It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kucinich: 'We went to war for the oil companies'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   

rawstory.com

Rep. Dennis Kucinich, who has introduced measures to impeach George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, said Thursday that oil executives who secretly met with the vice president in 2001 should be held criminally liable for pushing an illegal war.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
At least one person in charge is speaking out against this. I wonder how many other politicians will sit back and turn a blind eye. Amazing, we don't hold these people accountable. Time is running out, we better wake up, for we all fall.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
As my old friend Duke (nukem) used to say: "Balls of steel". I do wish kucinich all the best, he seems to be a good man and walking the good path. I just hope his wife isn't MI6. Or maybe she is and got him to do this. You never know with MI6, not even their gadgets are what they appear to be...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I just hope he wont get so depressed over all of this of not getting Bush or Cheney impeached . And goes home and commits suicide by shooting him self twice in the head with a hand gun from behind

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Yeah! Go Dennis! Tell it like it is! Nice to see a politician standing up for what's right, for a change. I just wish either he or Ron Paul had won their nominations. I don't think anything is going to change in the near future, even with people like Kucinich speaking out.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Finally! A bit of validation for the masses who saw this sham of a war for what it was, right from the very beginning!

But, having said that, if somebody in power is standing up to state the obvious it is my opinion that it is tantamount to the band playing on board the Titanic. Sure it comforts us but it won't change a thing. The guilty will not have allowed this acknowledgement to surface unless culpability was already off the table.

Bush Immunity

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Pretty interesting article!

In March 2001, two years before Iraq was invaded, Cheney met with top executives from Exxon Mobil Corp., Shell Oil Co., BP America Inc. and others on his infamous secret Energy Task Force.

Kucinich seemed to accuse participants in that meeting of plotting the invasion of Iraq. There's no indication that the participants discussed military action, although documents later released showed they did eye Iraq's oil fields.

The White House convinced the Supreme Court to let it keep secret the proceeding's of Cheney's task force, although the Washington Post later revealed most of its activities.

Kucinich accused the US government of forcing Iraq to privatize its oil fields, which are estimated to hold more than 100 billion barrels of oil, and keeping US troops at war to protect the oil reserves.

Funny how Cheney has this "secret" Energy Task Force meeting with "Big Oil" and NOW the price of oil is thru the roof. They had discussions about Iraq's oil fields and now these big oil companies are being handed the rights to drill Iraqi oil.

Coincidence?

Congress needs to find out what was actually discussed, in whole, at that Energy Task Force meeting!

Maybe once Bush & Co. are out of office Kucinich could get the Supreme Court to make the documents from that meeting accessible for review.

Why would the government, Cheney, have to have a "private", "secret" meeting with "Big Oil" anyway?

[edit on 6/28/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Found another article about this I thought was also interesting!

It Was Oil, All Along

After a long exile, Exxon Mobil, Shell, Total and BP are back in Iraq. And on the wings of no-bid contracts – that's right, sweetheart deals like those given Halliburton, KBR, Blackwater. The kind of deals you get only if you have friends in high places.

Was this Cheney's planning?

To get these oil companies BACK into Iraq?

And these war profiteers have friends in very high places.

Let’s go back a few years to the 1990s, when private citizen Dick Cheney was running Halliburton, the big energy service company.

That’s when he told the oil industry that, “By 2010 we will need on the order of an additional fifty million barrels a day. So where is the oil going to come from? While many regions of the world offer great oil opportunities, the Middle East, with two-thirds of the world's oil and the lowest cost, is still where the prize ultimately lies.”

Sure sounds like Cheney had his eyes on a place like Iraq for a long time!

Did Cheney finally get his prize?

Fast forward to Cheney’s first heady days in the White House. The oil industry and other energy conglomerates have been handed backdoor keys to the White House, and their CEOs and lobbyists were trooping in and out for meetings with their old pal, now Vice President Cheney.

