It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil - The World Needs Another Addiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Last week there was a meeting in Jeddah, at this meeting there were many oil producers and lots of high end business consumers as well as some politicians. The meeting has been dubbed a waste of time, the extra oil Saudi Arabia had agreed to pump has been more or less wiped out by production lost through rebel attacks on installations in Nigeria. With the failure that this meeting was, a lot of oil experts are saying that prices are going to remain high for the time being, so unlucky Mr. Joe Average. Although some people are saying that oil prices could fall soon, which has been mentioned here on abovetopsecret.com. It depends who you ask, but some people will say that we have either passed the point called 'Peak Oil', after which the rate it can be extracted begins an inexorable fall, or we are very close to it. Past the fore-mentioned point oil prices can only get higher and higher, don't fool yourself.

But there are options, this could be a great incentive for people to finally start getting low carbon emission fuel sources. use other recyclable fuel, for example we could start using solar power for a lot of good instead of oil burners and so on. If a lot of people don't change soon, then the demand for oil will increase which will lead to the prices getting well out of hand.

It is a known fact that we are Oil-Junkies, our dependence on it makes us nothing short of addicts. We are addicts with an ever-dwindling supply. We need to start to accommodate other options. We need to many start to see if we can make much cleaner and efficient cars. We already have some hybrid, Hydrogen and Electric cars but in some cases these cost more to run than petrol and diesel which is not an incentive to buy one. Tesla motors are hoping to release the 'Electric roadsters' which is meant to be able to do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, it can also travel approximately 250 kilometers between charges and its running cost is less than 1 cent per kilometer.

There are other options out there. So if we are going to be realistic, do we need to boot the hard stuff now before its too late ?

Fox

mod edit, title change per thread author

[edit on 28-6-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The biggest problem I see is that the "Oil Crisis" as well as "Global Warming" is a huge sham put on as a puppet show by the World Government to make everyone whine, whinge, and cry, and the solution has been thrown out like poisoned meat in the shape of the hybrid cars and alternative fuels.

Hybrid's are fine and all well and good, the thing is though, that all vehicles in current production like this for past few years, are automatically being produced with devices like OnStar and XM Radio/Sirius Radio and any other fancy gadgets you can think of that do amazing things for you.

The problem with this is simple though, you are in essence going to be tracked, followed in essence by satellites, or in a different vernacular, stalked by Government through civilian companies, reporting your every location, your every mile over the speed limit, reporting that back to the Government as well as the Insurance Companies, and since they've got it all documented electronically which will be uploaded to the satellites through OnStar or whatever, which is similar to the airplane/jet's black box recorder.

Do you honestly mean to say you trust our Government that much?

I've been stalked off and on all of My life, no thanks Government, I'm not interested.

[edit on 28-6-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply SpartanKL, I think that global warming is a sham. I think that the oil crisis is real though. When we are currently using 13,831,260,000 Liters of oil, A DAY. When we use this much can it possibly be denied that we are 'Oil Junkies'. When we are using this much oil on a daily basis it makes sence that we are running out. After all, there is not an endless resource of it for us.

Fox

[edit on 28-6-2008 by ProTo Fire Fox]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Planet earth is already fried. Astronauts have been sounding alarm for years now.

Has anyone listened? No.

We think things are bad now. Negative. Wait a decade.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Yes i do agree with you, with approximately 13,990,240,000 liters of Oil being used every day i cannot understand how some people are seeing this as more of a problem. I think this world is addicted to oil, and sooner-or-later this planet is going to have to go cold turkey and damn; its going to be bad if we are not prepared.

Thanks for title edit DTOM - Fox

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hey Fox, I submitted your ATS thread here to the DIGG outside news stories website. Make sure and get a DIGG account, so you can do it and gain more recognition. Good stuff you're doing here, keep up the great work.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The price of oil is being blamed on America for there dwindling dollar by some. Could a super-massive oil field be just what they need to get this problem equaled out; could this be what they need to get time and figure out how to get off the hard stuff ? Well ... they've found the field so now they have to use to time to pursue other fuel sources. Our generation will have oil, it may be expensive but were going to have it; can we say that for our grandchild's grandchildren ?

