It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC: Biofuel use 'increasing poverty'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   

BBC: Biofuel use 'increasing poverty'

news.bbc.co.uk

The replacement of traditional fuels with biofuels has dragged more than 30 million people worldwide into poverty, an aid agency report says.

Rich countries... are making climate change worse, not better, they are stealing crops and land away from food production, and they are destroying millions of livelihoods in the process."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Thank god someone reported this. These have been my thoughts all along on the stance of biofuels.

IMO, the solution to the gas crisis is not to produce fuel from food such as corn because then in essence you are feeding your livestock and animals fuel to sustain them. This does not solve anything, and instead, merely makes the foods more expensive.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
The whole climate change argument is only to make money from something that is a natural process anyway.

I'm wondering when this cycle of BS will end, and things will get back to some form of sanity.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Please remember that not ALL biofuel is bad biofuel. See the link in my sig for a clip about a very interesting new algae biofuel process which is many times more efficient than using crops as a source.

Algae based biofuel deprives no one of food and will not affect food prices (except to possible bring down the price of corn and sugar). It is the fastest growing 'plant' on the planet. It's byproduct can be used as feed for livestock and as fertilizer for crops. It can be grown in the desert as well. There are a bunch of companies starting up the process as we speak. Oh, did I mention that it absorbs great quantities of C02 during it's growth stage?

Very promising stuff. I really hope the bad name crop based biofuel is getting does not tarnish the algae process. They really are not comparable.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

Hatter
Yes I read that article also. What the article in question does not talk about is how the increase price of fuel is also pushing people into poverty. That thirty million people the article is quoting as being dragged into poverty is probably equally because of the rise in energy prices. For a comparison compare the price of food world wide when the price of oil was low, then compare it to now. It is not souly using food crops for fuel that is doing this.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Thanks for that link SystemiK. One can always count on you for some nice counterpoints.

Golem,

I read your post after I posted this one. I think you have a good point too.

[edit on 6/26/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Corn based ethanol is a scam, that's pretty obvious, but biofuel could be viable if it were using other plants, such as hemp. And the biproduct would be organic animal feed. There is a right way to do biofuels, but of course the crooks at the top never want the right way, they just want the centralized way, the way that brings in more cash and leaves less of a chance for competition to edge in on their monopolies.

And of course there is more efficient ways to produce energy, such as solar and hydrogen economies. Even water burns. One ATS member suggested using seawater as fuel for hydrogen electrolosis while at the same time filtering it for minerals... There are plenty of enviromentally friendly ways to get energy, the problem "is the economy (of theft) stupid".

top topics

join