It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush administration to lift North Korea sanctions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Bush administration to lift North Korea sanctions

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration on Thursday will lift some trade sanctions against North Korea and move to take it off the U.S. terrorism blacklist — a remarkable turnaround in policy toward the communist regime, which President Bush once branded as part of an "axis of evil."

North Korea handed over a long-awaited accounting of its nuclear work to Chinese officials on Thursday, fulfilling a key step in the denuclearization process.

In exchange, the U.S. is fulfilling its promise to erase trade sanctions under the Trading With the Enemy Act, and notify Congress that, in 45 days, it intends to take North Korea off the State Department list of nations that sponsor terrorism, White House press secretary Dana Perino said...

...Bush plans to make a statement on North Korea in the Rose Garden at 7:40 a.m. EDT Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
If bush minor actually believes this is anything more than another shell game he is more naive than I thought.

So what is the big difference between Iran and North Korea?

Three words and they have nothing to do with their nuclear program:

The hostage crisis.

The hard right has had a war-on for Iran even since then and are damned and determined to consumate it before junior leaves office.

That is all and what it is all about. Make no mistake North Korea is far more dangerous than Iran ever will be.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
It annoys me that the so called 'civilised' west can dictate to other countries to disarm they're nuclear programs whilst not doing the same . The US has the hypocrisy to say " you can't have the weapons, but we can" .
To protect the American people my a#se, more like to control the rest of the world.
America the world police? try saying America the world bully instead , its much more factual .
When will the American people (the majority of) wake up an realise they're part of a world called Planet Earth, Its not called Planet America is it?
And Yes I have American friends who I'm very fond of ( one even worked for NASA) and they're not dumb enough believe they're the only ones that matter before you start to flame me as being anti-american .
Far from it .

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I can't say I disagree. We have always had a bad habit of dictating to the rest of the world what we want.

I attribute it to the fact that most countries exist because they exist and we were created and have high ideals that we believe is our gift to the world. The sad thing is our rhetoric and actions have rarely been in line with each other. That's in part why our government (but not our people since the rest of the world aren't the idiots we think and understand there is a difference) is so hated worldwide.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

I understand your views towards the greatest nation on the planet. You have a skewed view. If any other bully nation that has nuclear weapons that could police the world, do you think there would be freedom of speech much as the peace loving people of North Korea have? How about the embracement of all religions instead of only one religion and you just kill the infidels? Could you even let your views be known on this internet thing, or would it be tightly controlled for official use only?

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about letting only the USA have nuclear weapons. We used them to end a world war so we do have a past. Other world and strong regional powers have them and they will not give up their weapons. I just feel a little safer knowing the USA has the means to offset these other, kinder and nicer, nations.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I for one feel more comfortable with the US having nukes (and the West in general) rather than countries like Pakistan, North Korea and India. If something happens there (coup, revolution, insurgency) how can we be sure their nukes are secure? Maybe it's misguided, but I feel more secure with Western nukes than all those countries that can be plunged into turmoil at any time.

On a side note, with this happening, I wonder why continue the embargo against Cuba.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This is not a shell game but a move in the right direction to disarm North Korea. You see, if the US stops sanctions, in 10 years there will be Wal Mart and Starbucks. Then the CHinese can 'merge' with North Korea.

I mean, do we want a nuclear North Korea?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
North Korea will never merge, their cultures are both ancient and deeply rooted and very different... it won't happen.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

Yep, The USA isn't perfect and we did use the atomic bomb on Japan (to save millions of lives to a invasion of the Japanese mainland ) and as you state the USA is basically an open society -where all can worship and search for their own religions and types of jobs that they feel compelled to do.

The USA will not cut your arm off for stealing Nor in the USA will they permit you to kill your daughter because she likes someone "the family doesn't (honor killings are not allowed)

The USA sends more "aid money" around the world than any other nation. The folks in the USA like in the UK love "dogs and cats" and have strict animal rights.

We have so much diversity and checks and balances which give all that live here "a say in almost anything you can imagine" with-out worrying about being killed or put in a soccer stadium and shot in the head...

You can just about dress the way you want in the USA and not (like in Iran or muslim countries) worry about the dress police beating you to a pulp or arresting you.

People from all over the world come to the USA to take advantage of the USA education and freedoms. The USA even allows the ACLU to exist! (which defends pedophiles and ass-clowns from every walk off life)

the USA is not perfect, but on the small blue ball circling the sun ...its one of the best places to live and carry-on.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
They wouldn't agree to merge but once the nuclear option is off the table who knows. I am not saying tomorrow either but in the next 20-30 years.

The citizens of NK deserve to have a view outside of Kim Kong and his regime and hopefully this will help. Either that, or we jsut found some oil reserves in NK no one knew about...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Thank you. You stated it much better than I did. Even gave you a star.

This sentence added for the one sentence rule....

top topics

join