It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't astronomers see UFOs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
THEY DO!!!!!

www.youtube.com...

I get so sick of hearing ignorant people say that dried up/used up one liner.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Well, you've kind of spun your question...... begging the question a bit, IMO, but still, it's a legitimate question.

Why don't they? OR if they do, why is it not documented and shared with the world? I'd guess first of all, that most large telescopes rely upon governmental funding. One exception might be the two massive telescopes in the Canary Islands -- www.slooh.com. I was a subscriber for two years, until I found that my member credits which were alloted for my own private celestial investigations were not really honored. I wanted to look at a specific sector, and it didn't happen. Perhaps a miscommunication? I can't say.

But then what about private astronomers? This is where your question really kicks in for me. Some folks have the equipment to take incredible photos and video of distant nebulae and other wonders. Why don't they find and display UFOs? I can't believe that the reach of the so-called PTB could extend that far.

I believe thoroughly in the phenomenon of UFOs. I'm not convinced that they are extra-terrestrial, however. Perhaps they come from somewhen, rather than somewhere. I don't know. It's part of why I'm here at ATS. Just don't tell me the Pope, the Queen, the President is a shape-shifting reptoid, and we'll be fine
That's not meant to poke an extreme amount of fun at those who believe these things, but perhaps to beseech those to provide even a modicum of evidence toward those ideas.

Sorry ........ I guess I'm just a tweak adrift tonight. Can I get 75% on-topic credit?

Good thread. Questions many of us have.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Maybe because 90% of the time they are looking through a telescope

All joking aside as an amature astronomer I am looking foward to the day that it does happen. Until then I will continue to observe shooting stars and satellites thinking what if.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ufo reality

Good subject!!

Looking at this got me thinking..Wasn't there a discussion about some "battle fleet" in the rings of Saturn or something. Who reported that?
Any one know?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
My guess is that they do.

I imagine fear of ridicule by their peers makes them think twice about reporting or going public with their sightings.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I have often considered this question. What I think is that cetain centers in the brain have to be tuned to see them other wise it just does not compute.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I get so sick of hearing ignorant people say that dried up/used up one liner.

I get so sick and tired of people starting threads that are complete bs, and when someone is questioned about it, they run away and hide and start new threads.

Sound familiar uforeality?

Besides, I thought the only thing you were good for was to remind everyone here when the crappy ufo hunters show is on.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ufo reality

What you say is true, but not just in the field of UFOs. Everyone has an opinion (which they love to share with others), regardless if they know anything about the subject or not.

I think many people don't realize Hynek had a PhD in astrophysics and was originally very skeptical of UFO reports.

Another very noteworthy astronomer is Clyde Tombaugh. Who was he? Oh just some guy who built his first telescope and discovered something people might have heard of... Pluto.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
If they do, then why are you asking why they don't see them?

But, I can give you an answer based off experience. Looking through a high powered equipment (assuming optical), you see a very small section of the sky. In addition, you are focused on the object you are viewing. If I am looking at Mars, and a satellite passes in front of my view (very small chance of that anyway) then there is a very good chance I will not see it.

People seem to think that astronomers just sit back and look at the whole sky thinking everything can be seen and is recorded. It simply doesn't work that way. The technical term for UFO is unidentified flying object. That can be used very loosely in space. If you want to expand it to say everything we have not identified is a UFO, then we see UFO's all the time. Lots of garbage floating around in orbit.

Basic protocol works like this. If I find "something" that is not in the known list of objects that should be there, I report it. It has to be confirmed by other locations. I cannot imagine any astronomer keeping this to themselves, because that is why you are in astronomy, to discover, to explore, to explain. If that object cannot be verified by any other location, then it basically didn't exist. Other locations can vary depending what the object was.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow_LordBasic protocol works like this. If I find "something" that is not in the known list of objects that should be there, I report it. It has to be confirmed by other locations. I cannot imagine any astronomer keeping this to themselves, because that is why you are in astronomy, to discover, to explore, to explain. If that object cannot be verified by any other location, then it basically didn't exist.

l
Agreed. It's called the Scientific Method. It's the only way anything new to science can become accepted as true. It's also the why the so-called astronomer/optics genius John Lenard Walson aka Gridkeeper is a complete an utter fraud.

WG3

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
gauncents - you're good a provoking people. I assume you aren't able to sustain meaningful relationships? I didn't run away and hide.

I posted the thread topic as a question that a lot of skeptics ask. I then posted a link to a video featuring J Allen Hynek talking about astronomers seeing UFOs. Start listening at :54 into the clip.

