It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consumer revolt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
For too long pepole around the world have put up with higher prices, lower quality goods, poor service, and executives making excuses why they need to make more money. I am a capitolist, but I am also a consumer. I feel we should be getting a better value for our money than what we are getting... When I order food "special" (like with no tomatoes or well done) they should get it right the first time! 15% tip is for EXCEPTIONAL service not expected. I can hardly stand to walk into a retail store.

Now finaly we are starting to fight back.
Man Displays Anger With Company On Side Of House, Internet

Any other good ideas or comments?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
You get what you pay for.

I don't know what country your in, but I have found in America everyone wants something for nothing. So now we have cheap but complete trash for food(but we get a lot of it!) lead in our cheap toys. And products that don't last more then a week.

Americans got what they wanted. A lot for nothing, and it is garbage.

You want quality stuff? You have to pay for it. What kind of burger and service are you gonna get for 3$? when good beef is selling for 11$ a lb?

I shiver to think of what it is.

You want something nice? Then you have to pay for it. You have to pay for quality employees, you have to pay for quality materials to get a quality product.

You get what you pay for.

BTW, the tipping rate is 18%.

Now I will give this, I have had some really really crappy service, to be treated badly by the company. And the BBB gave me no help.

So some people do have a right to be pissed off. Like when things get ridiculous, 3 months to deliver your furniture. (had that happen to a coworker)

A radio station here used to have a program called the "mad hour" where people called in about the companies that were really bad. The worst one of the week got dinner certificates. It was a great show.

But the real problems aside.... people need to rethink their priorities. Get start aiming for quality over quantity.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

So why is it expected to give your church 10% but your waiter gets 20%?

That nuts.... I do 10% across the board.

Everything else I agree with.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I have to agree. But I am having trouble finding quality.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by irongunner

Bingo, even if you are willing to pay for quality it is not to be had. Everything is becoming cheaper, the prices are not going down but the difference in the quality is where profits are being made.

For example the Ruger 10/22 was made with metal for some of the trigger parts, then quietly they shifted to plastic. The price has not moved down but the product is now of a cheaper build.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
i have started my "hardly a dent in a dent impact" revolt by only buying what is necessary when it is necessary. the $$ i save from that has been great. i refuse to buy from walmart and am about ready to ban HEB the more i learn of the "going ons" of that retail store. i have been looking, when on the road (which isn't often bc i am revolting where i can w/ gas too) for mom and pop's, but they seem to have pretty much been run out by the bigger chains around here.

i am now researching how to grow my own food, but i have always lacked the "green thumb" i am so envious of in others (cactus never even seem to survive around me...... yeah, i said cactus).

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

IMO Nobody takes pride in their work anymore, whether it be manufacturing or service. People do the minimum they can get away with to get their wages. Politeness doesn't seem to be a requirement anymore and the old saying 'the customer is always right' seems to have become 'the customer is not important'.

For the few people that want to do a good days work, and give quality service it is extremely frustrating, you are considered a fool or a suck up (hope that was polite enough for the board.)

There is no pleasure in work anymore and I don't know which came first, the apathy or lowering of standards!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

For too long pepole around the world have put up with higher prices, lower quality goods, poor service, and executives making excuses why they need to make more money. I am a capitolist, but I am also a consumer. I feel we should be getting a better value for our money than what we are getting...

You say you are in favour of Capitalism but you don’t like the profiteering that is inherent to it.
You can't have one without the other!!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
i am now researching how to grow my own food, but i have always lacked the "green thumb" i am so envious of in others (cactus never even seem to survive around me...... yeah, i said cactus).

Seriously take a look at this: Square Foot Gardening, it absolutely works.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marsrising
You say you are in favour of Capitalism but you don’t like the profiteering that is inherent to it.
You can't have one without the other!!

That is not true at all. Look at when walmart started. They were great to their employees.

Look at Henry Ford. He believed in making product his employees could afford.

Its called a value plus relationship, sort of like a garage sale.
You get stuff that you want cheap (value to you). You are not taking advantage of the seller, they have a minimum price and a goal to get rid of the junk ( this is the plus part).

so we have Capitolism and happy consumers. Look at some of the best businesses. they may be more expensive, but they will have unconditional warrenties.

