It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life in the U.S. is a joke

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by slackware

I am the same age as you, but i live in australia.I agree with you about "if they show a nipple in a movie, they freak out, someone getting killed its ok, lets rate it PG.Its nearly 12000 people per year killed by guns in the U.S everyone can have one, violence on t.v and film is frequent and getting more graphic, everyones desensitized to violence on screen, but show a sex scene that is not as near as graphic as anyone of the ultra violent films released each year, its gets nc-17, or R 18+ in australia.Why do people get uncomfortable with nudity and sex, we all have sex and get naked , no problems, we don't kill and torture people everyday, but we are far more happy with that, than watching a sex scene, well the film cencors are any way.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by super70

Privilege....Did I hear that right PRIVILEGE! Its not a privilege that I can breath clean air, nor drink clean water or not have to worry that Government can listen in on every call, or stroke of the keyboard. Its my GOD DA*M right. Driving is a privilege, what is going on by this corp controlled government of ours is that our rights are being stripped away. As a Native American I can't go buy me a piece of land and live free. It only takes one year of not paying taxes and I no longer have that house to live in. Now how fricken free is that. Freedom means I live how I choose as long as I harm no one else, you can't do that in this country..PERIOD. So you keep being one of those Blue Pill People aka Sheeple and leave reality to those who have a firm grasp of it.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Yeah it should be perfectly legal to run around naked, and to do drugs. Maybe thats why our ancestors were so much more spiritual then us. They fought when it really was necesary for them to do so, not to secure oil fields. I want to relax, and enjoy the beauty of our nation, and of our planet, not work 40, 60, 80 hours a week to secure a bed and a means of transportation. Insurance is a scam, working is a scam, banking is a scam, and we all fall for it. dont get me wrong, i enjoy working to, its just that our work doesnt accomplish anything, unless you're a scientist or a doctor. we need to accomplish something with our lives. The world is dying and we tivo'd it.
Give us back our purple mountain ranges is what i say.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Great points, you think that stuff is ridiculous can you imagine getting arrested for even having this website like you would in half of the developed world.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
While I agree with some of the points in the OP, I simply can't agree with the title that life in the U.S. is a joke.

Life in the U.S. is generally fantastic. Not perfect of course....where is? I've lived in Europe and now I live in the US. I've traveled a fair amount. I'd pick the US as the place to live every time.

If you don't like the state of your country then you have 3 choices:

1. Move

2. Try and do something about it - make yourself heard.

3. Complain on an internet forum

Of course, there are plenty of countries where you wouldn't be able to do any of those 3 things if you weren't happy.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Well, it's about time someone started complaining in public about this crap. This world really needs more people that are able to realise the problems in government and society in general.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Becker44

I ask these questions for clarification. I for one do not know of a personal freedom or liberty that has been stripped away by our Government.

I sometimes get the feeling people regurgitate media sound bites in order to seem well informed.

My final question to you would be; Is there a country you think is more of a model for what you seek as one of it's citizens?

Just askin'

Becker

The right to an open trial by a jury of peers. American citizens accused of offenses related to terrorism are given secret trials; the tribunals are not limited to “enemy combatants.”

The right to see the evidence against you. The Justice Department often refuses to divulge the evidence collected against so-called “terror suspects.”

The right to be arraigned in a timely manner if arrested. American citizens, not just foreign nationals, who are accused of terrorism-related crimes may be arrested and detained without being charged.

The right to be secure from unwarranted eavesdropping. The Bush Administration asserts that it has blanket authority to wiretap American citizens without warrants or court oversight–a grave violation of the Constitutional division of powers.

The right to be secure in one’s persons and effects. The PATRIOT Act permits warrantless monitoring and even if the people involved are not directly suspected of committing any crime.

civil liberties have been lost Becker.

The 200 Billion dollar rip off of our broadband internet that was supposed to replace the antiquated copper wire to all areas of the United States by 2007 hasn't been touched. Where all the money go? Thousands lose their pensions because of corrupt companies like enron and many more. I don't mind working to save a nest egg all my life but it seems this kind of thing is happening far too much.

The right to keep and bear arms is now up for review in my states legislature whether it means the states militia or individuals can handle their own. As it stands now the right to own a gun is no longer a right it is a privilege we must have a license for. That means the Government can take that privilege away.

Then there is health care, you think you got health care in this country?
Think again and I am not talking about the Government doing it for us I am talking about the health care we pay top dollar for and when you need it is when you find out if you really got it, as many of them just don't pay and get away with it.

The kid also mentions our borders and he is dead on right about that too. I live in Arizona and it is absolutely asinine the crime that goes on because of it. Everytime our Sherrif does anything about it, the hispanic community screams racial profiling. HEY they are coming from MEXICO! What the hell kind of profile do you expect! The health care for illegals in Calif is breaking the system.

