It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Condemnation of the Human Race

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I really do have a dim view of humanity. Over the centuries we have utterly failed as our planet's caretakers. We search for the slightest reason to exaggerate and create an excuse to anhilliate each other. Always, we search for greater means to kill. We have enough armament, some in the hands of the worst humans, to destroy this planet many times over. Also, we behave like an adaptable virus. We enter an area, adapt to utilize it, use up and totally deplete the resources, and leave to make another place desolate as well. Now, with space travel advancing, we have a chance of colonizing and screwing up the other planets. Don't give me the stuff about preserving nature and planting new trees. We do more harm than good. We cause harm to Earth and our own race. The world deserves better caretakers. Best case scenario for the world, a plague wipes us out, and clears the way for evolution to create a better ruling race.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sobek52

What a bunch of emo self loathing. The reality of humanity is most of us are good people that try and do the best we can with the circumstance fate deals us. At the very top of the pyramid of inequity that is our social structure, sure, there are bad people who are contaminating everything, but saying the whole species is like that is an insult to the majority of humanity. We can be caretakers of the planet too. So stop being a negativist.

Besides, the planet is not in danger, we are the ones being tested. Either we conform to the natural way and be happy or we don't, as a species, and probably either go extinct on this planet or get wiped out to a minority. My money is we make it if we don't waste time with silly self loathing and actually educate ourselves.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Geez...we suck. Let's just give up trying to improve ourselves and commit suicide.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I'm with Zeph here. So we're screwing up, either we learn from it and grow or we die off as a species. Those are our choices.

Were lousy caretakers of our crib. Most babies in a crib are pretty lousy about cleaning up after themselves. Yes, I said babies, cause as a species that's pretty much what we are. Were crapping all over everything and eating everything in sight, other than that, there's really not much use for us.

Give us time though, we will grow up.

Best case scenario: We learn to take care of one another and our home, Earth. Eventually we get to go outside and play with other kids on the cosmic block.

Worst case scenario: We make the planet uninhabitable for human beings and die off. We're not killing the planet, Earth will go on. The worst we can do is destroy ourselves. In a million years or so the planet will be just like new, only without us.

Either way I'll have been long dead so I really don't give a crap. What infant really does?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
If you were to view us from outer space, we'd appear like a disease or some kind of parasite ravaging the planet.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Unless you look at the night side and see all those beautifull lights that are our cities. We can be seen as a cancer or a vascular system, it's all a matter of interpretation, although I admit with this is elitist f***-up of a corporate economy we are leaning towards cancer.

But it's not our fault, it's our weakness, we'll grow out of it I trust.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This reminds me of the way, way left liberals (so far left I'm not convinced they are liberals) who advocate that we should kill ourselves because humanity sucks so bad.

Oddly, they never volunteer.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I agree that most people have good intentions, but most lack the drive to help the planet. And im not emo
Its quite simple. Evolve or die. We must adapt to the world we screwed up, and make a dedicated effort to unscrew it. Sadly, political ideologies, race, locale religion, etc., make this quite hard.
I say that mass suicide (not by big nukes or bombs or chemical weapons) would be benificial overall for the planet. BUT i think that the human race still holds a glimmer of hope, so we must evolve to be help and being part of this planet, not leeching off of it.
THERE IS HOPE

[edit on 26-6-2008 by sobek52]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
If you wrote that first post, you're emo, sorry.

Edit to reply to your edit: Make up your mind. Mass suicide, hope... where are we? Just live your life, this planet has had life for probably a billion years + and it's survived being hit by asteroids the size of islands going 20 000kmh. Do you think we have enough energy to even make a dent on this planet? We're nothing but a tiny glimpse of time and we shouldn't waste our lives away to save a planet that is far more alive and resilient than we are.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by Zepherian]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Please center any and all responses to the topic, "My Condemnation of the Human Race".

Any further posting of other posters may result in action.

