It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

700,000 year old Qatar Settlement?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The news story

Danish archaeologists have discovered a prehistoric settlement in Qatar, which they believe may be over 700,000 years old, making it the oldest organised human community ever found.....

Other dating tests are necessary to confirm the estimates, but the find can only be carbon-dated with accuracy if organic material, such as bones, are found.

euuhhh ouch, shiver, who can see the gross (probably from the reporter and not the scientists) error in this report?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I guess one or two zeros too much

I cant imagine such an old civilization on this planet though it would be cool.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

That is very interesting. This would mean that while some humans were still evolving other humans already had civilization. I think the more advanced humans guided the evolution of the less advanced humans. DNA testing should be done to see if those people have any descendants alive today.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
wow this is awesome! i can't wait to hear if there are any future developments on this. the official history of mankind is chock full of holes, this may answer alot of questions.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Even if it were 70,000 years carbon dating wouldn't be used. It's only useful up to about 60,000 years.
If you try it on something older the results will be completely weird like getting stuff back as being a few thousand years old...

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
This story has been debunked.

Its just a fairy tale backed with no evidence and a lack of any type of serious investigation.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
awww bummer man. don't mean to be a pest, but where was this debunked? i just like to have it all there in black and white. thanks for the heads up though, cheers!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
on a google search, they made the same mistake on every website dealing with Qatar. So the mistake came from the original story. If it is a mistake...

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Regarding carbon dating; The breakup and movement of continents disrupt the whole earth, causing volcanic eruptions, darkening the sky & blocking sunlight, in effect fouling the atmosphere. These can change the concentration of carbon and
other elements in the atmosphere, making it very unreliable past 50,000 years.

I hope to hear more about this settlement, though I believe that the age of the ruins will be drastically revised.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Howdy all

This is a good example of how a media report of something real can be terribly distorted by a newsperson who has no scientific training, or is sloppy.

Some of you found the carbon 14 error, well done.

I suspect (I've been to Qatar and a number of the Dilmun related sites) that the term "settlement" is used in lieu of "artifacts" or if we're really lucky a "camp site", or a stone tool manufacturing site or butchery/kill site.

The Danes have been doing good work there for many decades.

Mpriebe81, don't pay any attention to IvanZana he lives in another dimension, he only visits on occasion. His dimension has strange physical laws. One of which allows IvanZana to make up stuff and actual believe it is real. LOL

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Your sources dont add up and your links gave me serious popups.

What kind of junk if this?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Howdy all

This is a good example of how a media report of something real can be terribly distorted by a newsperson who has no scientific training, or is sloppy.

Or by some disgruntled, manic depressive kid in mums basement.

HOWDY

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I agree, Hans... it's probably a campsite. However, this would match with the DNA data about one of the early migrations of homo erectus towards the east and India. As I recall, there are sites for erectus in India where it appeared that a flint-knapping "industry" was going on at about that time period.

There was a NOVA program on last night about DNA and tracking down human ancestors. They started with Y chromosomes from the Bushmen and in a rather fascinating trail, tracked them through the Middle East and to India as a stop on the way towards the rest of the world.

But, 700,000 years in age... I hope they find more than just the stone tools and fire pits.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Howdy Byrd

Yeah it will be interesting it could also be an actual HE habitation site - now that would be interesting.

Howdy IvanZana

I see we are establishing a pattern

You post nonsense and I post reality and facts and when I post facts you post nonsense - well done.

[edit on 26/6/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Howdy Byrd

Yeah it will be interesting it could also be an actual HE habitation site - now that would be interesting.

IvanZana

I see we are establishing a pattern

You post nonsense and I post reality and facts and when I post facts you post nonsense - well done.
You are saying that Byrd always posts nonsense when you post facts... in both examples. eh wut? I understand what Byrd posts most of the time. I wouldn't call it nonsense.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Howdy Benjamin

No, Byrd is great and highly knowledgable.

I was commenting on IvanZana "contribution".

I edited the post to make the separation more pronounced

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Howdy Benjamin

No, Byrd is great and highly knowledgable.

I was commenting on IvanZana "contribution".

I edited the post to make the separation more pronounced

Oh, my bad, carry on!(It looks much better now) but you called me Benjamin, which is nonsense.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by seagrass]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
You know I just like picking on you don't you? Because you have "no mood" and are "not amused"

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Sorry about that Seagrass I was doing posts to C.C. Benjamin on another tread and got the names crossed.

I'm having a bad morning - time for a hike

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

reply to post by seagrass

Sorry about that Seagrass I was doing posts to C.C. Benjamin on another tread and got the names crossed.

I'm having a bad morning - time for a hike
I could use one of those too, hope you enjoy it!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join