It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UFO-Alien Applied Linguistics Registry

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

It is my belief, that we may be missing out on valuable details and information released by foreign media outlets. I became aware of the need for "ATS translators" after reading this thead, and more specifically, this article. Some UFO cases are difficult to follow when much of the literature is in another language. The list would serve as a point of reference for when translation support is sought. All members with foreign language abilities are encouraged to register. Priority would be to Russian, Chinese and Japanese because in those languages there are more cases.

If the ATS admin jump in, I would even suggest an "ATS Linguist" badge to really encourage participation and quality.

Anyways, if you would like to put your name on the list, maybe we can put this internet thing to (continued) good use! Please list the language(s) you can translate and how you became proficient in it/them.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
You can use the Babblefish website to translate websites automatically!
And it is free.

This is a great resource which will translate fairly well automatically, so you can explore on your own.

I hope this tool, brings you much enjoyment. Good Luck!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
You can go to translate.google.com... to translate websites. I don't know about pdf files though. It would be great if someone could transcribe some videos for deaf people

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Yes the pdf's are the problem.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

reply to post by Deaf Alien

We are aware of automatic translators, thank you though:
this is not what this thread is about.
What we need is an ACTUAL knowledge of a language, a list of members who speak a language, and available to make actual translations when needed;
if we need to know something about some news, then we CANNOT base a serious research to an automatic translator.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Yeah I understand. I actually thought of this before. I think it is a very good idea.

What I would like to see is someone who is willing to transcribe or subtitle some ufo videos. I am an avid ufo/alien researcher.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
This is a draft what could appear the list

Italian:
Internos Send U2U

Norwegian
ziggystar60 Send U2U

Portuguese:
ArMaP Send U2U

Romanian:
Trans Send U2U

Spanish:
Camilo1 Send U2U
Angelc01 Send U2U

Of course, this is just a little start, but it should make the the point:
we are missing a lot of cases coming from all around the world just because they are published by local newspapers in local language, or simply we can't access the details because of the language barrier:
it's just an experiment, perhaps it will work, perhaps it won't: but at least, we try

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I can do Russian -> English translations (Though im no literature expert, so they wont be pro translations or anything) but yeah, ive done russian -> english translation for ATS once before, and I probably could translate articles or something like that if needed.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Arthx

Arthx, russian is one of the most important languages we would be interested to: thank you, and welcome onboard

Here's a recaps then:

Italian:
Internos Send U2U

Norwegian
ziggystar60 Send U2U

Portuguese:
ArMaP Send U2U

Romanian:
Trans Send U2U

Russian:
Arthx Send U2U

Spanish:
Camilo1 Send U2U
Angelc01 Send U2U

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
This is an excellent idea.
Web translators are excellent, but no substitute for a native translation.
And of course, there is the .pdf issue.
Note however, you could use the select tool in a .pdf, copy/paste the text into a translator, though would be slow going if your translator only handled so many characters at a time.

I'd much prefer the fluent translation, and besides, they'll know what to look for, and in their own language, to even know WHAT to translate in the first place.

Great idea!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I would just like to add that I can also translate from SWEDISH and DANISH if required. I am happy to help if anyone needs it.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Web translators are excellent, but no substitute for a native translation

So true Gazrok.

Although, I wouldn't trust my own language abilities I have access to individuals who could translate Spanish, German, and Japanese.

PS- thanks Ziggy & Arthx

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It would be cool if we could also find a translator for Native American etc. too.

I don't speak any languages other than English and a few of the nasty words in French but my wife used to work for the translation bureau of Canada and has done translations for "DR.'s Without Borders". She can speak Spanish, French and German and possibly one other. I could always ask her to translate something for us if the others mentioned here get bogged down. Kind of like a back up for the original translators list.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
ATS Translators:

Italian:
Internos

Norwegian:
ziggystar60

Portuguese:
ArMaP

Romanian:
Trans

Russian:
Arthx

Spanish:
Camilo1
Angelc01

German:
???

Back up-
Scramjet76
QBSneak000

French:
???

Back up-
QBSneak000

Japanese:
???

Back up-
Scramjet76

Wanted:

Chinese:
???

Hindi:
???

Persian:
???

Ideally it would be nice to have at least one member and one back up for every flag you see above.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I can translate Polish if needed

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Lecter

Excellent. Thank you much.

There have been many interesting cases in Poland over the years.. for instance..

The witness from Czestochowa, a photo amateur and sky-watcher presented photos of two round whitish objects taken on 14th of August over Belchatow Power Plant in Lodzkie Wojewodztwo (Central Poland).
The witness was able to observe two round unidentified objects that were constantly disappearing and reappearing over the area for about 3 minutes.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lecter

Welcome onboard, Lecter, God bless your people

Here's the updated list:

Danish:
ziggystar60 Send U2U

Indian:
MikeSingh Send U2U

Italian:
Internos Send U2U

Norwegian
ziggystar60 Send U2U

Polish:
Lecter Send U2U

Portuguese:
ArMaP Send U2U

Romanian:
Trans Send U2U

Spanish:
Camilo1 Send U2U
Angelc01 Send U2U

Swedish:
ziggystar60 Send U2U

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Hi.

I could do German and Dutch to English Translations both
are my mother tongue.
So put me on your list if you will.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO

Excellent DOMiNATOR, many thanks.

Ok internos you're using the black background on those catchy flag gifs aren't you?? It looks better I admit..

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I can only offer to translate Brummie back to regular English, not much of an offer I'm afraid.

What I really want to post is what a great thread and idea, it truly shows how International ATS is and the more important fact is that we always have members willing to help regardless of nationality or religious beliefs.

Pity our own governments don't work the same way.

Wolfie

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join