It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a musician OR musically talented?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

The REAL xylophones sound awesome. You shouldn't belittle that talent
Plus your Avatars are really good You could do the CD cover for the band

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
hi
I play guitar and sing.
Have played for around 20 years on and off.
I can sing harmony/support.
I sound like and have the same range as Thom Yorke (Radiohead), but when I try to sing Nirvana I nearly hurl.
I do justice to U2 songs and Peter Gabriel's, "Solsbury Hill".

I write stuff but don't write music, I can program and use sound generators, synths, desks, etc.
I used to play piano (rock 'n' roll) and twang rulers off a desk.

so, yeah, 5. (1,3 and 4)

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

That is VERY cool AshleyD. Nothing wrong with a xylophone at all! I remember going to a show and there were 3 different ones and these dudes were playing this medley type tune and it was DAMN fine!! There is always space for an extra instrument. Hell, if it can play a note and stay in tune LOL then who says we can't add ANY instrument to the mix!!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Joe Montana

Now THAT is also very cool Joe!! The more the merrier. I don't think we will just jump into this collaborative just yet. I would like to get a few musicians "together" and come up with a tune/song that we can incorporate all the instruments people are able to play. AND SING!! OR - i see there are writers of music and song... Perhaps something absolutely new and related to ATS subjects to some degree or other...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by shearder

All i want to know is:
1. Do you sing?
2. Do you write music?
3. Do you write songs?
4. Do you play an instrument?
5. Combination? (State which combination)

1. I can sing. Ever since I was young, but a few years ago I was at this music place getting a Certificate 1 in music and I got voice lessons to help me sing louder, lol
2. I've tried before, but I haven't really gotten around to it lately. Mainly when I was younger and I didn't know the proper notes
3. same as above lol. Although when I first started, I sounded more amature-ish, but I think I'm getting better. Well, you know, practice makes perfect!
4.I taught myself how to play a few simple songs on the keyboard, mainly Christmas carols like Silent Night and stuff. I'm also trying to get my dad to teach me the guitar, he keeps putting it off though! And I learnt a basic beat on the drums in high school, don't know if that counts..
5.All I guess?

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I sing, play guitar, piano, and write. I just started a new thread aimed at creating some collaborative music. You can check it out here. Glad to see there are a lot of musicians on here.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Parabol]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by shearder

Ok...
1. Do I sing>? Well, everyone can sing, I guess it's personal opinion whether it's any good or not. I've sang in a few cover bands, sang a few originals, and sang backup here and there...but...no...I'm no American Idol trained singer....
2. I've written music since I was in my teens, nothing prizewinning...just tunes here and there..
3. I have books full of random ramblings, that I've written thru the years, that's mostly what I would call my songwriting...
4. Guitar since I was 8, Drums for a couple years, I know music enough to be able to play backup bass, I'm no Flea though..
I can mumble on a piano, play a mean Crazy Train on a banjo....and nothing makes an acoustic song complete like a harmonica.

5. I mostly stick to the guitar, just playing the others for fun and understanding when I jam with friends. Nothing serious, I've played for almost 20 years, I do it out of the love, and the therapy it provides.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkly_Eyed777
1. I can sing. Ever since I was young, but a few years ago I was at this music place getting a Certificate 1 in music and I got voice lessons to help me sing louder, lol

VERY cool!! Yeah i find sometimes my voice is too powerful and loud and trying to tone it down i tend to not use my voice properly!

2. I've tried before, but I haven't really gotten around to it lately. Mainly when I was younger and I didn't know the proper notes

I can write "music" but only in terms of chords LOL... takes to long to do the staff and quaver stuff!!

3. same as above lol. Although when I first started, I sounded more amature-ish, but I think I'm getting better. Well, you know, practice makes perfect!

Yeah i know the feeling. The couple i have written were also very amateurish sounding. I haven't really tried that agin in many many years.

4.I taught myself how to play a few simple songs on the keyboard, mainly Christmas carols like Silent Night and stuff. I'm also trying to get my dad to teach me the guitar, he keeps putting it off though! And I learnt a basic beat on the drums in high school, don't know if that counts..

Yeah i need to learn to play the keyboard/piano. Something i have always wanted to do but never really gave it the time it deserves. Guitar - hmmm... get a song you like - something like a ballad with 3 or 4 chords - usually 3, learn the chords as you play the song. Then, transpose the song to different chords and learn those. i.e. if the song is in CFG then transpose, for example, to GCD or EAB then you have added more new chords. That's how i started and before long i could play almost any song with 3 or so chords hehehe... just an idea

5.All I guess?

