It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life in the U.S. is a joke

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

And now because of their stance they are outselling most other country acts from their generation.

I fell into the idea that the Dixie Chicks may have overstepped their bounds in Germany but my old lady, bless her heart, corrected me on this stateing that they, as American's, are free to say and do what they will.

The goverment is to serve the people and not the people to serve the goverment!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Raise your kids with love, be happy about the things that you DO have, take time to appreciate the small and the simple things. And most importantly, relax. It's only life, we all go through it.
reply to post by BlackOps719

Very good advice. King Solomon, son of David, said the very same thing in Ecclesiastes. Enjoy your kids and the women you love! Their is no better gift!

Love your John Cash avatar.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

By the way Slacker..good thread. Stuff like this needs to be discussed in the open.

Starred and flagged.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Hey Mop...that was a good read. It took me a bit to figure out the jist of it but I must say I really enjoyed your point of view.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire

Freedom is nothing more than an illusion. Think you're free? Think again.

People are arrested and sent to prison for a very long time for committing victimless crimes.

Well, this thread isn't spacey enough, so please allow me to fix that!

I will add my take on what you have said - People create their own reality. Quantum theory is touching on this, but isn't quite there yet. "How can he say this with all the suffering in the world, all the miserable stuff mentioned by slackerwire?!", you say. Well, I didn't say we were proficient at it, at least, not most. What always gets in the way is ego-driven behavior. The ego shouldn't be driving, but in many it is. It doesn't like change, the unexpected, the different. Its the source of fear, and the overwhelming feeling of lack of control that inspires all the ridiculous measures of control mentioned by government et al.

But what has really stirred up the pot lately is this - spiritually, the vibrational rate of existence is being raised at this time in our history, helped by the arrival of old and advanced souls in many of those born in the last few decades. The trouble is that those who resist the spiritual advance, the ego-driven types, find that their actions are less effective, so that pushes them into a corner of frustration, and they feel they have to do even more crap. Sooner or later it will have to dawn on them that they will have to change this way of doing things. Have you noticed how easily these days their deeds are being exposed?

So there will be a bumpy ride for awhile, but I would like to think that the end result will be better.

Mod edit:Fixed quote tags.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is an awesome thread, and I totally agree with you OP 100%.

Corporations have distracted people with all this useless junk: big ass fancy cars, high tech computers, a gargantuan house with dozens of bed rooms, the latest game systems, rediculously expensive clothing etc etc. Corporations have done a very good job in making many people believe that all this pointless material will make one happy (Through commercials, advertisements etc etc.), when all it really does is make us tools of big business and put us in major debt pretty much making us their slaves.

So instead of paying attention to what the government is doing behind the scenes, we pay attention to the latest gadgets the Jone's have across the street and going to Best Buy in order to catch up with them. Instead of aiding the millions of Americans who suffering in disgusting slums and having to go through bane condtions, we worry about what new outfit I should buy so I can wear it to Jen's party. Hell, instead of fighting for our freedoms and honoring them, we let this lame ass administration pass this absurd thing called The Patriot Act which would let the government pretty much ignore the Bill of Rights in the name of national security. You've gotta kidding me? And the crazy thing is, so called "Patriots" back this damn thing.

lol I'm pretty heated right now so it might seem like I'm going all over the place. I wanted to type more but I totally forgot what I wanted to say
. Anyway, this is a great thread and I'm going to star and flag this one. More people need to see this.

Anyways, it's time to wake up America and see whats really going on. Put down that damned credit card start putting up a fight against this corporatocracy destroying our wonderful nation and it's ideals!

Just some thoughts.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by Striker122]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
So I guess your looking for a country where it is perfectly legal to run around naked, abuse drugs, get housing for free, and never have to worry about people disagreeing with you?

I don't think that is what was being implyed at all. But why not? Why shouldn't we run around naked?? The drug abusers will die off slowly. Free house is an awesome idea.

But someone will always be in disagreement, I don't see a way out of that one.

Mod Edit: Fixed quote tags.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

Originally posted by whiteraven
And now because of their stance they are outselling most other country acts from their generation.

Not "because of their stance". It's because people have short memories.

