It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's prison for terrorists often held the wrong men

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

America's prison for terrorists often held the wrong men

www.mcclatchydc.com

An eight-month McClatchy investigation in 11 countries on three continents has found that Akhtiar was one of dozens of men — and, according to several officials, perhaps hundreds — whom the U.S. has wrongfully imprisoned in Afghanistan, Cuba and elsewhere on the basis of flimsy or fabricated evidence, old personal scores or bounty payments.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Have a read. McClatchy seems to have done a nice job uncovering just some of the abuses and horrors of Guantanamo.

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-6-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Nice find.

I wish I could say I was surprised but when the Red Cross released that 70% of the prisoners in certain Iraq prisons were innocent and we began releasing prisoners back to their families in large numbers shortly afterwards that had been locked up for extensive periods of time, I lost all faith in the method in which this "war on terror" is being carried out. I had very little to begin with.

It seems that the method of prevention of future attacks involves arresting everyone and waiting to see if they have any information to give up. Some of those people have gone through terrible abuses for no reason at all.

We talk endlessly about the importance of freedom, yet remove it indefinitely from innocent men and women with impunity, without justification, and with no intention of bringing any case to trial in the near future. They are guilty until proven guilty, and don't deserve anything close to the rights our prisoners would have. At the same time we claim we are there to give them the template for our superior way of life.

It is disgustingly hypocritical and sadly against the very ideals we must uphold.

- Lee

join