It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life in the U.S. is a joke

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by redboar
reply to post by Dearg

I'm really tired of people who realized the American dream by sheer luck or wealthy families who give them a huge head start pass judgement upon everyone else, and at the same time skew and misrepresent what is really going on in the US to other countries.

obviously my stance on this thread is clear
. but i must say that there are those out there making their personal dreams come true THROUGH hard work and a little thinking outside the "box" and not by sheer luck or bc they were born into wealth. i can testify to this because i see it.

i have a good friend who has done such a thing. works hard and is building a business w/out stepping on others toes in the process. however, even he is distressed at the way things are going. he knows very well that should things continue the way they are, all this hard work and dedication he has and is putting into his business is subject to be tampered with and/or taken away down the line.

it is the once slow, now quick degradation from what this country should be that worries ppl. sure, for now you can get some piece of it, but there are ppl who, through hard work, are getting a piece, but fully aware that the piece THEY WORKED for could be taken away should something not change quickly.

basically just saying, not everyone gets what they want through sheer luck and/or birth........... and if they want to keep it for their own future generations, we need REAL change.... not illusions of change.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Damn straight. When the sheep can no longer rely on the shepherd, they have to begin looking after the herd themselves, rather than running to safety. Too bad it's been bred into us. Too many are ready to run for shade and too few prepared to step away from the flock and be an individual.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dearg
Damn straight. When the sheep can no longer rely on the shepherd, they have to begin looking after the herd themselves, rather than running to safety. Too bad it's been bred into us. Too many are ready to run for shade and too few prepared to step away from the flock and be an individual.

i do agree w/ this. the more that i have been discussing these and similar topics on here and doing research, the more i see we have no one to blame but ourselves for allowing these things we are so adamently against to go on.

you have said it well and i couldn't argue w/ either of your posts. time to grow a backbone. don't like it? then don't continue to succumb to it. that is the only answer i have at the moment, but it really has hit home with me.

quit taking things from the government bc if ya do, then you have no right complaining.

change will only come when ppl value being individuals more than they value the safety (or the illusion of safety) and comforts we have so willingly sold out for.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
everyone should go to europe especially in the best years ,and then decide if you want to live in the usa again.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
ERR...

Why? I think I'd rather go to America's best years instead.

Just a preference. Maybe I'm biased!

Can anyone else see these anonymous posts yet?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dearg
ERR...

Why? I think I'd rather go to America's best years instead.

Just a preference. Maybe I'm biased!

Can anyone else see these anonymous posts yet?

i am w/ ya on point A and point B. only noticed the thread again cuz of the anonymous and yet...........

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Everything in this country is so corporate.

Like today I wanted to rent a car but the place closes at 6 I called them and said I was running late and asked them to hang on for 15 min. They kindly told me not to try and come back tomorrow morning at 7:30.

People cant even display kindness because their company rules. I would have waited 20 more min. Just because its a nice thing to do.

Disgusting.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
with the wide range of capabilities the internet has to offer I have found that a lot of people are unhappy living in the US, and I myself really think America is a joke to live in because I personally know a few people who have been arrested with charges that are ridiculous and it isn't right. I as well as many others hope that this country would become better but it isn't looking that way and the fact that people don't really act like they used to, and by that I mean like in the 60s/70s in the days of the counterculture, if people today could get that mentality back this country could possibly be a lot better, and people would be a lot happier. God damn this country.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Dearg

have you ever been to europe ?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nocty

I'm so glad you asked.

I've spent four or more days in each of the following; Germany, the UK, Ireland, France, and Italy. Once our unit left Afghanistan in early '05 I spent a couple of months in Georgia as well, doing training exercises and working with the local forces while we taught them some of our tricks of the trade. Basic marksmanship, radio comm, MCMAP, etc. (my job there was MCMAP)

You should really read a person's posts before making things personal. I'm not offended, just amused. Now, as for my reasons...

Well, currently Germany's got a terrible birth rate while it's percentage of senior citizens just keeps rising. It's got a glass ceiling for women the likes of which would send Americans screaming for equal opportunity, and oh, let's not forget the underlying tension between what used to be East and West German citizens. Add that onto a sensitivity about antisemitic remarks (DON"T be the idiot saying 'That freakin Jew' or 'Dude, how Jewish') and you've got a really pleasant place to live, yeah. No thanks.

Italy's nice, I'll give it that. Somehow. They've got the fourth or fifth highest population density in all of Europe, a waste disposal problem, and a political system that makes our laugh and point at it. Then again, they've only existed as a unified nation since what, 1870? That's an even younger nation than we are, governmentally speaking. Don't get me wrong, if I had to live in Europe I'd choose Italy as my second option.

I don't like France. Sorry. The culture's just too far off from what I grew up with. That was a surreal experience.