I fell into the idea that the Dixie Chicks may have overstepped their bounds in Germany but my old lady, bless her heart, corrected me on this stateing that they, as American's, are free to say and do what they will.

That's not the issue at all. The issue is, they can say what they want, but we don't have to like it. We have the freedom of choice to not buy their music.

The goverment is to serve the people and not the people to serve the goverment!

But the gov't had absolutely nothing to do with any sanctions against them, now did they?

The biggest of the cowards, imo, are the ones who go to a foreign country to badmouth their country.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
reply to post by vance

Yeah I here that all the time. Get an education and get a job. Make something of yourself to be happy.

Ok, unless you are born into money and your parents are paying tuition then you have to get grants which is about 5 percent change right now. Getting a student loan is signing your life away. You end up paying ten times the amount due to inflation and interest rates fluctuating during your life. Not to mention all the late penalties because you are struggling at the beginning of your carrer.

It cracks me up when people say something that is "Easier Said Than Done!"

Giving personal advice or psychological advice online is very bad because you don't have the time to fully assess the individuals situation and you more than likley have no idea what you are talking about you are just trying to impress others.

Guess what, America is set up for you to be in debt for life and that makes it almost impossible to live.

My parents were not rich and I am doing just fine. I recieved financial aid and some student loans as well as working my way through college. I am now self employed and doing quite well. You every hear of a scholarship. I also know many people who also came from nothing and are also doing quite well. There are many people who are born into money and maybe they have some kind of advantage, however I would way rather be self made from nothing then have it handed to me. As another poster said, If you are motivated enough and work hard enough the opourtunity to succeed in the USA is better than anywhere else on Earth. I am so sick of people complaining about freedoms here. You want people to be able to curse on TV. Get cable. I have done whatever I have wanted in the USA. I have never had any of my freedoms taken away. Everyone that lives here should be thankful for the oppourtunity. If you can not take advantage of it, then too bad. Those are the people that complain everyday. Go live in Darfur or Somalia. You are one of the lucky 5% that were born here. Stop complaining and take advantage. I have never met one complainer who has been successful.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

HOWEVER, i would not tell them they have no right in being upset or distressed over their personal family problems, even though they have more help than i do. it doesn't lessen their anxiety and their right to be distressed over their situation just bc they have that extra help that i don't have.

in general, that is the same way that i view the OP's distress over the state of america. yes, FOR NOW, he has more of an advantage than third world countries and even other places that aren't currently third world, but it doesn't lessen the anxiety of the wrongs and the dangerous trail that we, as a country are headed down. and if this country is headed down this dangerous path, then every single one of its citizens are headed down it as well; which should be enough to jolt us all into not accepting this path anymore, even those who "feel" comfortable for the moment.

think about it.

Very well said, justamomma. Just because there are individuals out there who "feel comfortable for the moment," does not mean that they should be blind to (or ignore) the fact that our country is indeed on a downward spiral to hell.

We do need to stop the "don't like it, then leave mentality" that justamomma mentioned earlier. It's not as easy for some of us. Take me for instance, a 17 year old teenage boy who lives with a baby cousin and two severely handicap women, mother and aunt, who live off of welfare, a mere $20K combined annually. How could a family like this afford to move to another country? If it was possible, many would have already moved.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by mardan]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Not "because of their stance". It's because people have short memories

Wow. I love your logic. You take two flaming statements that strike every North American as true; both of wich, because of the strong iconic arctype raise a feeling of an aggresive emote; and you use that as some sort of proof that the Dixie Chicks are now doing very well because people "have short memories"!

Is that a gift....or are you trained!

[edit on 26-6-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMysticism

I couldn't have worded it better myself,a lot changes when you turn 18(after wanting to be an 'adult' all of your adolescence suddenly you realize you want to go back,lol)as I am now learning(I just turned 22).Excellent post.

Edit to add:And yes I agree that sexual conduct here in the US is way to strict,conventional,and 'protestant' like.

[edit on 6/26/2008 by jkrog08]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

The biggest of the cowards, imo, are the ones who go to a foreign country to badmouth their country.

Totally agree,excellent point,that is exactly how I feel.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

While I agree some what with your post(meaning if things continue the way they are I can see the country becoming like you say,although I don't see it as bad yet as you say)could you explain this comment for me please?

