It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life in the U.S. is a joke

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocksarerocks
reply to post by slackerwire

Don't like it? Get out. We have an overcrowing problem anyway. I'm sure there's room for you in Iran.

What do you have to contribute here that justifies your presence more than his? And by that virtue, what makes you anyone to judge?

Grow up.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire

How about any and all laws regarding drugs? Trafficking carries a pretty hefty sentence, yet no one is victimized.

One of my best friends Jeff, dead at 40 from Cocaine and Crack use.

Another friend Perry, 7 years in prison, a ruined career and life, after killing a girl walking down the street he hit while driving on drugs at 8 in the morning. His IQ was estimated at over 180 but chose drugs over education.

My friend Greg who while on alcohol and Dilaudid's smashed into a Truck Driver at an intersection and had to watch him burn alive. He has been in a permanent state of extreme depression since and went into a nursing home at the ripe old age of 50 still addicted to drugs.

My old friend Ed, a marketing genius, homeless, dirty and without hope at the age of 55 because he could not beat his addiction to Heroin. We shared many a needle together when we were young.

The best salesperson I ever had, Doug, dead of liver failure at 56 due to years of Cocaine use. They would not give him a transplant because he could not quit the Cocaine.

My Mother, dead at 60 from Cirrhosis, twenty years after she quit drinking.

Stan, a student at my High School, committed suicide while on Mushrooms. Stuck a rifle barrel in his mouth and pulled the trigger.

Brent, the son of a man I worked for when I was in my 20's, suicide while on Cocaine and Codeine. He also stuck a rifle barrel in his mouth and pulled the trigger.

Oren, a homeless person who often panhandled in front of my office, found dead. Died in his sleep of liver failure from a lifetime of drugs and alcohol just a few days ago. They found his body across the street from my office. No family, no anybody, not even an obituary in the paper. He was a kind man who never hurt a soul. I first met him when I saw him help a stranded woman in distress by pushing her car out of the street. She offered him money and he refused it even though he desperately needed it. We talked often when he was coherent and I will miss him, this world is a little worse because this homeless person is gone. He was under 50 years of age.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a reason for the drug laws? Perhaps they really are bad for you.

Another interesting tidbit. More people have died on the Mexican side of the border, in disputes between drug suppliers to users in the US in the last year, than American soldiers that have been killed in Iraq in the entire war. Perhaps drug dealing is not such a victim-less crime after all?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I have no problem with driving under the influence of narcotics laws because like drunk driving they potentially put others at risk.

As for the others, they made the choice to do drugs, kill themselves, etc etc etc.

They made a choice as to what they were going to do with their own bodies. Government has no Constitutional authorization to make laws prohibiting drugs.

Why should someone be sent to prison for growing a pot plant in his backyard so he can cultivate his "crop" and sell it or smoke it himself?

Given that drugs used to be legal, were made illegal on the basis of racism, and are continually trafficked in by our own government, why should they be illegal?

If nothing else, drugs are nothing more than yet another reason the government uses to violate even more of our rights.

They use drugs to violate peoples 4th Amendment rights. These so called drug laws have resulted in the deaths of numerous people at the hands of government agents.

To recap, drug laws: Unconstitutional, the reason for rights being violated, and the reason for government murdering quite a few citizens.

Do they result in more good than they do harm? Of course not.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

McDonalds is probably responsible for more death than drugs.
Why is it not a controlled substance and do people not do it to themselves by eating it?

What I mean is why do we demonize items and substances when people are the ones who bring it onto themselves?

If we form our laws by that logic you won't be able to go outside because the sun will cause cancer, we won't be able to watch TV because Ultimate Fighter will cause kids to punch each other in the faces until they die, and
we won't be able to eat because McDonalds will kill everyone.

I am sorry about the peope you mention, but why are they not accountable for their own actions?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

I have no problem with someone growing a plant or smoking a "J" in their own homes. In fact it is legal here where I live, in the US by the way.

Not all drugs are created equal.

When drugs were legal the same problems of addiction and destroyed lives existed. One of the worst epidemics of Cocaine use occurred in later part of the 19th Century. In fact there was a conspiracy to take us over through coc aine addiction and those producing it would never have dreamed of using their own product. There was also a major a problem with Laudanum use at that time. That is how some of these laws came about.

Drug use among children who are still in school, and I include Pot in this, is an extreme danger. Anything that interferes with education and motivation can ruin a child's life. I'd as soon shoot anyone who sells drugs to kids in the head as look at them.

Adults is another story, and I could agree that laws are not the answer, because they obviously are not. Having been a licensed Drug and Alcohol Councilor after quiting myself, I could go into a treatise about this topic but I think that would be for another thread. I was disputing your contention that Drug Dealing is a victim-less crime which it clearly is not.

