It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queen strips Mugabe of knighthood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Queen strips Mugabe of knighthood

news.bbc.co.uk

Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe's honorary Knighthood has been annulled by the Queen.

Mr Mugabe, condemned over violence ahead of a presidential run-off election, was made a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath in 1994............
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Apparently things in Zimbabwe were different back in the days when Mugabe received the 'honour' of knighthood. Considering his racist views against white people and his disdain for the British in particular (colonial rule) I wonder why he accepted the (honorary) knighthood in the first place?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
So he could walk about wearing plate armour and not feel like a pratt?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The history of Zimbabwe in the 1970's and 1980's shaped things up for him to get the knighthood.

Basically, when the white minority Government in Zimbabwe declared independence in 1965, despite refusals from Britain to recognise independece unless it included the black majority and gave them suffrage. In 1970, they declared themselves a republic.

The whites refused to allow universal suffrage and so a civil war was fought between ZANU-PF and the White Government.

This is where Mugabe and his "war veterans" emerged.

After the collapse of the white minority government, Zimbabwe briefly became a colony again until the British setup a new system where everyone was equal and they were granted independence.

Mugabe was recognised in 1994 for his achievements during this time, which were actually quite noble, or at least started out that way.

But, power corrupts apparently and over the past 6-8 years, the man has lost a significant portion of his marbles and went on the rampage.

Hence, the situation we have today.

Quite why he has it in for the British is beyond me, seeing as we helped him gain equality for Blacks in Zimbabwe and honoured him for his actions.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
OH NOESSSSS !!!!!!one! they stripped him of an imaginary power? You mean one that don't mean jack crap in this day . That affords you no benefits and come from a now non existent power?

OMG HE"S SCREWED!!!

This is the stupidest thing i have read all week . WTF does this matter? Its about as useful as peeing in your own food. It don't matter to anyone but YOU!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
And where's Elizabeth's democratic mandate exactly ? She's even less legitimacy now than Mugabe will have after his rigged election. Who voted her Head of State ? Why, it was the Lord God Almighty, of course.

Vivat Regina !

Pot. Kettle. Black.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I agree with it as it is a SYMBOLIC gestrure... nothing more nothing less... it is a good thing.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

They might not mean anything to you, but to those who receive such honours every year it means a great deal to be recognised for your achievements. To be stripped of an honour must be an embarrassment and bring shame at least.

reply to post by Niall197

You might be a Scot, but there's no reason to be completely ignorant of the world.

The Queen is just a titular Head of State and doesn't actually run the country one bit. Robert Mugabe, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish entirely.

I would have thought that even someone with a limited grasp of how things are would be able to make the distinction between the two.

So it's not really the pot calling the Kettle anything. Using your analogy, it's more like the washing line calling the kettle black.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Corum

Well, I'm sure the people of Zimbabwe can now breathe a huge sigh of relief.
Her hands now washed and clean.
Problem sorted!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Weird that. As a proud Englishman you're supposed to say at this point that Elizabeth works hard all day reading her boxes, meeting ambassadors & ministers, chairing Commonwealth meetings & all the rest of the post imperial flummery. And hasn't she been doing it for nearly 60 years too ? Gawd Bless Ya, Queenie, the East End Luvs Ya (cue stockfilm of Elizabeth directing naval gunnery during the Battle of Trafalgar, or riding against the Visigoths)

That's what you're supposed to say.

But seemingly, according to you, she doesn't run the country one bit. She's actually got less influence than Mrs Miggins who cleans the Palace lavatories.

Fine. Get rid of Elizabeth then & scrap the entire institution. Scrap the lot if it's nothing more than old folks playing dressing up. Get the PM to present her with a carriage clock, a gift token & bid her a fond farewell as she climbs the stairs at Heathrow for a flight to her retirement home in some former Caribbean colony. I don't even know the woman & reckon she'd leap at the chance. Has anyone ever asked her what she wants ?

Elizabeth & Bob M probably know a thing or two about maintaining dynasties at the public expense. At least he was voted in. But we can't say that about our own little German Hausfrau, can we ? In that sense they share a common interest ... screwing over the taxpayer. She's had rather a better time of it than him.

