employees, or any other person."

If they try to use it against you, you can quote this last piece at them

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN

For someone trying to instate martial-law or force the country into accepting a third term, he sure has a funny way of going about it. Look at the last line of the executive order.

Furthermore, Congress may modify, rescind, or render dormant such delegated emergency authority.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Dug gummit, my predictions of this clown staying on as

Dictator are being realized.

Lets see how far this declaration of Emergency reaches!!!!

[edit on 27-6-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
well yeah, SaviourComplex, but we all know Congress is just as controlled as every other level, so it's no check or balance, just the necessary shadow of one.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Why is this appearing so contradictory to me? I thought we were OK with NK at the moment.

I know about the congressional controls, but we've seen how well those worked before.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Forget Congress.

Theywill go along with it and they have the same agenda.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Why is this appearing so contradictory to me? I thought we were OK with NK at the moment.

We have not been okay with the DPRK for over 50 years. Technically, we are still at war with them.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Unless I am absolutely mistaken, we were never 'at war' with them. It was a 'police action' - like Viet Nam. But it's all semantics, and of course you are correct. However, I had read that they had been cooperating towards whatever negotiated solution was on the table, up until now. Maybe I am just out of touch and missed a development in the news or something.

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 28-6-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'm just guessing here, at what's really going on.

But I've assumed that North Korea wouldn't be making such bold statements lately, if they weren't in some trouble. I've been really surprised at their sudden turn over in regards to their nuclear program. Something has to be behind it.

Maybe they are at a collapse; I know that their people are starving. I've been meaning to stick my nose out and see what I can find out.

The news articles have been careful to say, each time NK does something, that while this shows their good faith, and that they are doing some of the things we've asked them to, that this DOESN"T mean that sanctions will be lifted against them.

Which made me wonder...then why again are they doing it?

And now, reading this Declaration of Emergency, this makes me wonder if someone is going to push to lift the sanctions and basicly what Bush did, was yet another Executive branch power grab, ensuring that no one CAN lift sanctions unless he says so.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I have my own fears about Bush using his new found powers to retain office, but this aint it folks. I think some here, may be too busy jumping off the ship to actually take the time to find out if it was even sinking.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm afraid this is just the beginning.

It most likely will be handed out in small doses.

That scares the hell out of me.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex
For someone trying to instate martial-law or force the country into accepting a third term, he sure has a funny way of going about it. Look at the last line of the executive order.

Furthermore, Congress may modify, rescind, or render dormant such delegated emergency authority.
But the big question is.. Will they? They've been pretty useless so far in defending our rights as American citizens.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
But the big question is.. Will they? They've been pretty useless so far in defending our rights as American citizens.

Of course they will. The party controlling Congress is on the verge of controlling two branches of government. In light of this, do you actually think they would allow Bush a third term?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join