Oh well, at least you have vented and perhaps you no longer want to blow up 300 million people because you are pissed at the government
Nuke-em if they can't take a joke is poor attitude in my book

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Critical_Mass

Again, as evidenced by the quote, I was responding to the false assertion that Drug Dealing is a Victim-less crime which it is not.

Treatment is the answer, along with stopping the import of things like Cocaine and Heroine. The line between casual use and addiction is a very thin line. I agree that locking up users is ludacrous. People who deal to children however, shoot them and I mean that.

Children who use drugs while in school, you are ruining your life and future. Period, end of subject. Wise up.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
boy and all this time i thought i was not "stupid"!!!!I'll admit our cencorship is getting to be a problem but you could always go live in zimbawbwa right now or hey how bout iraq, iran, n.korea and countless others i mean why would you want to live with all these stupid people lol how ignorant

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

i woudn't trade places either. i have stated this before in reply to all the "well move somewhere else" posts, even if i weren't so financially strapped and COULD move elsewhere, i am well aware that there aren't many places to go that are better off.

something else i have stated, i don't see this as just an american problem, but a problem that involves the world.. but i am an american and therefore, the fixing of any problem must start in one's own backyard.

i am just feeling distressed bc i don't know what to do on my own. other than coming on here, studying, and the times that i get into discussions w/ friends and family on it, i DO live a very healthy, happy, normal life. i have learned to seperate these issues from the times i spend w/ my sons; but soon, should we continue this way, it will become harder and harder to seperate my life from these issues.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

This is one piece of advice I would give to anyone stepping on to this site for the first time.

Do not place the weight of the world squarely on your shoulders.

I find it easy to get down and start feeling helpless when confronted with a lot of the realities of life. But then I realize that I didn't cause all of these problems, therefore it aint up to me to solve all of them either.

There is enough misery and depression out there in the world to bring down an elephant, and if you choose to partake and wallow in it long enough it will distort your outlook on life and take away from you that which is really important.

Raise your kids with love, be happy about the things that you DO have, take time to appreciate the small and the simple things. And most importantly, relax. It's only life, we all go through it.

Enjoy yourself while you can, time goes by before you know it.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Having read thru most of this thread, I have to laugh at some of you, "like it or leave it" "make a change", and my fav, "Don't like it, vote differently", I'm currently homeless, and writing this from a public library on my OWN laptop, I've just spent 5 hours (today) filling out job apps, then if I get an interview, I still have to get a drug screen/physical depending on who offers me a Job. My last employer, failed to pay me for 3 months, not because of work, but because he was greedy, I should take him to court I guess, anyone got a few hundred $$ to loan me? I didn't think so. What "rights" have been taken away from me? how about getting a Job by Merit? Not by how well you pass a drug screen, or the color of your skin!!!!

My wife and I live in Texas, we went to get my wife a drivers license, and had a "Non English" speaking person ahead of us, it was female, with no pictured ID, no birth certificate, and no green card or social security card, it took 3 minutes for her to get her license, it took my wife 35 minutes and a trip back to the place we are staying ( to get 15 year old divorce papers ) plus an expired ID and birth certificateand social security card and our marriage license, It's so Great to be a citizen of the Good 'ol USA.

I was a Marine, and went around the world 3 times, I've seen what the world is like (and this was during peace time). You cannot walk into even a Mom and Pop store and get a job in less than a week, 25 years ago all it took was a handshake and a willingness to work, aint technology Grand????

Those of you that say we should leave if we don't like it would have been called "Tories" back in 1776, I know for most this is an obscure reference, so look it up, for some of you I'm sure it fits.

I love my Country and will defend it to the death, that doesn't mean I approve of the current administration or the past 6 or 7. we are about 35 years past overdue for a armed revolt. I have a feeling it will happen before another 35 years pass.

Just one question I have, why is the private sector REQUIRED to screen for drugs, but to hold public office it's an invasion of privacy??????? Is it not the publics right to know whom is on crack on Capital Hill...........Makes ya wonder how high the guy is with his finger on the Nuclear trigger

[edit on 26-6-2008 by thedigirati]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

What is right is often forgotten by what is convenient. ~Bodie Thoene

"But what do we mean by the American Revolution? Do we mean the American war? The Revolution was effected before the war commenced. The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution."
~ john adams (wonder if men like this were told to "relax", at least it isn't as bad as *fill in the blank* well, let's just all be thankful and show our appreciation for what they did by trading the future of our children for the comforts of today as currently offered by those "above us". wow, i can see how that makes sense
)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Fair enough. Keep on beating your head against the proverbial wall if it makes you feel any better.