I think it's rather a cheap shot many of you slam the OP with the idea that he is just expressing sour grapes because he can't do drugs and walk around naked when the fact of the matter is drugs are pushed on television here for everything from restless leg syndrome to every kind of brain disorder, sleep disorder, weight loss and a myriad of other so called disorders that more people die from prescription drugs than they do the illegal ones. We got so many kids with asthma, autism, and diabetes it's off the hook! You ever talk to parents of other 9 or 10 year olds in schools today? I swear to god almost all of them think their kid is one of a few with attention deficit disorder. You ever look at the ingrediants of that "medicine" they got all our kids on! It's speed! Amphetamines and too many of them are on it to be real!

When I was a kid we didn't have all these kids on drugs. Then we wonder why they go off shooting other kids and committing suicide and the Government doesn't do jack about investigating our health care much less help us with health care insurance that just doesn't pay.

Don't think you are susceptible to being a drug user? Just get hurt while on the job when they prescribe Vicadin or Oxycotin.

There are only three manufactures of the drug pseudo ephedrine. Just three. Close them down and the Meth problem is solved and so is most of the illegal alien problems. What do WE do? WE bribe our Government officials saying "Well how are people going to get over the common cold when they are sick whaaa". Bribary isn't illegal as long as it's called lobby in our so called country where the rule of law is a Joke. I gave up my faith in our legal system after O.J. Simpson.

I gave up on the war on drugs when I heard about the CIA trafficking tons of coc aine.

I gave up on our so called capitialist government after watching the late Arron Russo's video on the federal reserve bank. This country has become a dog eat dog society where big corporations do everything they can to rip us off with "Bundled Bullcrap" and medocre municipal and city services. I have been alive long enough to see the decline and a lot of it could be fixed fast if the greed wasn't growing in Government. The kid is right about that too. I saw a millionare trying to run for state office against McCain here and he spent over a million dollars of his own money to get a job that pays $120,000 a year. Why would anyone pay that much to get a job that wouldnt pay enough to cover his costs getting it if he didn't know about the BIG BUCKS they make coming out of office.

You might think this is still the best country on earth but I think that is arguable anymore moreoever I think that is part of the problem.

We have become complacent, lazy, and apathetic.

and apparently, God help you

if you even bring it up.

Well I AM

- Con

[edit on 26-6-2008 by Conspiriology]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

I couldn't agree with you more.*
This country is very screwed up. We are a land of hipocracy and contradictions. On one side, we do have many more freedoms and choices than many, many other countries. On the other, many of us know that we are not as free as our founding fathers intended.

* Except for one point - "Nuclear obliteration couldn't really damage us any more, who knows, it might be just the thing we need to start over. I wouldn't be opposed to it."
In addition to caring for family, friends, and the lives of innocents that don't deserve such a thing, I believe that with those words you have just effectively labeled yourself under Federal guidelines as a possible domestic terrorist. Be careful what you wish for.....

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

Answer your own question by going to the airport, seeing your penis on a screen, being asked to remove your tshirt because it defies the political agenda, and then get annoyed and tell them to eff off and see how free you are when you are detained for it when in reality all of these things are a violation of your rights, privacy and freedoms.

Such as....

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire
I'm only 30 years old, and in the short time between me being a fun loving kid and my current status of pissed off adult, I have noticed exactly how ridiculous America is/has become.

We live in a country where....

We are shown basically real time bombing campaigns on TV, but people go nuts if a nipple makes an appearance.

Where they bleep out words like "drugs" and "heroin" on radio stations.

Freedom is nothing more than an illusion. Think you're free? Think again.

People are arrested and sent to prison for a very long time for committing victimless crimes.

People are arrested for possession of a certain substance that government agencies have been caught transporting

Lots of feeble minded twist like to carry on about how "free" they are. These people must not pay attention to what happens if they forget to pay their property taxes. In a truly free nation, the government couldn't come take your house.

We live in a nation where elected first time politicians go to DC and are worth maybe a few hundred grand, but when they leave office, they are worth millions.

Lets be honest here, most people in the U.S. are just plain stupid. They naively believe their "freedoms" and "rights" trump everyone elses. If they see/hear/read something they disagree with, they don't just ignore it, they cry out for it to be banned.

They allow more of our liberty to be taken away, usually in the name of "protecting the children". They allow more of our money to be stolen from us by government in the name of "being compassionate".

They allow the government to infringe on more and more of our rights in the name of "fighting terror", yet they continue to allow the jackasses in DC to leave our borders wide open. Yea, very effective "war" strategy there, leave your front door wide open.

I could go on and on, but I think this might give the gist of the sad state this nation is in.