The meetings are secret, conducted under tight security, but as we reported five years ago, among the documents that turned up from some of those meetings were maps of oil fields in Iraq – and a list of companies who wanted access to them.

Congress should REALLY order an investigation into these allegations to see what was really going on with Cheney and his "pals".

[edit on 6/28/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Let's assume for a minute that what Kucinich says is true.

That a group of oil execs met with Cheney and discussed invading Iraq.

So what? What law was broken? It sounds like they were just exercising their First Amendment rights.

If "pushing war" is a crime, then why isn't "pushing for peace"?

Kucinich is a moonbat. He's tilting at windmills, as usual. He should go play with his BigWheels in the driveway.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Ohhh your not a federal employee are you by any chance ? or an oil employee ? Becky, your stance seems a bit... Oil / Fed war orientated.

dammit, if you see nothing wrong with oil companies using a nations military to destroy millions of lives, killing thousands upon thousands and invading soverign countries, i guess you had no problems then with hitler invading all those countries he did for economic gain..

I read some real whacked posts on ATS, but yours just won the first prize hands down.

No problem with oil companies pushing for war through the vice President...

Im speechless, i don't know where to start......

[edit on 28-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
reply to post by jsobecky

Ohhh your not a federal employee are you by any chance ? or an oil employee ?

dammit, if you see nothing wrong with oil companies using a nations military to destroy millions of lives, killing thousands upon thousands and invading soverign countries, i guess you had no problems then with hitler invading all those countries he did for economic gain..

I read some real whacked posts on ATS, but yours just won the first prize hands down.

No problem with oil companies pushing for war through the vice President...

Im speechless, i don't know where to start......

Yeah, I'm an Undercover Agent For The FBI!!

You're speechless because someone stated a fact and asked a question?

Someone actually dared go against the Groupthink?

Put your emotion away. Dispense with the hysteria, and answer my question:

What law was broken?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Lets start at the beggining shall we Becky ?

First it depends what remains hidden from view. It depends if this was executed for a private individuals gain. It depends on alot of factors that are still held secret and in the dark.

However, the war was in its entirety illegal for a start.

International lawyers and anti-war campaigners reacted with astonishment yesterday after the influential Pentagon hawk Richard Perle conceded that the invasion of Iraq had been illegal.
In a startling break with the official White House and Downing Street lines, Mr Perle told an audience in London: "I think in this case international law stood in the way of doing the right thing."

President George Bush has consistently argued that the war was legal either because of existing UN security council resolutions on Iraq - also the British government's publicly stated view - or as an act of self-defence permitted by international law.

But Mr Perle, a key member of the defence policy board, which advises the US defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, said that "international law ... would have required us to leave Saddam Hussein alone", and this would have been morally unacceptable.

French intransigence, he added, meant there had been "no practical mechanism consistent with the rules of the UN for dealing with Saddam Hussein".

Mr Perle, who was speaking at an event organised by the Institute of Contemporary Arts in London, had argued loudly for the toppling of the Iraqi dictator since the end of the 1991 Gulf war.

"They're just not interested in international law, are they?" said Linda Hugl, a spokeswoman for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, which launched a high court challenge to the war's legality last year. "It's only when the law suits them that they want to use it."

Guardian: War in Iraq was illegal

So....

U.N. Resolution 1441 didn't authorize the immediate use of force, only the inspections for WMD in Iraq. "The war wasn't authorized by Article 39, so it was an act of aggression by Bush and Blair," said Weston.

Under the standards of the Nuremberg trials, the war in Iraq is considered a crime against peace. "If the regime engages in war crimes, the architects of the war are considered war criminals. Therefore Bush and his entourage are war criminals under international law," concluded Weston.

counter punch

The laws broken ? hmmm.... lets start with all those who planned an executed an illegal war are war criminals.

That enough of a start for you ? they did break laws, major international laws.

War criminals.

Still waving that oil flag Becky ?