People are arrested and sent to prison for a very long time for committing victimless crimes.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

That's what I told everyone. I don't care what the Dixie Chicks said; I believe in freedom of speech.

Just don't go saying crap like that in a foreign country just to hear the cheers. If they had any balls, they'd have said it in downtown Houston, where their fan base is at.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Wow, this has got to be the best thread I've read on here. Thank you Slacker for stating your views and starting this commentary. Most of them I agree with whole-heartedly. Justamomma has some extremely valid points as well.

What some aren't seeing here is that it is not America that is "hated" by him or me, it the friggin' government that is. Where we are heading is not going to be a very pleasant place for any of us. I am scared #eless about it. I am also angered to the point of doing what may need to be done. For us and our children. I do feel guilty that I had part in bringing a child into this world with a very questionable future. I feel I must do something to make it right. I know at the moment I am completely unable to do much but speak the truth of what is going on, but until then, so be it. Threads like this are important. they are what matter in between most of the fantasy and dis information splattered over this site. MORE PLEASE!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I believe he means simple possession charges and the like.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 20 Eyes

Thanks for clearing that up,I never thought about that.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Things are especially bad right now...I mean, something is coming - that's why these oil companies are getting so wealthy so quickly all of a sudden.

It's like they're stocking up on money because of some future event.

So, a typical American day is now like this...

Wake up. Eat breakfast and drink water with fluoride in it. If you drink orange juice, you've dodged fluoride for now. But you'll have to drink water SOMETIME during the day.

Work all day, worried about whether or not you'll have a job tomorrow. On the way home, you pay attention to your gas meter, cursing about the next trip to the gas pump.

Back home, watching the news about how gas prices have gone up again. Of course, the media has spun everything out of proportion, so nothing is really completely true. Then, you hear about soldiers dying in a false war.

Watch a few mind-numbing television shows before going to bed.

Yeah, life's great here in America. Yawn.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
i just can't for one second think that the founding fathers of this country would think this kind of attitude displayed by a good majority (not all, mind you) of the modern day american is acceptable considering what THEY did to help get you here. what a testiment to our thankfulness for what they did, that we as citizens throw our hands up in the air and accept all the impositions on our personal lives by a government that was intended to be run BY us!! i just don't feel right about being comfortable in this society.

and quit w/ this "ya don't like, it then leave" cuz honestly, i am gonna tell ya, when push comes to shove, i'll be one of the ones standing up for your LIBERTY (and i really wanna say "you lazy lushes", but can't say it w/out saying that some of you are REALLY kind of coming across that way) w/ my life should it come to that (which it very well may) and if YOU don't like it, the fact that some of us are willing and wanting a revolution that takes our lives out of the hands of those who are apathetic to our well being and puts the choices of our lives back into our hands, then YOU are the one that should leave. you really don't deserve to be here considering what others long ago have done to allow you this spoiled life of luxury that you so willingly sell your freedom for.

i don't want to be rich or famous. i don't want to stand out, but GD! i want, at the very least to be able to trust others again and have them trust me w/out having to submit to drug tests, showing an id, my birth certificate, ss#, etc etc etc. i want to be able to walk into a mom and pop shop that is thriving w/ customers in a community that cares about one another instead of a big coorperation who wants to suck my $$ out of me but could care less about my day. i may not smoke marijuana given the choice, but GD, i WANT THAT CHOICE!!

I DON'T want half my paycheck to go to things that i don't support anymore. i want my vote to really count. i want to be left alone w/out worrying about anyone coming to my door bc they consider me suspicious. i want to know what is going on behind government doors because it DOES concern me and my kids, my family and my friends. i want the government to answer to me and to all of you and not the other way around.

Benjamin Franklin :

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Samuel Adams :

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil Constitution, are worth defending at all hazards."

A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.

Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, February 12, 1779

and one i can relate to:

An honorable Peace is and always was my first wish! I can take no delight in the effusion of human Blood; but, if this War should continue, I wish to have the most active part in it.

John Paul Jones, letter to Gouverneur Morris, Sept 2, 1782

[edit on 26-6-2008 by justamomma]

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join