It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The great human migration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Why humans left their African homeland 80,000 years ago to colonize the world

The migration - theories

This great migration brought our species to a position of world dominance that it has never relinquished and signaled the extinction of whatever competitors remained—Neanderthals in Europe and Asia, some scattered pockets of Homo erectus in the Far East and, if scholars ultimately decide they are in fact a separate species, some diminutive people from the Indonesian island of Flores (see "Were 'Hobbits' Human?"). When the migration was complete, Homo sapiens was the last—and only—man standing.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
There is a presumption that this was the only time this had happened. We cannot rule out the possibility that humans migrated out of Africa 80k years ago to reconquer the world. I seem to recall an article in a mainstream magazine, I think it might have been "New Scientist" which identified a point n our prehistory when we almost went extinct as a species. I recall, perhaps inaccurately, that our numbers were about 15,000 before we started gaining enough members to be ensured of species survival. This I recall had to do with the eruption of the Toba supervolano in Indonesia,

I seem to recall this genetic bottleneck occurring, based o genetic studies, around 70k years ago. Obviously the dates of 80k and 70k years ago have to be taken with a grain of salt since we can only approximate. I do remember that there is also a suggestion that our numbers dipped to about 2 thousand for about 1000k years until about 40k years ago.

I wonder how many times we have gone out and repopulated the world from a species near extinction, and more importantly, are we going to have to do it again soon?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Howdy Metamagic

There are a number of theories. Yep there is a theory of multiple waves of humans-I think it was more a movement olike molasses. No one was aware they were moving. They just headed in different direction a few miles away every few years and drifted along.

Yeah there seems to have been a bottle neck and that is probably where the mutation for greater intelligence/social cooperation came to the fore.

Fantastic stuff.

new topics

join