[edit on 28-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It's time someone who has even a little bit of power finally said something. unfortunatly nothing will come of this.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
So, if we went to war for oil, where is it?

If we went to war for oil, why are we still beholden to Saudi and Venezuealan oil?

If we went to war for oil, why are we fighting about drilling our own?

If we went to war for oil, shouldn't we be getting some of this oil?

Could it be that the oil still belongs to the Iraqis?

Could it be that we didn't go to war for oil, after all?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Kucinich is something of an enigma. Born and raised in Cleveland, OH all my life I feel a special attachment to him.
Met and spoke with him at Mr. Z's on W117th his favorite haunt.
The mob had a hit out on him in the 70's. A gi bleed and trip to hospital saved his life and out of parade route. Mob was strong in c town in 70's.
He saved cleveland public power and put city in default when cei was ready to take over.
He reminds me of a runt pit bull. One you'd think you could slap off and ends up attached to your booty.

One of the few representatives that have not been garnished with transgression.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Ypou forgot the 2007 oil law in Iraq.

American companies get a big slice of the pie.

Thats where your oil is. Thats where the American companies are going to make and are making a killing... add all war porifts to halliburton et al and corporate america has made a total killing from this war.

So... add it all up, and the reasomn the USA is hassling other countries is down to one word and one word only. profits.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by jhill76

Let's assume for a minute that what Kucinich says is true.

That a group of oil execs met with Cheney and discussed invading Iraq.

So what? What law was broken? It sounds like they were just exercising their First Amendment rights.

If "pushing war" is a crime, then why isn't "pushing for peace"?

Kucinich is a moonbat. He's tilting at windmills, as usual. He should go play with his BigWheels in the driveway.

Sociopathic fun with free speech!

The context for going to war with Iraq was 9/11. March of 2001-- huh !

Precognitive Iraqi oil speculation!

-Not only does Becky have the moral compass of Charlie Manson...Becky also provides good leads to fantastic posts titles!-
ouy

PEOPLE like you or me, iraqi children- American troops do not deserve to be blown up, shot ... murdered ... for the financial benefit of billionaires.

But once your gone your gone, JSO will probably cite population control, presidential privilege, freedom and capitalism.

What is it called when men sit around and discuss killing in order to make money???

[edit on 28-6-2008 by mental modulator]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Some may find it of interest that this meeting occured shortly before 9/11.

en.wikipedia.org...

I don't think the interest was in directly obtaining oil, controlling it is far more important.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Becky drinks oil and loves it!

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
So, if we went to war for oil, where is it?

If we went to war for oil, why are we still beholden to Saudi and Venezuealan oil?

If we went to war for oil, why are we fighting about drilling our own?

If we went to war for oil, shouldn't we be getting some of this oil?

Could it be that the oil still belongs to the Iraqis?

Could it be that we didn't go to war for oil, after all?

"We" refers to citizens of the USA I think?

If this is the "we" you are referring to then your questions are valid.

If you apply the fact that "you" or "me"= we are/ is NOT a Multi national oil conglomerate then that changes the logic thus changing the answer!

Oil companies have no financial sovereignty and hold no official allegiance to the US citizen.

So why would any oil taken from Iraq mean cheaper or more US oil?? Its all Money no honey...

I find it funny that people cannot even go out a limb-- Chenny Oil billionaire - Rice oil billionaire - Bush family Super oil billionaires.

Iraq one of the largest oil reserves in the world?

If you remove the official titles from these three people what would be an obvious motive to control interests in one of the most oil rich regions on earth???

Considering 9/11 had nothing to do with Iraq --- Pre Invasion intel regarding WMD was "selected" to be in belief of Iraq WMDs-- "No WMD's under here"

What is the obvious motivating factor - freedom or money???

Why in hell would these self absorbed people care about a tyrannical leader on the other side of the planet ?

Why not focus on Osama?

<<   2 >>

join