Nuclear obliteration couldn't really damage us any more, who knows, it might be just the thing we need to start over. I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I'll tell you exactly what my global teacher used to say.

America IS free. Your free to do what you want, just expect to pay the consequences.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALightinDarkness

Originally posted by MrMysticism
Ok, unless you are born into money and your parents are paying tuition then you have to get grants which is about 5 percent change right now. Getting a student loan is signing your life away. You end up paying ten times the amount due to inflation and interest rates fluctuating during your life. Not to mention all the late penalties because you are struggling at the beginning of your carrer.

Not to turn this into an education thread, but I am so tired of seeing this stuff. Its simply not true. You can go to college for free if your a good student - at most state universities you don't even have to be that good either. Yes, its going to take time studying to get good grades and time to apply for those full ride scholarships - but no one said you didn't have to work for it if you want it free. Want to go to a school beyond your abilities or do poorly? Then your going to pay for it. And you should.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

I have to agree with Darkness here, I dropped out of high school at 15, went to a Community College at 25 and am currently attending a 4-yr. college for a BS. I don't owe any money, and should get a scholarship to pursue my Masters or PhD.. I'm now 29 and it's taken a long time and a lot of hard work, but I'm doing the right thing for myself. And I've done it all on my own - no help or money from anyone, not even any financial aid.

As for the rest of the OPs issues, though, I have to agree. You'd have to have your head in the dirt to miss the mess we've made for ourselves of our economy and our constitutional integrity.

RFID chips in our passports/ID cards?

Wiretapping without just cause?

Indefinite imprisonment due to "terror charges"?

Waterboarding?

Ever tightening gun legislation....

And the list goes on...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Im going to stick my head on the chopping block and agree with slacker.
I lived in holland in 1997 and saw a glimpse of "bliss" if you will. i wont go into the many freedoms and comparisons. but it was like no other place i ever lived! It was a very laid back country and everyone was happy. maybe you should give the netherlands a try? just an idea

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
There are some awesome places in Mexico you can move to and gas is cheaper there if it matters. Lol....Honestly it is and you'll do yourself a favor by moving there apparentely...and you'll learn a second language on top of that

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I feel the same way as this topic's author. I am 48 now, and I see there is no justice, no right or wrong in our society, just a simple case of who gets paid! Want to find out who will be judged guilty or innocent? Just analyize who will get paid for the outcome.

If I ran the show, all elected officials salary would be limited to living wage (you are a public servant, and are doing it for love of the country after all, not for personal gain), Lobbiest would be illegal, (it is bribery after all), and all laws would be re-written in such plain english language as to not have any double meanings or mis-interpretations. (there should never be a need for a lawyer to interpret a law, and nobody should ever profit from someone elses misfortune like lawyers do)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

That country is called The Netherlands

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by justamomma

Originally posted by justamomma
you were lucky (blessed, however you choose to word it) THIS time, but will you be the next time? and there is the problem!!

[edit on 26-6-2008 by justamomma]

The same could be said about playing Russian Roulette.

Maybe the solution is to stop playing games where your luck will eventually run out?

i don\'t play the games. my kids having a mother is more important than practicing what i believe is my God given right to smoke a little M. i take very seriously the fact that should i screw up in one aspect of my life the authorities will be there to \"straighten\" me out and may even decide that God made a mistake when giving me my children.

i take it VERY seriously!! and i don\'t put myself in positions where should my luck run out, i could be screwed up the arse. but i will continue to speak out about your right, the right of others, and my right to choose for ourselves what goes in our bodies.

it is ridiculous that i am a 31 year old who has to listen to \"mommy and daddy\" america about what is and isn\'t good for me and that i am punished or worse, my kids could be punished should i do something they don\'t approve of.

maybe that is our underlying issue. we wait all our childhood to become adults and decide for ourselves what is or isn\'t right for us, only to get to adulthood and find that we are still having to answer to someone about our personal well being.

how the hell is it gonna affect the public in a negative way if i choose not to wear my seat belt when driving up the road to a friend\'s house? yeah, should i get in a wreck, i may die... but this is my life, not yours and certainly not the governments.

way back when my ex and i first got married (before we had kids), we used to smoke a j when we\'d get off work to unwind and relax. we were both working hard from the bottom as most young couples do and this helped us both shake off the stresses of work, we\'d cook together, play card games, laugh, and do what young couples do. we weren\'t harming anyone.
BUT then we have a son and we suddenly realize that, even though this was a harmless, even helpful way of us dealing w/ stress, we let the smoking go..... because we were responsible and didn\'t want to risk losing our child. It ended up better common sense that I stay home w/ the baby instead of working merely to pay for child care and thus we ended up on one income. i am still eternally grateful to my ex for making the sacrifices he did by working so hard so i could stay home. he loved his family.

