It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush eases sanctions on North Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Wow! 1st Libya now North Korea. Great leadership from President Bush! No summits, no appeasement, no negotiations! Just do it or face the consequences! North Korea, just like Libya has all of a sudden decided to become good neighbors. Iran, I hope your watching.

apnews.myway.com...

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush said Thursday he will lift key trade sanctions against North Korea and remove it from the U.S. terrorism blacklist, a remarkable turnaround in policy toward the communist regime he once branded as part of an "axis of evil."

The announcement came after North Korea handed over a long-awaited accounting of its nuclear work to Chinese officials on Thursday, fulfilling a key step in the denuclearization process.

Bush said the United States would monitor North Korea closely and "if they don't fulfill their promises, more restrictions will be placed on them."

Bush said that to end its isolation, North Korea must, for instance, dismantle all of its nuclear facilities and resolve outstanding questions on its highly enriched uranium and proliferation activities "and end these activities in a way that we can fully verify."

I just hope Bush has time to deal with Iran, and leaves it to McCain to finish the job, because we know what Barack Hussein Obama won't.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Hey, Bush did something right!

Thanks Bush!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I actually agree

For once, this is good leadership.

I noticed that the news stopped reporting about Korea.

I take it this way: Once the news stops reporting, they all of the sudden love us a big huggy bunch.

In actuality, it goes to show what glory NAU will bring. Once we have Canadian and Mexican oil, we can sell it, get money, and bankrupt the middle east by forcing the monopoly to die.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think this statement from the article is important.

Bush called the declaration a positive step along a long road to get the nation to give up its nuclear weapons. Yet, he remained wary of the regime, which has lied about its nuclear work before. And North Korea's declaration, received six months late, falls short of what the administration once sought, leaving it open to criticism from those who want the U.S. to take an even tougher stance against the regime.

"We will trust you only to the extent you fulfill your promises," Bush said in the Rose Garden. "I'm pleased with the progress. I'm under no illusions. This is the first step. This isn't the end of the process. It is the beginning of the process."

apnews.myway.com...

While North Korea is not to be trusted, it does not hurt to offer some positive reinforcement for their efforts toward disclosure.

It should also be remembered that UN sanctions are not affected by this decision and that there are many other sanctions in place.

On the whole, North Korea doesn't really deserve any slack at all, but I guess for the time being we have to pick our battles.

Just remember that whatever progress NK has made in terms of nuclear weapons, they have made with materials given to them by Clinton.

top topics

join