Fox

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Not trying to post a one liner or anything but you know you can make ethanol really cheap and it doesn't take much room and there are no laws against it you can look up how to home brew whiskey on the net and it's the same process I mowed my grass today with my first batch of ethanol (low volume run) and will keep doing this so check the quality it worked great and cost me about 80 cents a gallon including the buckets hoses and copper I needed...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProTo Fire Fox
Last week there was a meeting in Jeddah, at this meeting there were many oil producers and lots of high end business consumers as well as some politicians. The meeting has been dubbed a waste of time, the extra oil Saudi Arabia had agreed to pump has been more or less wiped out by production lost through rebel attacks on installations in Nigeria.

And isn't it interesting how even the small efforts of the main oil producers are undermined by strangely coincidental production losses elsewhere? Don't you think they may have gotten the message that if they are willing to pump a whole lot more it might be one of them that becomes 'redundant' so to speak?

With the failure that this meeting was, a lot of oil experts are saying that prices are going to remain high for the time being, so unlucky Mr. Joe Average.

Oil 'experts' are likely to keep telling us that oil prices will remain high as they are very likely to understand that there are is plenty of oil but few stupid enough to risk pumping it for fear of what might happen to their countries....As the speculative attacks against oil futures increases even average joe's , and their 'bad luck' has nothing to do with bad luck and in fact the result of well laid oil plans, are either forced to the conclusion that oil prices are heavily manipulated or that we are simply running out of that particular resource.

Although some people are saying that oil prices could fall soon, which has been mentioned here on abovetopsecret.com. It depends who you ask, but some people will say that we have either passed the point called 'Peak Oil', after which the rate it can be extracted begins an inexorable fall, or we are very close to it.

Some very well paid people will say exactly that but why would you believe them having observed all the odd 'upheavals' that coincidentally keeps striking oil producing nations? How long are otherwise intelligent people going to be fooled by these blatant attempts to create panic in the world markets? As for the whole notion of 'peak oil, as advocated by the peak freaks, the Hubert model was never intended to be used world wide and most certainly not when such large tracts of the world remains unexplored. Despite all the propaganda to the contrary world oil reserves are growing larger and larger every year despite the fact that profits keep rising and rising.

Past the fore-mentioned point oil prices can only get higher and higher, don't fool yourself.

Oil available might slow but if alternative technologies are introduced at the speed at which they could be oil prices might recede to very low levels despite a 'peak' in world oil that we may approach towards the middle of the current century.

But there are options, this could be a great incentive for people to finally start getting low carbon emission fuel sources. use other recyclable fuel, for example we could start using solar power for a lot of good instead of oil burners and so on.

People DO NOT need incentives as they have been advocating for renewable energy for a very long time. If our governments would act on our wishes oil production would not have to rise at all as the world economy keeps growing. When ignorant people blame other people for our dependence on oil they just admit to the fact that they are arrogant and that they have been very effectively propagandized.

If a lot of people don't change soon, then the demand for oil will increase which will lead to the prices getting well out of hand.

Since there are sufficient oil on the world markets to meet demand prices could fall back to the 30 dollar range the moment the speculative attacks recede but since the forces at work will lose a great deal of credibility in the process they are not going to abandon the speculative attack strategy very easily or very soon. Once again it wont take a whole lot of people to change as most people would very much like to have affordable solar and wind power ( or whatever else) which could make them independent from the grid. The only people that need to change are the policy makers who told us that they would look after our energy needs and generally act in our best interest only to abandon us to the not so free market the moment we gave them public offices.

It is a known fact that we are Oil-Junkies, our dependence on it makes us nothing short of addicts.

Speak for yourself, please.

We are addicts with an ever-dwindling supply.

And i suppose you believe that widely used drugs are in fact 'scarce' and that their costs to the user are in fact justified? Just like the price of drugs are hopelessly inflated by regulated and criminal law so the price of oil is pressed upward by a whole host of environmental protection laws, which are obviously not enforced when it comes to other industries, international speculation, threats of invasion and general organized terrorist campaigns against oil producing nations.

We need to start to accommodate other options.

'WE' don't need to do anything short of ensuring that our elected start doing the things we elected them to do.

We need to many start to see if we can make much cleaner and efficient cars. We already have some hybrid, Hydrogen and Electric cars but in some cases these cost more to run than petrol and diesel which is not an incentive to buy one.

We can do all that but what is the point when the government still has incentive strategies that gives small businesses ( and that means almost anything) a massive tax deduction for owning a hummer?

