It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Comeback Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   

The lopsided shape of Mars may well be a result of a cataclysmic impact of a Pluto-size meteor billions of years ago, three teams of scientists are reporting. That would suggest that the lowlands of Mars’s northern hemisphere are a single gigantic impact crater, the largest crater in the solar system.

Taken from:

www.nytimes.com...

So on the note that a huge asteroid could have ripped through Mars' atmosphere and created an enormous crater in its northern hemisphere, this implication leans towards the theories put forth by many researchers long ago.

Now, if earth had endured a similar cataclysm in its history, as there is sufficient evidence of global flooding and what-not to at least entertain the theory... as the earth has done, is it possible for Mars to make a comeback also?

Is it possible for an atmosphere to regenerate? If a huge hole appeared in the atmosphere, could it heal itself in time? If so, could Mars have the ability to repair its atmosphere over a long period of time, warm up, and allow lifeforms to exist once again?

I am researching atmosphere right now, but any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by astronomine]

[edit on 26-6-2008 by astronomine]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
It annoys me when the word "meteor" is used to describe large objects like asteroids or something the size of Pluto !!! A meteor is that streak of light that you see when a speck of dust burns up in Earth's upper atmosphere. It is not supposed to be used for large objects that smash into planetary surfaces.

That's why "Meteor Crater" is such a stupid name for the famous impact site in Arizona.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by Mogget]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Well, Mars better hurry up.

This alledgedly happened 4 billion years ago both on Mars and here on Earth, but as you pointed out, the earth HAS recovered...if it hasn't happened on Mars yet, then it probably won't.

[edit on 6/26/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
It just doesn't seem to be that Mars has enough residual water locked away in the ground to make a complete comeback. It would probably require the diversion of fleets of comet material by robots.

And then isn't there the notion that Mars is not gravitationally massive enough to sustain an Earth-like atmosphere anyway, because some of the particles are going to be energetic enough through Brownian motion to reach escape velocity, so there will always be a constant atmospheric drain? Or has than been debunked?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I think that when you can view things from a space perspective of time, planets indeed have the ability to regenerate and come back. On earth, it will happen when the floods rise again and the earth is changed completely.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
And with the recent discover of water on the Moon, it is highly interesting to see what lies beneath its crust. Mars is much better off than the Moon so I would not find it surprising if it did make a comeback.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Imagine if there were the most beautiful caves under the barren surface where all the Martians went to escape the conditions above. Complete with waterfalls and rivers and enormous crystal caves all interlinked and thriving... we just don't know!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
it is amazing that we got some samples from mars, but it's pretty close to our planet. I was hoping that we would be a bit farther along in the solar system by now. weren't there supposed to be flying cars by now?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It certainly seems that there was a catastrophic event on Mars but I suspect that the putative age is more generated from theoretical doctrine rather than definitive evidence. Of course there may be evidence that I am unaware of and if any other member is aware of such evidence I would be grateful if they could point it out to me.

If we look at the legends and myths that have been handed down to us, and while I am attempting to do so myself more accomplished investigators like Immanuel Velikovsky , who have done a comprehensive study of these stories. I do agree that these myths have their genesis in events that impressed the people of the past to such a degree that they became part of their lore and legends, often anthropomorphized or allegorized, but none the less based on some historical event.

A possible interpretation of many of the celestial myths and ancient obsession with the planets may be that our ancestors were witness to the Mars impact event, which would mean a date of thousands or tens of thousands of years ago rather than billions of years ago. Once we allow for this sort of possibility, the whole question of whether there has ever been highly evolved life on Mars become much more interesting.

One final observation. In many of the Mars pictures taken both from orbit and on the ground, there appears to be scattered over the surface of the planet a number of things that could be artificial in origin. If there had been a technological civilization on Mars at the time of the impact event, it seems reasonable to assume that most of their constructions would either have be pulverized, vaporized or mulched and scattered about.

I love a good mystery!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by oresta
it is amazing that we got some samples from mars, but it's pretty close to our planet. I was hoping that we would be a bit farther along in the solar system by now. weren't there supposed to be flying cars by now?

I agree oresta. I am totally disapointed with the lack of exploring done in our Solar System.
The very least we could do is send probes all over the place. I mean what have we really done in space over the last thirty years?
As far as I am concerned we should have had manned bases on the moon and mars by now, but NO everyone just wants to fight over oil down here instead.

If more effort had been put into the space programs this Solar System could truly be ours!

Cheers

Tiste

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by metamagic

I agree with you on this one. The mystery is so fascinating that I would wish more people stopped to think... why do we take all stories of the past as myth? Why do we see historical accounts (which we know to be extremely biased and manipulated) as fact, yet the teachings of our ancient ancestors as fallicy?

If we are able to understand that there are incredible, life-affirming mysteries abound that warrant our attention, why are we not doing all we can to uncover this mystery?

It is quite possible that the impact covering and scattering and destroying places of civilization on Mars are evident in the pictures that are getting sent back. Yes, they could be natural formations and this and that, but what if they're not? That is the question until proven otherwise.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiste Andii

If there is the possibility that there is something out there that can teach us about our origins... places that may be home to materials that we could utilize to better mankind... knowledge and beings that we could meet... what the heck are we doing down here on earth squabbling and wasting precious time?

It is like being in a war with countless enemies, yet you are fighting with your brother.

As I get older, the more anxious I get that we will not even get out of our solar system... or even to Mars (manned).

join