It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving the chaos

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Blitzkreigen

And like i said earlier in this thread, it doesn't matter when. My point only was that there is benefits to groups. Just keep them small and mobile. It's just better to form them beforehand so you know you can trust the people, and get the skillsets you will need.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Where did everyone go

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I lost interest in this thread when it turned into how to hide from an invading force. Seriously, if a battalion stormed any of us, no matter if its a rouge survivor, or a group of 20, its over. I try to prepare for what I can control. A nuke going off over my head isnt something I can plan for. The grid going down or civil war I can plan for. If this is going to get back to people sharing ideas on how to plan, prepare and train for Sit X, then by all means, Im in as well.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by salchanra

Well i was trying to convince some people that we are not going to get invaded. It's going to be small groups and gangs we'll have to deal with.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I agree completely, those who didnt prepare or put it off will be the ones shooting at us, and stealing from us. I would suspect current well organized and armed street gangs and bike clubs will pose the largest threat. Again, as with my posts on other threads, this is why I live where I live. Not much gang activity, alot of wannabes, but no real organization. The only bike clubs are hells angels and the vietnam vets. Many of them I know personally, so I consider them allies.

But regardless of what type of group I run into, if any, I am fully prepared to defend what I have aquired to date, and what I will be able to do ensuing a disaster. I hope more on the survival threads are as well. A future with people who can think and plan is much better than one with violent rogue gangs enslaving any less fortunate.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

That is why i live where i do. No gangs, small population of mostly hunters who will band together when need be. I was prepared many years ago, the only thing i do anymore is swap out outdated stuff and stockpile more ammo. And try to get more people of like mind to come to my area.
It's a very defensable area that can supply a lot more people than already live here with wild game and plants for food.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Thats gotta be a big task trying to get people to move to Idaho. Just kidding. Too bad youre not in AK, could use more people like you up here. Ive learned trying to get people to relocate is difficult, moved on to trying to educate people who are trying to be more subsistance. For instance I learned the woman who owns a local greenhouse has had a tough time canning and drying foods, so I volunteered to help her out, hopefully she continues to try and make it on her own now, because she would be a great asset should society collapse.

Like you I am fully stocked on everything I can think of, I work alot on self education, getting more into farming and livestock, taking classes this fall on gunsmithing and another one on brain tanning hides. Even with a mountain of supplies, knowledge is what will keep us alive through the chaos.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The problem with getting people to relocate is they say they want to be mobile and be prepared, but they are caught up in the stabilities of their lives. Trying to break people of a routine brought on by the needs of society is like trying to get a cat to go deep sea diving

I don't need to learn farming or gunsmithing either. I grew up on a farm, and took a gunsmithing course 11 years ago. I grew up hunting so it didn't really teach me much, my dad made sure i knew my weapons inside and out.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
And my dad made sure my brother and i could survive off the land with just a knife.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I know my weapons, think I owned my first .22 at age 7. Still cant hurt to fill in any voids I dont know. Grew up in a small town, family was never into raising animals and my mother seemed to only be adept at growing weeds. Gardening and storage came easy when I finally got into it, animals are new to me, but getting the hang of it.

Agreed that the majority of people wont switch their socitial routines until something does happen, by then its too late however.

Surviving with only a knife isnt all that hard, maybe I'm getting soft but I like my firestarter as well.
That could be said of most posters here. I dont doubt that a good many people on here could survive with nothing but a knife, would even be thankful they have a knife instead of whining about what they dont have.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Most weapons are relatively easy to disassemble and reassemble, it's the higher end semi's that can be a pain. I have always had a knack for it though, love working on guns. Something else that is a pain are lever actions, my dad made me take down his Winchester 94 .32 win special and clean every single part when i was 11. That was a load of joy
My first weapon was a Marlin model 60 .22.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Any SITX will have phases.
Short term initial hide and survive period. 1 to 90 days
Then a long term recovery period.

The short term hide and survive period will be the hardest for most. except those that planed.

The long term recovery period can make or break a group without planing.

In a SITX with a 50+% death rate a good "observe, sweep, and salvage" plan will go a long way to surviving during the long term recovery period.

A small group working at night and observing during the day and sweeping a large area looking for any buildings abandoned by there owner, the dead, ETC.

Or a larger group with observation teams moving through a area followed by a sweep and salvage teams going through all building and sweeping them for salvage. food, medical supplies, equipment, solar panels, weapons, ammo, trade items, wire for running a area phone system. ect

Just look a your home and neighborhood if everyone there died how much salvage would be there for a will trained search team to find.
The salvage is ether hauled away or removed and hid till it can be recovered.

Where are your local national guard armories, military bases, police stations, gun stores, medical offices. all would be prime places for salvage, of everything from weapons, ammo, drugs, MREs to armoured vehicles,
You will need heavy cutting equipment. local fire-station?
Have you ever tried to open a safe or a military ammo bunker?.
A lot of gun nuts have gun safes.
If other groups have been through the area and you are the first with the know-how you will get the goodies.
Don't try to use a cutting torch to open a ordnance storage bunker, People who try tend not to live long or prosper,

Think out of the box.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I've already planned for each phase of the situation.
Just waiting for people to make up their minds about my offers of refuge.
And for sitx to happen.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
How much educating are you willing to provide for those who know some but not everything? People in any survival group need to be cross-trained. Wouldn't want your only gun expert to loose a hand or the only person proficient at plant identification to develop problems with their eyesight.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

In my opinion to have a truly proficient party, everyone should learn all skills neccesary for survival. That way you don't get screwed if something happens. And to answer your question, i would be willing to teach all that i know.

[edit on 20-9-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blitzkreigen

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

Yes but with no serious military backing they aren't going to be able to do anything.

IF... and thats a 'BIG' IF........ Foreign troops Actually GET HERE, I think they will have " Military Backing" to say the least.

Well if Obomber has his way we'll have U.N. troops here soon enough.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I think a small survival community is much more realistic than trying to go at it alone. You don't necessarily need to have a whole town of like-minded people who also are preparing for all eventualities, you just need to be in a community where you know your neighbors and know you can count on them in a pinch.

Also - I'm all for preparing for bad times, and keeping the fact that I have lots of stored food, water and survival supplies in my house quiet, but you guys worried about fema camps and the government ilfiltrating your community to sabotage survival groups are really bonkers.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I am thinking about forming a group in my area but i dont think it would work because all people think about here is getting drunk and and watching Eastenders!
I must be the only person awake in South Wales

I went to a party at my sisters house on saturday with around 30 guests and after speaking with nearly all of them i was shocked to find out that not 1 of them knew or heard of th G20 or the protests in London!

I must be on a different planet so if anyone is setting up a group in the uk and needs a trained soldier( 29 Commando Rgt) Please let me know.....

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by koytetsu

Also - I'm all for preparing for bad times, and keeping the fact that I have lots of stored food, water and survival supplies in my house quiet, but you guys worried about fema camps and the government ilfiltrating your community to sabotage survival groups are really bonkers.

Hey thanks man. We really apreciate your insults.

What you should be concerned with is the government that's not going to infiltrate your group just like they didn't infiltrate the Montana Militia.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrallel
I must be on a different planet so if anyone is setting up a group in the uk and needs a trained soldier( 29 Commando Rgt) Please let me know.....

Read this thread and you can talk to them. Most are in the UK.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 15-4-2009 by Anuubis]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join