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Live your life. Live it well. Help those who need it. Try to help humanity. When time is up, die peacefully with the knowledge that you made a positive impact.
Really, i hope people will turn around, get off their butts and do some good. But otherwise, humans will be destroyed, most likely by itself. I hope it does not come down to that. With alternative energies emerging, maybe will will stop being leeches, and become symbiotes to the planet, maybe even the Solar System, Galaxy. Maybe if we're not so concentrated on killing each other, we could make serious international technological advancements.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Every time Humans try to do something to"improve the environment" something else goes wrong. Trying to even live within what we perceive as harmony seems to cause problems for one group or another. There are habits that do have to change but to try and fix every perceived harm to Mother Earth is going to backfire on us! Humans aren't always the problem.

Zindo

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sobek52
we behave like an adaptable virus. We enter an area, adapt to utilize it, use up and totally deplete the resources, and leave to make another place desolate as well.

That is so wrong. My friend, you have watched "The Matrix" one too many times.

Rome has stood for thousands of years. It's still a growing city. The resources are not depleted and it continues to grow.

We move into an area and adapt it, that's a given, but we do not deplete it's resources and move on.

We have massive cities with millions of people and they hustle and bustle with constant growth. The people are fed, the energy needs are supplied and as a species, we continue.

We are probably the most dominant species this planet has ever seen, but we are not a virus. We will never kill our host, we will only see how far we can go.

Love and light,

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
But we do kill the planet. Due to global warming and all, every year, an area the size the state of Maine becomes desert. Don't even get me started on deforestation. We pollute the oceans, killing the life within. The atmosphere is being poisoned as well. And yes, I agree, some attempts at solving this will backfire.
In the case of Rome, it's a good place for people to thrive. With imports and exports and faster shipping of modern time, Earth's cities have longer life spans. But eventually, some catastrophe, economic, seismic, atmosheric or other will come along, and the area will be largely abandoned, as inhabitants move somewhere else.
[edit on 27-6-2008 by sobek52]

[edit on 27-6-2008 by sobek52]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sobek52

Over the centuries we have utterly failed as our planet's caretakers.

Remind me again, please -- who appointed us to that post?

As far as I can see, we are just one species among others, and are behaving exactly as they would in our position.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
We exploit the planet, often quite needlessly, and don't give anything back. Soon, if we don't change to start to help and become eco friendly, we will die out.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Also, it is human greed that keeps us from advancing with, say, alternative energy. The Oil Shiekes (or however you spell it) keep prices low enough that we stay hooked on oil, high enough to make incredible profits.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sobek52

And how are we supposed to "give back" to a planet? One thing is to try and pass it to future generations just as we received it (and it was polluted even then) and another is to worship a huge object because you happen to be created on it and dependent on it among other stuff.
Humans are not evil nor good. Bacterias, viruses are not evil or good.
Why you do not suggest elimination of all bacteria? They also behave "nasty" if looked at from space by external and objective observer.
Earth does not have mind or will. We do. When we throw toxic waste on Earth's surface - planet does not care/mind/suffer. We do. Other life forms do. So we are behaving barbarically - but not with a giant rock/mineral formation of which there are enormously great number in a space. We do not care (or care very little) about what we as a whole do to other life forms and our own future generations.
But this egoistic behavior could be explained if you ask how old are we compared to universe. Kids are more self-centered then adults.
So kid should commit suicide because of that?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by sobek52

But you haven't replied my question! Are you ignoring me?

Again: who appointed us caretakers of this planet?

What makes us different from every other species?

All species exploit their environment and resources to the limit and beyond. What keeps them in check is biological competition and natural selection, not some abstract goodwill towards nature. We're just terribly successful as a species, which is why we consume so many resources, possibly even placing the planet in danger. But other animals (and even plants!) would do the same if they could. In fact they do -- see kudzu vines in the American South, rabbits in Australia, various species of ants and earthworms everywhere, locusts, etc., etc. I repeat - any species in our position would do the same as we are doing.

Your view of humanity seems to be coloured by some romantic ideas that don't hold up to scrutiny.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join