but the stress of it started to get to him. he wasn\'t allowed to do something that was harmless when got home from the stressful day at work bc it is illegal. so, he turned to something that IS legal yet extremely harmful and ended up being the catalyst in the falling apart of our marriage....... good ol\' alcohol!! my husband became an alcoholic! and the government was fine w/ this, even when it the effects only agitated his stress rather than helping to ease it away.

sure, he must and has and will have to take personal responsibility for his mistakes, but i watched the man i loved and still love fall apart on something that is legal (and should be legal) while he was prohibited from turning to something that actually helped him relax w/out the harmful side affects. yet the better of the two is illegal and the one that is a contributor to more deaths is legal.

it doesn\'t make sense to me. do i smoke? no, i love my kids and bc there IS that freedom they have taken away, i don\'t choose to risk it.

i can\'t make sense in my head why two ppl of the same sex would want to be together when it is unnatural (IMO), but GD, i would not dare impose upon them a law that says they don\'t have that right. they aren\'t hurting me by whatever it is they are doing in their bedroom and so what if they want to get married? hell, going through a divorce w/ two kids showed me real quick how much this country doesn\'t give a # about the institution of marriage and how quickly they are there to take your money and help your family be ripped apart..... i say for those opposed to gay marriage, LET EM MARRY and chances are, they won\'t be so \"in your face\" w their lifestyle anymore. they will find out in this country, marriage is a joke and there are so many laws and regulations put in place to tear apart even the strongest of couples.

i just watched a segment of cnn this morning and (no joke, literally) wanted to puke when they had a woman on (who wasn\'t even from this country, but here as an exchange student) who had been a victim of the va tech shooting. sad, sure.. she had been shot in the head and the bullet is still lodged somewhere around her brain (and obviously that bullet not only is affecting her rightness of my mind, but that magic bullet was affecting the rightness of mind for those who interviewed and aired her point of view......... some bullet). point is, this foreigner (yeah, i said foreigner and w/ no ill intent toward her personally) is speaking out against our rights to bear arms and is being allowed to do so. she even made the ludicrous statement that should she have had a gun, she would have probably been dead. so not having a gun saved her life. HUH?
as i said, SOME BULLET!!

who the heck cares what she thinks? she goes back to her country and i am still here w/ two kids and i would rather take my chances having a gun to defend my boys should someone break into my home.

THIS PICTURE DOESN\'T MAKE SENSE!!! this isn\'t about if i smoke or don\'t smoke. it isn\'t about if you smoke or don\'t smoke. it isn\'t about if gays are wrong when they claim to be in love or if they are right. it isn\'t about whether wearing my seatbelt will or won\'t save my life.

each and every human, not ONLY in america, but in every liveable and unliveable place on this planet DESERVES the right to pursue their own personal happinesses so long as that happiness does not interfere w/ another persons right to pursue their happiness.

no doubt there are those who have say so over us who don't give a second thought to pursuing their lifestyles that make them happy. but now their pursuits are infringing on my right to my pursuits and your rights.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

As for the waldrobe malfunction, no actual Americans complained that I know of.
That was all FCC and a media spectacle. It was the media making a hoopla out of it.

In fact, TIVO reported that it was the most played back segment of tv ever.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by nixie_nox]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

the typical rush limbaugh closed mind comment, not constructive.

Disillusioned youth become so from a spark of truth.

A PROPHECY

The Guardian Prince of Albion burns in his nightly tent,
Sullen fires across the Atlantic glow to America's shore:
Piercing the souls of warlike men, who rise in silent night,
Washington, Franklin, Paine & Warren, Gates, Hancock & Green;
Meet on the coast glowing with blood from Albions fiery Prince.

Washington spoke; Friends of America look over the Atlantic sea;
A bended bow is lifted in heaven, & a heavy iron chain
Descends link by link from Albions cliffs across the sea to bind
Brothers & sons of America, till our faces pale and yellow;
Heads deprest, voices weak, eyes downcast, hands work-bruis'd,
Feet bleeding on the sultry sands, and the furrows of the whip
Descend to generations that in future times forget.----

The strong voice ceas'd; for a terrible blast swept over the heaving sea;
The eastern cloud rent; on his cliffs stood Albions wrathful Prince
A dragon form clashing his scales at midnight he arose,
And flam'd red meteors round the land of Albion beneath
His voice, his locks, his awful shoulders, and his glowing eyes...

(1793)

more here...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

It sounds like your main complaint is that you can't toke up at will.

Seat belt laws actually have a point, when you consider insurance costs.

And gays are slowly but surely getting the right to marry, one state at a time.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Don't like it? Get out. We have an overcrowing problem anyway. I'm sure there's room for you in Iran.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join