Yep, basically

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Parabol

Cool - that's what this thread is all about
creating a collaboration!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by siFtInG

Great stuff. The more the merrier. I am hoping we can get a mix of instruments and eventually put something together. I don't want this to happen over night but not too far off either. Banjo sounds like a VERY nice addition!!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

VERY cool!! Yeah i find sometimes my voice is too powerful and loud and trying to tone it down i tend to not use my voice properly!

So, you have the opposite problem to me with singing then? I get that too sometimes, when I want to be louder. I think isn't it to do with the air and you have to train your muscles to be able to handle it properly? Or something like that, I can't remember. But when I had voice lessons, I had to do these breathing exercises and stuff. I just can't remember what it's called though. I can't remember how to do them, but I should probably try and find some info and start up again.

Guitar - hmmm... get a song you like - something like a ballad with 3 or 4 chords - usually 3, learn the chords as you play the song. Then, transpose the song to different chords and learn those. i.e. if the song is in CFG then transpose, for example, to GCD or EAB then you have added more new chords. That's how i started and before long i could play almost any song with 3 or so chords hehehe... just an idea

Hey thanks for that, I'm gonna try it

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

So, you have the opposite problem to me with singing then? I get that too sometimes, when I want to be louder. I think isn't it to do with the air and you have to train your muscles to be able to handle it properly? Or something like that, I can't remember. But when I had voice lessons, I had to do these breathing exercises and stuff. I just can't remember what it's called though. I can't remember how to do them, but I should probably try and find some info and start up again.

In a way i guess... It's using my diaphragm properly. I feel when i need to sing softer, especially if the little on is sleeping, i tend to lose a bit of quality. But, again, ifi am on stage and i can use my voice then it seems the dinamics of loud and soft are just perfect - go figure!!

That's how i started and before long i could play almost any song with 3 or so chords hehehe... just an idea

Hey thanks for that, I'm gonna try it

You are welcome. I think i remember the first song i ever played was "Where have all the flowers gone", very nice song but OLD - anyways. It had some funny chords for me THEN... SO i learned them. Just strummed the chords till i could change to the next chord "ok" and then strummed and learned to sing while i played - sounds strange but initially it can be tricky to keep coords in check LOL... Then once i could do this i listened to the song to her how the melody goes and then started to finger pick the strings to get the melody. Well, after a while i could play only 1 song and i think 4 chords but MAN!!! Could i play that song LOL

The downside to this is that when you can play one song like a bionic ninja it is expected that you can play almost any other song in the world and you can't hehehe

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   

In a way i guess... It's using my diaphragm properly.

Hey yeah, that's the name I was trying to remember, the diaphragm lol. It was kinda hard to get the hang of it at first, using my diaphragm to control the air. Well, it's still hard to get the hang of it, but that's probably why I need to practice more lol.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I play Guitar, Bass, recorder, keyboards and cello.

I write music, and very occasionally songs, I only sing when alone.

I studied music at college, unfortunately it was during this time that I discovered it wasn't my calling in life. I'm not especially talented. I just play because it's relaxing and fun.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

That's very cool Chewlip!! What are you most comfortable playing? i.e. most talent for a specific instrument?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

reply to post by Chewlip

That's very cool Chewlip!! What are you most comfortable playing? i.e. most talent for a specific instrument?

Well, at college I was usually the bassist in the various bands I've been in, so that I guess. Although guitar is second, keyboard third and cello fourth (I've only been messing about on the cello for a short time)

Actually... the recorder... I'm ace at that! hehe.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

hehehe well being good at anything is great
even the recorder! Surely if you can play a wind instrument like a recorder it wouldn't take much more to play the bag pipes?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Don't sing or write songs however I can play the piano, the computer (VST's & Samplers) and write music. I also DJ and my friends say I'm musically gifted however I've never actually finished anything I've started production wise due to my ability to get bored far too easily and start something new

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Hey! I play an instrument and i can sing. But i don't do them together loll Ok that's weird... :p But i play guitar, the bongo drums and harmonica, and once upon a time i knew piano xD
I suck at writing songs so i leave it to the pros loll Although i'd love to learn properly one day And i admire anyone who can ;D I admire musicians or anyone who can create some beautiful work of art loll

keep up the good work everyone!

[edit on 10/7/08 by pretty_vacant]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   

reply to post by Chewlip

hehehe well being good at anything is great
even the recorder! Surely if you can play a wind instrument like a recorder it wouldn't take much more to play the bag pipes?

Haha, I've never tried bagpipes. To be honest, I wouldn't really want to, and I don't think my housemates would appreciate it. I've tried the trumpet a few times, but it takes too much puff.

I can play the didgereedoo a little, but I can't get the circular breathing right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join