Just trying to help

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Again, as evidenced by the quote, I was responding to the false assertion that Drug Dealing is a Victim-less crime which it is not.

Treatment is the answer, along with stopping the import of things like Cocaine and Heroine. The line between casual use and addiction is a very thin line. I agree that locking up users is ludacrous. People who deal to children however, shoot them and I mean that.

Children who use drugs while in school, you are ruining your life and future. Period, end of subject. Wise up.

It is in fact a victimless crime. People who choose to victimize themselves are the irresponsible ones. Much like alcohol, only retards destroy their lives through irresponsible drinking.

Should something be completely banned because some people are irresponsible? No.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bugs_n_recovery

Just out of curiosity, is "zimbawbwa" a new country, as in it was just formed today? Or were you referring to Zimbabwe?

Let me guess, public school student?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
hey if your that pis*ed off come over to the UK, but you should 1st make sure your the rite class of person upper class seems to be the one where you can live a more than decent life without a surveillance camera in your face 24 7! i know the us has changed a lot since 911 and believe me they pass papers thru our government in the middle of the night and we to give up more of our privileges in the name of national security, at the end of the day if you were not born into money it can be crap here to, but life is what you make it, but i to feel the UK has changed especially when it comes to illeagal immigrants entering our country the minimum wage i could go on but i wont. now if your from the UK and disagree go ahead tell me its rubbish but its MY view.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Ok fair enough. I'll agree that no crime is victimless, and I'll tell you why...

Because everytime someone commits a crime as deemed by "law" (usually ones we had no hand in writing or the ability in stopping), everyone else has to pay for it out of their pockets.

Who is going to pay for this treatment you see as a solution?
Because I'm not. I already know the game. It helps nothing.

And no emotional heartfelt TV program on the family channel is going to change my mind. I don't care. I am too busy keeping accountable for my own business and my own family.

If everyone else would do the same, there would be no victims.

The fact that drugs are regulated leads to far more victims than the people who die from taking them in the form of gang violence, car chases, shootouts, robberies, and all kinds of other crap.

If they were legal, drugs would lose their profitability and there would be far less victims.

So you see the solution is NO TREATMENT AT ALL.

If the smuggler couldn't get payed 20k for packing a kilo up their ass and flying here from colombia, there wouldn't be half the problems we have now as a result of the beurocracy you are supporting. I refer to the whole army of DEA agents, "treatment centers", cops and all this other crap who are all in on the same game.

And the same goes for every one of the other "solutions" for all the other "problems" in america...and getting back on topic, this is why this place sucks as bad as it does now and why I agree with the OP.

It's becauseIam supposed to be held accountable for the actions of my a-hole president, the irresponsible junkie down the street who needs "treatment", and the award from the court issued to the black kid that the white cop unlawfully beat the hell out of whose salary we also pay. no.

So you see, if you take the victims out of the picture...you know, the ones who are expected to pay for all of this, all you have left are the people who lack accountability for themselves, and I could care less about them.
let 'em rot!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lightyears

Originally posted by lightyears
They claim to protect freedom, but when somebody use that freedom to criticize the president and his war, she immediately is banned from radio stations, she receives dead threats, her entire career is destroyed and she is basically not welcome any more in her own country. Just because she uses her freedom of speech. There are many examples, but the Dixie Chicks controversy is a good example of this.

And not a single one of those sanctions against the Dipsy Chicks are a LAW. They are all personal choices made by private individuals.

Originally posted by lightyears
What kind of freedom is it they claim to protect ???

The right of the Dipsy's to suicide their career, and the right of the public to pass judgement on them.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Drug laws need to have the input of ex drug addicts.

I read your reply Blaine and I agree with what you have said but putting these guys in jail turns them into better criminals. Some of them may have more to contribute to the human race which, if allowed to, may be of great help to all.

I have seen and I know many persons who have had the world by the tail but they took on a monkey.

Meth is about the worst I have seen. For a few years in my life almost everybody I knew was addicted to Meth. It was freaky...I felt like I was living with zombiies who never slept. I never tried it...Thank God. I got one of my old ladys to quit after 2 drug rehabs, three jail terms...etc etc.

If you read the above I need to repeat the line again. Just one is clean.

The rest are lost. I have never met a heroin addict or a meth addict who could maintain. To be able to maintain is a myth.

Meth, crack, coke, heroin or any of the kin are friends of hell. (metaphor)

At the same time I believe we have yet to tap into some of the benifits of THC (mary), Peyote, '___' etc. These need to be brought into a lab setting as Shulgin and Groff have done....PHD's with a bone for the psychedelic.
Dr. Humphrey Osmond from Weyburn Saskatchewan barely sratched the surface of the benifits.

