It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Well is Now Solar!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
How many gallons does your holding tank actually hold? And also if the tanks are above ground, do you plan to grow folliage (herbal or edible)around it to hide it during Sitx? Also since it is above ground, does the water come out kind of warm or do you get cool water too?
Love what you have done and again, can we move in? Jk.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
How much did it cost?

The pump prices are on the site posted in the OP (about 2k, I think?) then the panels, labor and installation and any added "stuff" is going to depend on a lot of things. How much work you do, the starting condition (is there a well already dug?) local charges, etc. There's no way I could even estimate a price for you. You'd have to talk to your locals to even get an estimate of the total job.

Can we move in with you?

No.

Edit to tell you that I am very proud of the intelligent steps you have taken!

Aw, shucks! Thanks.

Originally posted by antar
How many gallons does your holding tank actually hold?

You mean the big above ground tanks? No clue. The dogs are about 60 lbs each, so you can see they're pretty huge. My husband estimates approximately 6000-8000 gallons total.

And also if the tanks are above ground, do you plan to grow folliage (herbal or edible)around it to hide it during Sitx?

They're pretty much hidden simply by the landscaping and their location on the property. I don't think they can be seen unless one is already on the property, inside the fence. And aside from the 2 dogs in the picture, we have 2 trained GSDs that people would have to get through to get to the tanks.

They look sweet here (and they are) unless someone comes on the property.

Also since it is above ground, does the water come out kind of warm or do you get cool water too?

We definitely get cool water. It's not cold in the summer, but it's what we drink all the time. We don't refrigerate it or use ice. Occasionally, in the depths of summer, it's a little more "warm", but still drinkable.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
That's a great set-up you have there BH. Thanks for sharing those pics with us. I would love to have something like that someday. Cool stuff.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
hrmmm...

Now somebody needs to tell me how to rig that up to my apartment...

I wanna be a homeowner...

Coven

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus If you've done any drawings of the system, I'd really be interested in seeing them, the connections, etc.

Here's the system and how it works. The picture doesn't show it but we have a standard pressure tank attached to Pump B.

Pump A (solar) pumps water into the storage tanks.
Pump B (electric) pumps water up to our house.

If only Pump A is running, the water goes into the tanks.
If Pump A and Pump B are running at the same time, water goes directly from the well to our house.
If only pump B is running, it pulls water from the tanks for the house.

edit on 1/2/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

VERY sweet set-up BH! Sounds like you are pretty much set-up for whatever, and guess what? That's exactly what will happen.

Since I last posted on this thread, we went through an awful hurricane in Nov. of 2008, and after that, I put our house pressure on solar as well as an additional bilge pump which I use to circulate water through a homemade solar collector to heat our hot tub. People think we're crazy for having a hot tub in the tropics.......... we just finished painting the entire inside of the house (which means moving everything at least three times) and the two of us are whipped. De ol' hot tub g'wan feel good tonight. The ambient temperature shot up to 80 degrees F. today, so I know the tub is probably a delightful 103 degrees.

Solar water pumping and solar water heating are both no-brainers to me, in that they both pay for themselves very quickly. Good on you for updating you thread!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join