I think you can get rich and take care of customers... it just takes longer... thats what modern businesses dont like about the old school business style, it took a long time(relatively) to get rich, we now live in the the Me and NOW generation, where no one can delay gratification.

EDITED FOR SPELLING

[edit on 27-6-2008 by irongunner]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea

So why is it expected to give your church 10% but your waiter gets 20%?

That nuts.... I do 10% across the board.

Everything else I agree with.

Worship at home.

Eat at home.

Easily solved. Saved money across the board.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by A curious cat

I work for this company, they don't give anyone a raise, they often botch the payroll for people so they are not paid their full wage, they don't offer a living wage they only give you enough money to barely scrape by, they don't give you a vacation if you don't work a certain number of average hours and they give you just enough hours to be just under the minimum so they don't have to give you one at all, all the while telling you that you will have a vacation and its all lies, the illusion of benefits, the health and dental coverage they offer is extremely overpriced on top of the job paying less than is necessary to even make ends meet. The management is verbally abusive, every employee is highly expendable and the turnover rate is very high for people quitting and new people bieng hired. They neglect to give the breaks throughout the day that are legally required.

This is a slap in the face. In america, if people don't buy the products, the economy fails. someone has to work in the stores selling the merchandise or nobody can buy anything. Therefore this job is vital to the economy of the nation yet the compensation and benefits of performing this work are minimal at best. No respect.

It's been like this at every job that I have ever had.

I'm absolutely fed up. I stopped caring. I slack off, I tell customers every loophole and trick to get an advantage on the store, I allow people to return damaged and defective merchandise, I allow people to switch tags and get items at drastically lower prices. I encourage people to hurt this company. I hate this company. I would like to murder the executives of this company but since they are beyond my reach, the only way I can get my revenge is to do as much damage as possible from the inside. I am economic cancer. I hope this company goes bankrupt. I hope every company goes bankrupt. I want to break into your bank and burn all of your money. BURN IT ALL!

I am not alone.

I SAY TO YOU stop buying, stop consuming, stop being profitable, stop feeding the system. A slacker revolution. Fight the power.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

I just saw this.

Because your waiter pays taxes, and a church doesn't. Do you really only tip a waiter 10%?

That is half of what they should be getting.

You have a person working for you. That person has to pay taxes on your food. That person also has to tip the bartender,the busboy, and an expediter if they have one.

by only tipping 10%, they are only breaking even and basically working for free for you.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I disagree with your basic premise.

When I walk into a restaurant, I am purchasing food and service. If I want food only, I can go to a fast-food joint or a deli. Their prices are cheaper. I go to a restaurant so I can sit down and have a nice meal, including someone bringing it to me. That's what I pay for.

If the restaurant doesn't pay a waitress a fair wage, why is that my fault? If the government decides to tax someone on money they don't get, I will support a repeal of that part of the tax code. I won't pay for it. Simply put, I WILL NOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACTIONS (or inactions) OF OTHERS!

I tip for excellent service, and I tip very well when that service is very good. I will also leave a penny if the service is rotten or I will leave nothing if the service is so-so. The tip is a reward for exceptional service, not a part of the waitresses pay. I did not employ them, the restaurant did. I will not be coerced into directly paying the salary of someone I did not hire, and cannot fire. I do not pay the clerk in the department store, or the janitor in the truck stops. I appreciate their service, and will tell them I do, but I am not their employer.

I refuse to eat anywhere the tip is automatically added. That is false advertising. I pay the advertised price, or I don't pay. The tip is my business.

I also tip based on how I enjoyed the meal. I always leave my tip under the ashtray (which has saved me quite a bit in tips lately
). Why should I pay extra for a poor experience?

TheRedneck

P.S.: Who says it is 18%? It used to be 10%, then it was 15%... who's setting these figures?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by irongunner

great idea.

sadly it would never work for the simple fact you would never be able to get enough people to do it at the same time and make a diffrence..

new topics

top topics

join