It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama On the Second Amendment Don’t Believe Him!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
FACT: Barack Obama voted to allow reckless lawsuits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry.1

FACT: Barack Obama wants to re-impose the failed and discredited Clinton Gun Ban.2

FACT: Barack Obama voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sport shooting.3

FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a complete ban on handgun ownership.2

FACT: Barack Obama supports local gun bans in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and other cities.4

FACT: Barack Obama voted to uphold local gun bans and the criminal prosecution of people who use firearms in self-defense.5

FACT: Barack Obama supports gun owner licensing and gun registration.6

FACT: Barack Obama refused to sign a friend-of-the-court Brief in support of individual Second Amendment rights in the Heller case.

FACT: Barack Obama opposes Right to Carry laws.7

FACT: Barack Obama was a member of the Board of Directors of the Joyce Foundation, the leading source of funds for anti-gun organizations and “research.”8

FACT: Barack Obama supported a proposal to ban gun stores within 5 miles of a school or park, which would eliminate almost every gun store in America.9

FACT: Barack Obama voted not to notify gun owners when the state of Illinois did records searches on them.10

FACT: Barack Obama voted against a measure to lower the Firearms Owners Identification card age minimum from 21 to 18, a measure designed to assist young people in the military.11

FACT: Barack Obama favors a ban on standard capacity magazines.12

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory micro-stamping.13

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory waiting periods.2

FACT: Barack Obama supports repeal of the Tiahrt Amendment, which prohibits information on gun traces collected by the BATFE from being used in reckless lawsuits against firearm dealers and manufacturers.14

FACT: Barack Obama supports one-gun-a-month sales restrictions.9

FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on inexpensive handguns.9

FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on the resale of police issued firearms, even if the money is going to police departments for replacement equipment.9

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory firearm training requirements for all gun owners and a ban on gun ownership for persons under the age of 21.9

www.nraila.org...
I am going to have to say no to obama on this issue.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
While I do not believe him on the subject of the 2nd amendment and think he is very much on the 'anti' side of the gun ownership debate, in reality, his position is largely irrelevant.

Why?

Because the Democratically controlled Congress, by and large, certainly is anti-gun. With their numbers likely to increase in both houses this fall, congressional Democrats can force Obama's hand on the issue even if he's more pro-gun than I believe. They can play a much more effective game of hardball than he can, blocking and watering down the other aspects of his agenda if they wish. Republicans certainly wouldn't come to his rescue. He'd be an immediate lame duck if he resisted his own party on such a major issue.

So in the end, pro-gun or anti-gun, an Obama presidency will almost assuredly mean more gun restrictions.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by vor78]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
When the Democrats lost the Congress some years back, it was a direct result of their anti-gun legislation.

The Democrats will continue to push the envelope relative to gun laws, but never forget that if they cross the line again, they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will be voted out.

They are treading lightly and today's decision does not help their cause.

The best way to guard our 2nd Amendment rights at this juncture is to make sure that a Democrat, especially a radical left-wing Democrat does not occupy the White House.

[edit on 2008/6/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Better yet one should look at Obama's FISA vote. The man is a well-speaking puppet which unfortunately comes as a relief after the current puppet-in-chief who can barely speak English.

Both Obama and McCain are dangerous for the USA (and for Canada and the world...). How I wish I could convince people in the USA to vote for anyone but a Democrat or a a Republican (with my usual exception for Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich).

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

If you'll notice, since Howard Dean (a pro-RKBA Democrat) took over the party chairmanship, the Democrats have largely dropped gun control from their party platform.

They certainly need to, it's political poison...

Fortunately the Supreme Court has effectively put the brakes on aggressive gun control laws anyway, so frankly it's likely to become a non-issue.

The era of increasing restrictions on gun ownership are over.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

I hope you're right, but I'm listening to Obama right now and he's talking about "common sense gun laws," which to a Democrat means incremental strides toward outright bans, and speaking of the Second Amendment as a "tradition."

I do believe that the Democrats will be less blatant in their anti-gun activities, but we should not become so complacent as to believe that our rights are safe in the hands of a Democrat Congress and a Democrat White House.

Nothing is that air-tight, not even Supreme Court rulings.

[edit on 2008/6/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

While today was a major victory, I wish I shared your optimism for the future. The Supreme Court left plenty of wiggle-room with regards to 'reasonable' restrictions and you can bet a bunch of Dem lawyers are pouring over it right now in preparation for their next assault on our 2nd amendment rights.

The next attacks will likely focus on two areas: restricting ammo and civil lawsuits against gun owners exercising self-defense rights.

top topics

join