It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lightnin' Bugs And Stuff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Allright!
Another beautiful evening here on the East Coast. Low 80's, virtually no humidity. The clouds in the sky are ablaze in colors DaVinci only wishes he could duplicate as the sun makes her final stand as she dances below the horizon.
I am so lucky.
I witness this beautiful event while the breeze carresses my body. My son is sitting in my lap as I tell him a story. A couple bats begin to do their erratic flight above us. Not scary at all. Beautiful actually.
I am so glad to be alive.
As the darkness envelopes us, I see the flickering of Fire Flies. We call the Lightning Bugs here in Jersey. They are abundant.
Now my son and I have caught many lightning bugs in the past. OK. OK. I'm the one who actually caught them - but he was right there with me.
After I told him his story, tonight it was a Buffy The Vampire Slayer vs. the haunted house story, he sat up and said "Let's catch those lightning bugs Daddy!"

"You got it little Dude!"

He gets up and runs around the circumference of the pool and towards the pool house.

"Stay away from the edge of the pool Dude!"

"Daddy Stop it! I know!"

He runs to the pool house and goes to the yard behind it. The little lights flash everywhere as the flying insects proceed with their mating ritual.
So I, with jar in hand, get ready to catch some of those lightning bugs

"DADDY! I caught one!"
He comes running over with his hand out. YEAH! He had one in his hand!

"Awesome Dude!"

We put it gently in the jar. In seconds I hear:

"Daddy! I have another one!"

He did! Another one! Again in the jar. This went on for awhile. He caught quite a few. The jar was pretty crowded. We put it on the deck table, and it would flash continually. Pretty cool stuff! The amazement and wonder on his face were something that money could never buy.
Tonight was a milestone. I always include him on our adventures. Yep. I said adventures. I try to make EVERYTHING an adventure. Something he'll never forget. I learned that from my Pop-Pop. Anyway I usually do the work, but make him think he did it. It's a Dad thing. Tonight HE did it. I feel two ways right now. I am a little saddened that he can do it himself without me, but I am VERY HAPPY that he did it himself. Does that make sense?

"Daddy?"

"What's up my man?"

"Can I bring the light bugs in my room?"

"Nope. They need to go home."

"But Daddy, this is our home."

"Yep. But their home is here in the yard."

"Oh."

"Here let's take the lid off." I reach for the jar.

"No Daddy! I want to do it!" He reaches for the jar and grabs it.

"Here Buddy, let me help."

"Daddy! Stop! I want to do it."

Gosh, he's growing up so quickly.

"Here. I'll hold the jar. You take off the lid. Deal?"

"Deal."

He takes off the lid, and in a couple of minutes all of the insects find their way out and take flight.

The back yard is ablaze in flashing lights. Awesome!

Another milestone. A complete reversal in Dad/Kid negotiations.

"Daddy can we do this again tomorrow?"

"Promise?"

"I promise Daddy."

It goes by so quickly. Too quickly. I pray every day that my son lives to a very old age. It's funny. I hope he lives to be 100+ years old, but if I could have every one of those 100 years keeping him at this age I would do it. Pretty selfish and strange, eh?

"Daddy?"

"What's up Little Dude?"

"Tall me a Mummy Story!"

He climbs into my lap.

"Comfy?"

"Uh-Huh!"

"Give me a kiss Buddy."

He kisses me on the cheek, and I get a big squeezy hug.

"Mummy Story Dude?"

"Yep. Make it a scary one Daddy!"

"Once upon a time..........."

Jim Croce said it all - "If I could keep time in a bottle."

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Lightnin' bug update and stuff. I'm heading out the door as I type, but I had to let you know. L'il Dude has indoctrinated both he and myself 'Fire Fly Rangers' this morning.

How could I ask for anything more?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I remember being a kid and no one told me you cannot keep them in a jar very long. I had a nice sized collection of them the night before, but found in the morning they all mysteriously went to sleep!

I hope, Lombozo, that you are still a member 7 or 8 years from now when he goes through his teens and then tell us how quickly time flies. They do grow up fast.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

Unless I get banned, I will be a member here as long as I can still draw a breath. The stories will keep coming, as they are the only legacy of his growth that I have. When he get's a little older, he will be a member here. Then he can see what I have written.
Wait until you see his sense of humor!
Good times. I can't wait to see what contributions he can, and will make. I'll be so proud, but I'll threaten to ban his butt if he get's out of line.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

I want to stay here just to see that.

top topics

join