The UK is...different. I've got a half-dozen friends living in the UK and I try to avoid asking what bugs them about their country. Like us here stateside, they seem to have a list miles long. For me though, the biggest problem is their gun control. For that reason alone I won't live there. I don't have many complaints about the UK, especially as I don't live there, but their gun control is a disaster.

Ireland is lovely, but when compared to the US it's like the difference between NY, NY and...say, Arkansas. If I moved to Ireland it would be to abandon modern life, because that would be the best way to integrate with it's people. You can talk to plenty of people who haven't traveled farther than the next town in all their lives, and see no need to. Nope, if I were to leave the US I would go to the Emerald Isle, and more for familial reasons than any other. Good Olde County Fermanagh.

Those are but a handful of countries that make up Europe. Europe also has Croatia, Serbia, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, oh gee, let's not forget a chunk of Russia, and plenty more besides. Instead of labeling an entire continent, with it's myriad problems, better than the US, go ahead and pick and choose. Yes, I understand that traveling between European countries is a bit different than going to Canada or Mexico, but until the EU can claim a national flag, it is a collective of national representatives. Come on now.

I stand by my statement that given the choice, I would rather live in America's best years than that of any European nation.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by vance

Text Blue
Man, I don't know what dream land you are living in but it sure as hell isn't the USA
. As far as good jobs, all I see are good businesses closing or going off shore. or outsocing.
When was the last time you heard of a good big buisiness opening and hiring here.
Have less education, and if your job is still here, they will hire an illegal for it.They work cheaper.
Forget closing the borders. It is not happening.A BIG freeom lost.
Our men that come back from Iraq or in service--the emp;oyers use to have to hold their jobs open. Come back from fighting now and find an illegal took your place while you were away defending this country..Another freedom lost.
and forget after fighting for your country and being wounded getting health care. That is a bigger fight than the one you just came from. Another HUGE FREEDOM LOST.
Until the Bushs became president National Guard was kept here at home to protect YOUR state.NOT sent off to fight for oil and make the rich --richer.
I could tell you a lot of freedoms we have lost and if you can't see them you are either walking around with blinders on or are a RICH REPLICAN

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I've followed this thread since it's birth, commented very little. Mainly I just wanted to sit back and see what was viewed as our countries problems.

The rich elitist republicans haven't changed a bit since they bullied us into accepting the Federal Reserve on their terms. I keep saying this and I find it's not common knowledge, but when this whole Rep. -vs- Dem. started it was dubbed "The Aristocrats-vs-The Democrats", That was in the 1800's! My how nothing has changed, only now they talk poor people into voting for them somehow. It always was and always will be the Rich-vs-the Poor, when it comes to political process.

Also, I want to get something else straight, Do not confuse capitalism with Democracy, it's possible to have a democracy without capitalism. Capitalism always ends up in the scenario, the rich get richer and what do I get, that's right poorer! Don't get me wrong I'm clawing my way out of this dark hole dug for me explicitly by the Rep. majority, I don't want any help either, so don't offer me financial Aid!

It's funny we endure the same oppression today as we did before our ancestors moved here from England. I would actually run from this oppression, only problem is I'm not French, I don't run from my problems. Also there's no better place to go~!

"There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America" Bill Clinton

"You fool me once, uuhh, shame on me,uuhhh, no shame on you,uuuhhgghh, "George Bush

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by azblack

Since you wish to blame everything on "elitist republicans", maybe you can tell me why democrats lease the most expensive cars in Congress, and stick the taxpayer with the bill.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by slackerwire]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

I don't even know what instance you are talking about, so giving you an answer for it would display ignorance on my part. Here's the difference in corrupt politicians:
A democrat will blatently rip you off in a way that displayes his greed certainly, they all do it. Our system is corrupt! But more than likely it will be something done out in the open, a misake, or just greed plain and simple!

The Republicans however will indoctrinate their schemes into law, lowering taxes and increasing spending, hoping you won't realize it's the same thing, Playing games with the American dollar making bankers, especially those on the Federal Reserve, very rich, beyond comprehension.
They have gotten away with this scam of a banking system for 150 yrs. We pay intrest now on our govt. expenditures-vs- the balanced budget left when Clinton left office, the ultimate corporate scheme. I doubt the Democrats can top that. Hell they're not connected enough to the old money to do it!

What's more I really wish I wouldn't have made such strong statements against the Rep. 'cause a party arguement is the same as a religious one, it never ends up with any solution. Plus I didn't say everything was their fault, just our financial problems! It's all our fault for allowing it to go on for so long, Really it's gotten to the point corruption know's no party lines, I'm just saying it didn't start out that way. Up until probably the 70's it really was The Aristocrats-vs-The Democrats

[edit on 3-7-2008 by azblack]

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join