Electric car enthusiasts scoff at the affordability arguments. They point out that at the same time the EV1 was dropped, GM was busy promoting the most expensive and biggest gas guzzler of them all - the Hummer.

DAVE BARTHMUSS: I know that there are charges that we killed the electric vehicle program in order to create the Hummer, or be able to afford and pursue the Hummer program. Again, there is no conspiracy to cut off the electric vehicle because we wanted to pursue heavier and larger vehicles. People did not demand the EV1 from GM in large enough numbers, for us to pursue it.

CHRIS PAYNE: The Hummer was the ultimate SUV. And in fact, when it came out, you could get up to a $100,000 tax deduction if you were a small business owner for owning one. So the government gave a message to the people. The message was - buy these huge monstrosities. Meanwhile, the electric car, when they were on the road, the maximum tax credit you could get was $4,000. So this is how government shapes the future, and unfortunately the American Government was pushing Hummers and no wonder in some ways the car companies walked away from the EVs and concentrated on these Hummers.

news.sbs.com.au...

The problem isn't the people but the government who is doing it's best to provide incentives for continued dependence on oil which would then allow it to use that excuse to keep building aircraft carriers by which to intimidate oil producing nations into producing just barely enough oil to keep prices high and consumers under pressure; it's a brilliant strategy and it's not only fooling fools.

Tesla motors are hoping to release the 'Electric roadsters' which is meant to be able to do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, it can also travel approximately 250 kilometers between charges and its running cost is less than 1 cent per kilometer.

Which is once again only a car the people who could have afforded the gas consumption levels of the Hummer can afford to drive. The Tesla roadster are designed for the segment of the market that are likely to do far more environmental 'damage' ( if you believe in all that) in their private jets than anything driving the Tesla roadster can make up for.

There are other options out there. So if we are going to be realistic, do we need to boot the hard stuff now before its too late ?

Sure there are other options and everyone knows it but how many will be willing to spend so much up front to save a environment which they rigfhly understand to have very little to do with them at the moment?

Thanks for the reply SpartanKL, I think that global warming is a sham.

I'm surprise that you do as that one most certainly has more of a basis in reality than peak oil ever did or can pretend to have.

I think that the oil crisis is real though. When we are currently using 13,831,260,000 Liters of oil, A DAY. When we use this much can it possibly be denied that we are 'Oil Junkies'.

Find me someone who inject oil into his bloodstream and i can call him a junkie. Oil has contributed no end in the relatively prosperity a minority of humanity is experiencing today and if it wasn't for it even those few wouldn't have. If we were truly 'oil junkies' everyone would be living like western Europeans and the world consumption of oil would probably have been three or four times higher than it is today; if oil is a addiction i can assure you that the majority of the world would like to be just as 'addicted' as the few of us who can afford to sit around disagreeing with each other online.

When we are using this much oil on a daily basis it makes sence that we are running out. After all, there is not an endless resource of it for us.

Sure we will run out of the resource is at all limited but when? Why are world reserves growing?

Stellar

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Fox, it might help to include website links to organizations like Halliburton, BP Amoco, Royal Dutch/SHELL, or Exxon to back up some of your theories.

I'm sure you're thinking of them while writing on here, but some other ATS'ers need visual aids to go with the threads.

or even this :

Wikipedia - Halliburton

Wikipedia - BP Amoco

Wikipedia - Royal Dutch Shell

Wikipedia - Exxon

This should help with some fact-finding information in the oil industry.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Okie, so you don't agree with me that we are 'Oil Junkies'. Could we go about our day-to-day lives without it in some way, shape or form. Wikipedia's definition of an 'addict' is ...

In medical terminology, Addiction is a state in which the body relies on a substance for normal functioning.

I have included the first part so that you see it says, medical terminology; i am not trying to deceive anyone, so i am adding in every part of it. If we turn this into a simple metaphor we see what I'm trying to say. Lets brake it down to its simplest form...

Addiction is a state in which the body relies on a substance for normal functioning.

So as i said; can you function normally in a day without interaction with Oil in anyway, shape or form ?

Fox

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Thanks for those links SpartanKL, they are very useful in this thread; i feel some readers my need some, i learnt a little from them.

Thanks - Fox

new topics

top topics

join