It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is disfigurment nessesary to be "cool"?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dru
I don't speak for everyone but I don't think any sane adult person would get something permanent on their body just to be "cool". (and to get anything done you have to be 18 ie adult. Unless you get it done somewhere seedy and then your just a moron anyway.)

Everyone I know who has tats or piercings or other body modification did it for them selves or for a culture thing like the people Banshee mentioned.

I've wanted tattoos before but i can't think of something i want on my body for my entire life so i never got any. I've heard the reason you gave many times, they did it because for themselves because they liked how it looked. Why the sudden rash of people who want them now? Before 5 years ago or so, almost no one had non traditional piercings, and tattoos while more common were still not commonplace.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Its not about being "cool", to some maybe. It about being your own person. Its about breaking the chains of the everyday person. Its about being your own person, not caring what people think.

Leave people alone. If you dont like it, DONT LOOK. Period. What ever a person does, if it dont mess with YOUR rights, leave them alone.

You punk ass people, scared to say ask them to there face. Have to whisper to your friends make fun, run to a web site to ask. Pity.

And you people ask why does everyone hate Americans.

Do you really have to ask?

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Battle scars are cool!

Yeah. I've got a scar on my forearm that I slather sunblock on in the summer so the contrast is greater. Great conversation piece and looks way tougher than the truth (childhood accident)

BTW- straight piercings aren't disfigurement as the damned holes generally seal up within a few weeks of not wearing the jewelry

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
seems I've accidentally stumbled into the old fart thread

as for my piercings, I like them. what other justification should there be when it comes to my body?

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
It is to soften you up for totally slavery with chip implants making you think how great it is to have nothing and to work for nothing.

Obviously this is the globalist pump of information consistent with their plans, to weaken your defenses against physical manipulation. It is a testimony to how basically stupid people are when it comes to "fashion," or being "hip and cool," and looking like an 85 pound model. Yeah sure it's great to starve to death to achieve so called "beauty," and to weaken your psyche with endless lamenting about "how you look."

It is all the same kind of control that achieves itself with the illusion of rebellion, or "individualism." Sure, when everyone in your local social group puts a metal ball in their tongue, it's just so chic especially when you get Hepatitis C along with everyone else. Such togetherness, such rebellion, such "individuality!" Yeah how convenient it is to so devalue your selfhood with "fashion," that a SWAT team just can't miss you at all.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather fly as a B-2 passenger, not in a Zeppelin painted with bright colors in the shape of a target.

Why go for kick me signs?

Beam me aboard Scotty! Better yet send the shuttle pod......all those transporter accidents lately seem to leave grotesque forms on the deck.

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I like guys with piercings. I have 4 ear peircings. I dont think peircing counts as 'disfigurement'.

Its all about different strokes for different folks. whatever tickles your fancy.

Also, I know alot of people who have a ton of piercings and arent cool. so that kinda throws that theory out the window.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman
It is to soften you up for totally slavery with chip implants making you think how great it is to have nothing and to work for nothing.

Obviously this is the globalist pump of information consistent with their plans, to weaken your defenses against physical manipulation. It is a testimony to how basically stupid people are when it comes to "fashion," or being "hip and cool," and looking like an 85 pound model. Yeah sure it's great to starve to death to achieve so called "beauty," and to weaken your psyche with endless lamenting about "how you look."

It is all the same kind of control that achieves itself with the illusion of rebellion, or "individualism." Sure, when everyone in your local social group puts a metal ball in their tongue, it's just so chic especially when you get Hepatitis C along with everyone else. Such togetherness, such rebellion, such "individuality!"

Beam me aboard Scotty! Better yet send the shuttle pod......

Are you serious? Did you fall, hit your head and wake up in another world.

You have to be playing. Its truly amazing to me the level of hate that there is still in this world.

As tired and old as it is, Cant we just get along?

You are the reason I HATE people.

Y
o
u

M
a
k
e

me sick. You are whats wrong with the world.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

You have to be playing. Its truly amazing to me the level of hate that there is still in this world.

Y
o
u

M
a
k
e

Actually cobra he is just taking cues from this man.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well, I asked if he was serious.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Well, I asked if he was serious.

Does this man look serious? I think so, just look into those determined eyes one more time.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman
Beam me aboard Scotty! Better yet send the shuttle pod......

Y
o
u

M
a
k
e

I do not mean to disabuse you of your way of doing things, I only know that in these times one should be naturally and constructively serious about mass culture and what it may or may not signify. Going with the "trends," and doing whatever is supposed to be "cool," should be taken with a grain of salt. Just because "everyone else," in your peer or pressure group is doing something, does not mean you have to do something. If you have to, then I don't blame you, maybe it is just too compelling.

