It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astros suspend pitcher Shawn Chacon indefinitely

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Astros suspend pitcher Shawn Chacon indefinitely

sports.yahoo.com

Astros pitcher Shawn Chacon was suspended indefinitely by the team Wednesday for insubordination after reportedly grabbing general manager Ed Wade by the neck and throwing him to the ground.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Do you think that he deserved more punishment than being suspended indefinately?

sports.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
That's crazy.

I don't think he deserves more than that. Just suspend him for a while and let him be.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
As a 'Stros fan, I think Chacon should have been kept in the rotation. He pitched excellent for the first month and a half but his offense wasn't doing squat for him. Now he's been going through what most pitchers go through every year, a slump.

That being said, Chacon's way was not the way to go about it.
Unfortunately it probably cost him the rest of his career. It's really unfortunate.

Peace

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
He played for the Yankees a couple years ago.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
You should never grab your boss and throw him to the ground. But if what Chacon said is true, then Ed Wade was way out of line. The GM of a professional sports team should not be acting like a teenage punk and cursing out players in front of the whole team.

From the story it seems Wade went overboard, and Chacon just put him in his place. But still, you shouldn't beat up your boss.

‘You can tell me whatever you got to tell me right here.’ He’s like, ‘Oh, you want me to tell you right here?’ And I said, ‘Yeah.’ I’m not yelling. I’m calm.”

Chacon said things went downhill from there.

“He started yelling and cussing,” Chacon said of Wade, according to a story on the Chronicle’s Web site. “I’m sitting there and I said to him very calmly, ‘Ed, you need to stop yelling at me. Then I stood up and said, ‘You better stop yelling at me.’ I stood up. He continued and was basically yelling.”
ADVERTISEMENT

Chacon said that after Wade told him he needed to “look in the mirror,” it got worse.

“So at that point I lost my cool and I grabbed him by the neck and threw him to the ground. I jumped on top of him,” he said. “Words were exchanged.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this is true, I think Chacon should be suspended, and Wade should fired.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by testrat]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
You can't be throwing your boss to the ground by the throat. Sure, we all wish we could, but still...

Chacon is done...obviously with the Astros, but I think for the rest of the year, as well. If he's lucky, somebody might give him a shot for a playoff run. Otherwise, I think he's out, at the very least, for the rest of the year and possibly for good...in the Majors anyway.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Last I checked the manager is allowed to yell at their players. It happens all the time. Especially when said player is playing poorly. If this would have happened in the real world, I think he would be facing assault charges.

As it is, I think the punishment is appropriate and I expect to see him back when he and the manager make peace.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
What would happen if you or I would grab our boss by the neck and throw him to the ground?

We'd be fired.

I don't care if Wade was cussing. Chacon should have walked away and returned with his agent, union rep, and lawyer.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If the Astros had ANY respect for thier orginization, they would cut him immideatly.

I know that he probaly has been the bet SP for the astros this year... but you can't take this...

A few years back, Milton Bradley was on the DOgers, and went completly crazy in the outfeild, and threw a CHAIR into the stands.

The dodgers put him on the inactive list, and then Traded him.

IT HAS KILLED THE DODGERS, who have the weakest HR totals over the last few years in the majors... Seriously, they leading HR guy on the dodgers this season, is like 5 diffrent guys with 6 homers... Just pathtic, while Bradley is on pace for 40 homers....

I dont know... you HAVE to do something when players go crazy like this... but when you get rid of a talented player, it hurts your team...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Its no big loss for us. The pitching is awful anyway.

No matter what Ed Wade said, it didn't really warrant that reaction. Most people would choke their boss if they could, but the fact is, you just can't do that if you hope to keep your job.

I hope Chacon saved up some of his money. I doubt he will ever sign with a pro team again. I can't see other GM's lining up to bring on board someone who choked his GM.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

If he doesnt get picked up by some team that is contending for the playoffs I be surprised, it could open the doors for a collusion investigaton. What really bothers me is the double standard, Manny Ramirez shove an curse at an old guy that is the traveling secretary for the Sox and he dont even had to apologize.

If Chacon was 12-3,123k and a 1.54 ERA he would still be wearing an Astros uniform right now and the GM would have been gone.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Manny Ramirez shove an curse at an old guy that is the traveling secretary for the Sox

That "old guy" was a former police officer, he wasn't a sack of potatoes.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by testrat

Thats not the point, the point is that if you perform you are treated differently when that should not be the case.

top topics

join