It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SSN Akula to be given to indan navy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Why is Russia giving away its best subs to India? and does India have them by now cuz i read that the subs were given on june 15?.Imo the akulas are no match for the Virgina class submarines.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by greenjuice]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenjuice
Why is Russia giving away its best subs to India? and does India have them by now cuz i read that the subs were given on june 15?.Imo the akulas are no match for the Virgina class submarines.

I dont know? Are they? Have they? You have provided no link.

The Akula Class does not need to be a match or better than the Virginia Class as long as it is better than its near neigbours submarines, unless of course you are giving away Virginia Class subs.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I thought that they just "lease" the sub for 7-10 years and during that time a India-built Russian-technology sub/s are going to take other. Russia needs to sell arms to invest in future tech and to maintain what is left of its military complex. And there are a lot of stuff sold to India or about to be sold to India. What is it compared with leasing (or eventually even selling) single nuclear sub. For good money,too.
Also i assumed it is Akula-2 class. Could be wrong though.
Link if anyone is interested:
www.india-defence.com...

Now what will be Pakistani move in their mutual arms race, i wonder?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I think its also to do with maintenance.

A lot of old Ivan's equipment is rusting and in need of refurbishment. Lending it out to India means they get it back in 10 years looking nearly new; while building on their strategic and military link with India.

Not to mention, they also get cash for it

join