C'mon people, loosen up a bit...

[edit on 26-6-2008 by ufo reality]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I am an amteur astronomer (have a C6-ASGT scope, a ETX-125 AT and a WO 66mm SD refractor scope)..why we dont see UFO's? first when you are watching tru the telescope you a see just small part of the sky in fact, each eyepice gives you wide view or close views (depeding how much power each eyepice have)..for example the powers on eyepiuces for telescopes are size in MM...so a 26MM eyepice will give you a low power view (wider) while a 6MM eyepice will give high power view (closer view). There are different tipes of telescope, some refractor other schmidth-caseeegrain, Maksutov-Cassegraine, Newtonian and so on, and each and every telescope performes different and are made for different purposes, there is no "perfect" that can do all telescope.

With telescopes you can only see avery small fraction of the nightsky, so unless a ufo passes tru that exact spot you will not notice it!, if you want to see ufo's its much better to use your 2 eyes that gives you almost the entire full view of the night sky instead of a telescope (that only gives afraction or portion of it)....

I am talking on behalf of the amateur astronomers worldwide ( of course there are private institutions like universities, or nasa or another astronomical societies that ave larger bigger and badder telesocpe that the common amateur astronomer)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
By the way if you want to really know amateur astronomers, go to any star party near you (look around for info where you live) or any astronomic society, go and glady many amateurs wil let you use their equipment so you can see how much part of the nightsky you can se eon eyepice, you will me amaze that its very little compare to all the sky! just a very small part! and by the way maybe if you find it interesting you can buy later your own telescope if you like seeing the wonders of the universe.

By the way i have seen UFO (up close) and even have some contact, but for that you dont need a telescope my friend. I believe in ET life i am not a NASA employee (why everybody thinks that if you are a amateur astronomer you will denie saying there is life out there??) , i am just an avid amateur astronomer (with my small equipment)..

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
There are actually HUNDREDS of reports by astronomers. NASA even conducted a survey of sightings by astronomers that researched past reports going back to the 1600s of sightings of "anomolous" observations on the Moon. "Chronological Catalog of Reported Lunar Events".
Go 30 minutes into:
ca.youtube.com...

The question, "Why don't astronomers see UFOs" is designed to make the listener adopt a false assumption. It's an old semantic trick. Don't fall for it.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Another reason we amateur astronomers don't see UFO's is because many normal celestrial objects are mistaken for a ufo, but most astronomers are educated in exactly what is up there, and where it is, so when we see venus (which accounts for 1000's of false sightings ever year), we know we are just looking at venus. If we see a satellite, we know it's a satellite, etc, etc.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
yap very good question, why don't they get public with it
maybe it is because they really never saw one, so maybe
UFO are being creat on earth and not from outerspace lol

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

Are you saying that amateur astronomers don't see UFOs, or they are just less prone to misidentifying something? I will agree with the latter.

Kevin Randle has written about this subject on his blog.

The one that springs immediately to mind is Clyde Tombaugh who was credited with discovering the now dwarf planet, Pluto. In 1949, at 10:45, Tombaugh, his wife and his mother-in-law saw something strange in the night sky. The full report is now housed at the J. Allen Hynek Center for UFO Studies in Chicago, and I have held the original report in my hands (and I wonder what that document would bring on eBay?).

Tombaugh wrote, "I happened to be looking at the zenith... when suddenly I spied a geometrical group of faint bluish-green rectangles of light... As the group moved south-southeasterly, the individual rectangles became foreshortened, their space of formation smaller... and their intensity duller, fading from view at about 35 degrees above the horizon... My wife thought she saw a faint connecting glow across the structure." - source

Also, there are many reported UFOs in Project Blue Book from astronomers.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

what a load of utter and complete non sense.
maybe because there aint any up there. only loons see ufos

Try Googling or YouTubing "Nasa Tether Incident."

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatabunchofloons
what a load of utter and complete non sense.
maybe because there aint any up there. only loons see ufos

I know you are a troll and probably shouldn't even reply to your post, but oh well I don't have anything better to do at the moment.

Your comments, besides incredibly ignorant, are obviously false.

First of all UFOs don't mean anything more than Unidentified Flying Object. It says absolutely nothing about the nature of the object. It doesn't mean it's an alien spaceship, or natural phenomena.

Secondly, that "only loons" see UFOs is again completely false.

Many astronauts have seen UFOs while in Space and on Earth. Are they loons? Many military pilots have seen UFOs. Are they loons too?

This notion that only 'loons' see UFOs is completely unfounded and obviously only spouted by ignorant people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join