Psychedelic; Osmond coined the term in a poem to Huxley in the late 1950's.

Shulgin still does some of the best work although Groff is well respected.

Leary, Todd Skinner and Picard all got a little crazy with the idea, scaring all of America in the process. (Picard may have been framed)

The elder Dr. Skinner is retired all together, having become very paranoid, yet not in leu of his famous underground work. He is freaked because he was betrayed. He no longer trusts anybody...not even me.

To conclude this weird rant I must stress that all Pyschedelic's must be used strictly in the frame work of the law.

Slackerwire, I understand how bummed it is to live in the land of the free as a slave. E.W. Kenyon wrote a little upon this stating that all persons have been subjected to the tyrany of some form of religion causing great harm to our psyche. We are assumed GUILTY from birth.

He postulated that the message that Christ (and if not Christ choose something, I am sure God does not give a hoot) gave us was freedom from "sin consciousness". That is from the idea that you are under some form of "guilt"...you act from a "guilt" perspective and not from the perspective of a free person.

In order to be free Kenyon brought the idea forward that all men are freed by simply realizing that they are free. This was an idea brought about in the Pauline revelation. It resembles a Bhuddist perspective.

You are free...so now act free was St. Paul's thrust. This is a message hidden from us by the powerful church organizations in this world. You are a free person....act on it. But do not use your freedom to bind yourself in chains. Do not use your freedom to use coc aine. It will steal your freedom. You are to use your freedom simply to allow yourself to continue to be free.

The United Stated of America is one of the best nations in the world to exercise your rights given to you by God to pursue happiness, liberty and knowledge.

Don't trust me on this; get yourself a ticket to someplace in Central America and get off the beaten track with the people. Soon you will be dreaming about the USA. It is a very, very good country. A few problems but still a very good country.

Just a side note...if Jesus Christ were to walk the USA today I am sure they would hang him high as an example to all. Pat Robertson would be one of the first in line to view the hanging! IMO

[edit on 26-6-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire
reply to post by bugs_n_recovery

Just out of curiosity, is "zimbawbwa" a new country, as in it was just formed today? Or were you referring to Zimbabwe?

Let me guess, public school student?

Duh...erm...uhhh...I believe the solution to this is education!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
You know, things are a bit crazy right now... but it's just the cycle opf things. Kind of is truely beat that the last 20-30 years has seen so much cash sold out from under us... but what can we do? get mad?

Go invade switzerland and ask for the money back... lol

We have to be good and work our butts off, it's just demographics and money, you know? Allot of older Americans are scared, everyone wants and expects the life our parents and grandparents had or in the latter case built...

and it might for the next ten years take 2 jobs to get it/have it... but we at least can.

I think we are all a bit overstimulated anyway, sex, food, money, hard work and toning it down won't kill anyone.

You know rfid, gps, phone taps... lol, if your not a terrorist or drug dealer none of this will ever affect you.. it's harder, to be so "accountable" cash is tracked... credit does follow you, so you need cash, 2 jobs to uplift and that sucks, but even at 8.00 an hr working at fast food, 2 jobs 16 hrs a day five days a week... you can have the money you need to do something better, doesn't take very long either...a year? maybe?

It's just hard to have video games and tv and cable and internet and night clubs and so much to do... and limit yourself, I have trouble doing it, everyone does...

The thing to remember is, when the hard work is done, it will all be there to be enjoyed

Really it has never been eaiser to start a business...a domain name is 8.00 and hosting is another 8.00 every month... so do you even need 2 jobs? Just for the first few months... until you have any extra cash at all for your interests...

There are so many niches to fill with 2 Billion people on the net... 500 people paying 10.00 a month is 5,000 extra every month... and a life again...

I thnk honestly this is all not so different then when the wolrd switched from agriculture to industry over a century ago... civil wars, conflicts, cultural battles...

I just go with the future and don't worry about the past and work hard during the present o survive it the best I can...

Lets face it, allot of people can't handle the net, it has invaded the middle east and drawn attention to cultural issues particularly in regards to women and lifestyle...we all became neighbors, opening a "traditional" business... a store rnt wise, it's changed, it's a hard thing to do now... the jobs that pay are all tech driven so the divide is raw and allot of people find themselves sol

all we can do is buck up, and adapt... this really is a very good time to prosper, it's all how you choose to see the world ...the cup thing... half full or half empty...

A real estatee colapse is Good, if your work hard to buy and stay atop your credit the next two years right? Jobs are tough and pay is low... so work more and look at money differently, if your nail it for 2 years now and get a 1/2 million dollar house for 200,000 you didn't just make 700.00 a wek you saved 300 G in that time frame...

again it's all how you choose to look at it...

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join