It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Price of Food: 2007 vs. 2008

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Found an interesting stat sheet comparing the food basics from last year to this in terms of pricing, courtesy of the USDA...Some interesting stats I think we should all be concerned over...

www.cattlenetwork.com...

[edit on 25-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I just want to say it can't be accepted

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Ouch, field crops are through the roof. Maybe we should all start being carnivores. Look at the meat prices; they haven't changed as much as most of the other ones. Too bad that they will probably go up eventually, since guess what we use to feed our animals.

Or maybe we can all eat tangerines. They dropped in price by two thirds.

The worst part about the food price increases is that with it being the grains and such that are rising the highest, and those being the staple food of many poorer areas, that crops rising in price is probably worse than just about any other type of food rising. Like, for instance, if meat was costing an arm and a leg, but nothing else was going up, then poorer regions probably wouldn't notice that much, and rich nations would just be eating less steak. But with it being key grain crops that are costing more, EVERYONE is affected, because it is such a basic necessity.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I agree that the price of food has gone way up. You are getting a lot less, but paying more. Look how small the cereal boxes have become, but the price is the same if not higher for the smaller boxes.

I consider myself to be a thrifty shopper. You almost have to be now a days. Even some things that are marked on sale are still ridiculously high.

Imagine how shocked I was yesterday when I was buying bird seed for my cockatiels. I usually buy a 20 lb bag at a cost of $25. The clerk told me it had gone up. I thought, it figures. I was expecting it to be $2-3 dollar increase. My jaw dropped when she told me the same bag I was paying $25 for, was now $38. Holy Crap!! That's a HUGE increase!!

Everything is going up at crazy prices.

new topics

top topics

join