It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 5 Bizarre Genetically Modified Organisms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   

5- Fern Spider

The fern spider is unique on this list as it is the only combined plant and animal. At the time of writing this is the only animal that has successfully been crossed with a plant. The spider is a cross between a common Italian Wolf spider (Lycosa tarantula) and the ponga fern (Cyathea dealbata). The purpose of this bizarre crossbreed was to study the survival rates of spiders with built in camouflage versus those without in a series of studies on Natural Selection at Massey University in New Zealand. The results of the study have not been published yet.
www.propeller.com... izarre-genetically-modified-organisms%2F&frame=true

This is increddible, have a look at this fern-spider!
Plant and animal genes mixed.

Is there any more photos or video of this spider that anyone knows of ?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Are we in April already?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Back in the early 80s I lived near the Deborah Heart and Lung hospital in New Jersey. Someone there was reputed to be doing gene splicing there and releasing into the wild. On the local lake I saw a white goose with the green head of a Mallard. I doubt that they can cross breed in nature.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
What the... that fern spider is amazing. What are those scientists up to beneath the ground? If these crazy manipulations are publicly known, one can only wonder what else they have achieved. You know the experiments would go as far as they could with no grounds as to what is right/wrong.

We always hear about people talking about aliens and reverse-engineering and other stories from the dark... how come we never hear leaked information about the genetic experiments that are going on today? Can you even imagine what they have done just looking at the fern spider and cloning and all that?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
One word. Photoshop.

The most powerful GM tool on the planet...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Thanks for slapping me on the back of my head and waking me up.

It seems some one created this bizarre news that i seemed to need today.

I am over it now, thanks you.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
No worries dude, it was a good laugh. I wouldn't be surprised to see similar things for real in a few years time. Mmmmm, GM food....

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Actually it's not totally fake. The "Zebrafish" (Danio rerio), naturally a silvery fish with blue stripes, has been genetically modified with genes from various cnidarian animals, especially jellyfish. This gives them bright colours and the ability to phosphoresce under near ultraviolet light. They can often be found in US fish stores, but are rare in Canada and illegal in the UK. I have only seen the red ones in person.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
i find it hard to believe that fern spider being tru since plant and animal cells have a different cell structure so meiosis or mitosis (cell reproduction) couldn't realy exist in the same life form.. from what i know could be wrong

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
haha great list. I didnt catch on untill I saw the Graisin.

The graisin [giant raisin] is a variety of raisin which has been modified to grow to enormous proportions.

No mention of giant grapes huh? hmmmm

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Yeah, like i said.

I wanted to find some mad news and some one just created it for me and others to find.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
wow. amazing!
very interesting on the fern spider. wondering if its a dual life form where as the fern part gets its fuel from light / photosynthesis, and the spider operates on proteins.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I present to you,

The five assed monkey!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jibbs
Are we in April already?

Originally posted by gekko
One word. Photoshop.

The most powerful GM tool on the planet...

I think the above posters need to do some research into Genetic Modification.
I have personally seen the Glofish and Graison in person. And no I didn't try the Graison, I think I'll let others test that out first.

[edit on 4-7-2008 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sardion2000

Are you serious????

Look at the spider mixed with ferns for gods sake.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gekko
reply to post by sardion2000

Are you serious????

Look at the spider mixed with ferns for gods sake.

The Lemurat and Fern Spider are actually part of an april fools joke actually(I found the source), but I know for sure the Graison and Glofish exist.

listverse.com...

[edit on 8-7-2008 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I have taken some advanced genetics at the University of Texas.

The only way to create a "chimera" is if both species had the same number of chromosomes. Chromosomes must pair up. You can't cross a fruit fly with 8 chromosomes with a kangaroo that has 12. 4 chromosomes would have nothing to pair too.

It is very possible to create a chimera of a European Pole Cat with a Hyena, since they both have 40 pair of chromosomes.

I hate to tell you all this, but most fruit you buy at the store is so genetically modified. These huge apples have been sprayed with an enzyme that keeps the cell walls from pinching off and making two cells. Instead, you have 1 giant cell with two nucli producing bigger plumber fruit.

Seedless fruit is also so genetically modified with grossly mismatched chromosomes. Nature protects itself from even propogating it in the future by making it baren. Seedless (originally seed baring fruit) would be equivalent to Down Syndrome.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlyCM
Actually it's not totally fake. The "Zebrafish" (Danio rerio), naturally a silvery fish with blue stripes, has been genetically modified with genes from various cnidarian animals, especially jellyfish. This gives them bright colours and the ability to phosphoresce under near ultraviolet light. They can often be found in US fish stores, but are rare in Canada and illegal in the UK. I have only seen the red ones in person.

I have three yellow ones, use to have a red one but it died.

new topics

top topics

join