But if you have a choice, just think about it. And if you really "hate people," because of what I have said, possibly you simply may not have a choice. Like I said I don't blame you for going along with fashion, if that is your meaning, but just think about it.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
Does this man look serious? I think so, just look into those determined eyes one more time.

holy crap that was pretty funny.

the whole debate over whether people do piercings b/c of the "mainstream" or for "themselves" is redundant. why? because its the same argument you can apply to every single thing we do in life. music, art, jobs, cars, fashion, anti-fashion, internet, school, EVERYTHING.

the truth is, half do it for one, half do it for the other, and the other half are pissed off and do it to piss somebody else off (like those who do exactly what they are told not to do, just to piss of their parents.)

yes, i am aware that i just used 3 halves.

so do what yo want, do what you please.
no one really cares about your purpose.
unless, of course, youre one of the people in that third half, then we're really pissed off about it.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I have always wanted a third eye tatooed in the middle of my forehead, but my dad hates tats, so I will not do it.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Now cut that out!!

Here comes the science.
www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
i got my first tattoo when i was 16. by choice.

i got my 2nd and 3rd when i was 18. by choice.

i got my 4th tattoo when i was 19. by choice.

my 5th comes next weekend. by choice.

see a pattern?

if you don't like them, don't get them. but don't bitch and whine about what i do or what i wear, or what i brand my body with, unless you want me to backlash.

thats the way i look at things.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
at my old college (undergraduate, currently in graduate), i used to work at a tattoo studio. there were people that came in for piercings/tattoos because their friends were there, granted these people usually landed in the class of fraternity/sorority, but occassionally you'll get the goths/self-depricators/so-called punks/etc., that feel the need to get piercings/tattoos in order to fit the stereotype. now, i don't have a problem with people getting tattoos/piercings/splitting/branding, etc. that's their own choice, but the first thing i ask is that they understand the consequences and repercussions before the action takes place. i know people that have delved over their tattoo designs for months and at the end, usually with 3 years, regret it. so basically, what i'm getting at, is yes, people do get if in order to fit in, and yes, people do it for their own sake and reasons. it's sad how people still judge by appearance, as humans, we have learned nothing about acceptance and tolerance. i have friends that have been split, inserted, cut, branded, etc. and the one thing that makes them different from the rest of is, absolutely nothing. so, tattoo yourself, pierce yourself, modify yourself, because body modifications are older then religion itself. if you want to do it, go out and do it, if not, then accept it, because it's not going to go away anytime soon.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Why don't people just not judge others? Do what you want with your life and don't look down your nose at people who live their lives in a way that you do not. I do not find percings of any kind attractive, but I do not believe that it is wrong in some sense to get them. If you don't like something then don't do it...simple enough.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
People try to hard to be "cool" instead of just being cool. Thats the problem.

They think that being cool is achieved trough all those "extensions" instead of trough actualy being cool.

Tattoo's and piercings and other things, you have in 2 kinds imho.

1 kind is the ones people get to be cool and show of.
The other kind is what people have because they like it for themself. Not for coolness or show, but purely for yourself. Thats the art part of it.

I have plans for a tribal tattoo I want to get, that will span from my arms, back, front, neck, even some part under the hair down to the lower legs.

I want this because I find it beautifull and there are actualy very few people that know I want it and there will also be very few people that ever get to see any of it.

I don't care about being cool or stuff like that. I pritty much don't care squat didly about what other people think about me. And what most people do to try and be cool usualy looks to me and most people as totaly not cool and just plain stuppid.

When your happy with yourself, the "want" to be cool isn't there.

The problem is that society dictates and learns from very young age, that you have to be cool for some reason, or have to be popular.

I like my privacy and I like being alone. Being popular is something I pritty much hate because "popular" people get to much attention from other people.

The cool and popularity need in most people is, imho, because they are to affraid to be with and by themselves. They don't see value in themselves, so they need other people to "rate" them and need other people to approve with them to feel value.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
When your happy with yourself, the "want" to be cool isn't there.

Just be...don't pretend to be.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I agree with all those who said it's not necessary to "be cool". But one cannot say that people does it to "be cool", "follow the crowd" or simply for them-selve. Everybody is different. I'm sure some people have different reasons to do it then some others.

I personnaly totally respect those who chose to do that to them-self, but I've chosed to honnor my body by not modifying it. It would go against my Karma and against what I believe. I don't have any right now, but I don't consider tatoos the same way.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join