How did she get the job again ? Oh that's right. Uncle Ed had a bad day at work and played pass the parcel with the Imperial State Crown with her D-D-D-D-D-Dad, who promptly smoked himself to death on cigs no-one else could get their hands on during the Blitz.

Wait ... did I say Blitz ?? (cue stock film of Elizabeth scrambling into a Spitfire, defeating the Luftwaffe single handed & performing a Victory Roll over the Reichstag while an irate Hitler shakes his fist in the air)

Jolly good show, Stumason, jolly good show. Your monarchy's doomed. Your blessed UK is finished too. It's a generational certainty. I so hope you live to see the day ... you'll be cut to the quick.

Enjoy.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Wow you are completely off topic and your post needs deleted... that said.

STU actually preseented facts on topic... reading your posts has just been a waste of a few KB's of info that I hope "-MODS-" will get deleted

Knighthood is a sign of respect.. If the queen takes it away regardless of her status... Shes proving to the world that dirty deeds dont go unpunished... ATLEAST when it concerns Trying to take over third world countrys....

Edit to add.

Who in their right mind starred him?

Edit to add more:

What more flags to make me mad

[edit on 25-6-2008 by rjmelter]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

How witty...

I'm not going to go through point by point of your diatribe there, just going to address a few wrongs you spouted..

The Queen can trace her lineage directly to Harold Godwinson. Know who that is? Probably not...

The Crown Estates bring in nearly £200 Million in profit to the Treasury per year. Annually the Civil list costs less than £20 Million. Hardly a taxpayer drain, is it?

Who gives a toss if a former Monarch smoked? I mean, really, is that the best you've got?

And I do hope the UK breaks up. Then the leeching provinces of Wales and Scotland will be forced to stand on their own two feet instead of receiving handouts from England. Won't be having free prescriptions, free Uni or cash incentives to give up smoking anymore, will you?

Perhaps instead of launching into an anti-English tirade, maybe you should just check up on who pays the bills.....

[edit on 25/6/08 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

Dunno, I think deep down Mugabe is probably a little po'd

Im just waiting for ol GW to come out

'' I have no problem with Gumabe, they held an election he won, and the opposition pulled out.
See, its democracy in action ''

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

I'm merely pointing out that neither Robert Mugabe and Elizabeth II have any democratic legitimacy whatsoever. What's wrong with that ? Perhaps I strayed on the way to tweaking Stum's brown whiskers but hey ho. So be it.

Censor the post to your hearts content, Mr Mods. Censor away. Keep all the racist stuff, of course, the anti-semitic stuff, the anti-gay stuff. Nail yourselves to the ATS cross when it comes to "Free Speech". But yeah, censor me for straying off topic. Be my guest.

So, Stumason. Elizabeth can trace her lineage to 1066 ? Good for her. She's a monarch. Doesn't have to do an awful lot of tracing, though, does she ? She's got an army of flunkies to tend to her every whim. Is she somehow better qualified to be Head of State than someone who can't trace their relatives back to 1066 ? Somehow more legitimate as a Head of State than an African black man who steals elections ? Of course not. Both are totally undemocratic. Pot. Kettle. Black. Will Mugabe care that his little bit of British tinsel has been taken off him by the Great White Queen from Far Away Lands ? Of course not.

And Stumason, how's it an anti English tirade ? I only mentioned the English once, describing you as the proud Englishman. You seem so keen to draw me into the whole UK/Britain/England/Scotland baiting thing.

Soz, old man, ain't biting.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

If the mods wanted it removed they would have already It was just my wishful thinking. And yes its fine to have freedom of speech. But even fools are allowed to speak... someone has to shut them up right? Point taken? Everyone has the freedoms... that dont mean they use them accordingly... like staying on post eh hem. Yes I agree the Queen... who needs her... whats her purpose? Im not sure... Does mugabe care about his knighthood? Probably not.. Does it effect him! you better believe it does. now he has a lot of pissed off people behind him.. Thats my point... thats all.

Edit to edit mispelled stuff. :

Hehe Even im allowed to make myself out to be a fool

Edit to elaborate:

While it means nothing to the sane people on ATS... the sheeple see knighthood as some sort of Enligtened Ornament... now that its taken away mugabe is just another mean old black man... before he was a righteous mean old black man. No racism intended. My moms best friend is black

top topics

join