It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush To Filipino President: "I Am Reminded Of Our Philippine-Americans When I Eat Dinner"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Bush To Filipino President: "I Am Reminded Of Our Philippine-Americans When I Eat Dinner"

www.huffingtonpost.com

President Bush met with Filipino President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo today at the White House. Arroyo was in Washington while her country tries to recover from a typhoon that devastated coastal areas and flipped a ferry carrying over 800 passengers last week. Before discussing aide for the Philippines, Bush couldn't resist beginning the sober meeting with a quip about a Filipino member of his kitchen staff.

PRESIDENT BUSH: Madam President, it is a pleasure to welcome you back to the Oval Office. We have just had a very constructive dialogue. First, I want to tell you how proud I am to be the President of a nation that -- in which there's a lot of Philippine-Americans. They love America and they love their heritage. And I reminded the President that I am reminded of the great talent of the -- of our Philippine-Americans when I eat dinner at the White House.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Not only is he an idiot who cannot string two words together without making a mistake, he's a social embarrassment as well.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
One wonders if it is all an act to buy him plausible deniability once he starts being charged with war-crimes and crimes against humanity.

He was not always so relentlessly moronic.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
You are right about that. I really believe something has happened to that man and I am not saying that to bushwhack him... he's had a stroke or an anurism or something.

Watch his debates with Ann Richards... he was clear, articulate and made a solid argument without any fumbling for words or mistakes.

Then there is everything else since... well I am not sure when it started but his language skills have considerably dropped.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
They had a show on CNN (Investigations, I think) and it was all about the medical conditions of the Presidents while in charge.

Although it was CNN, it was good show.

Some of the proposed medical conditions certainly brought up some possible answers to some decisions that were made. ( all speculation of course)

They also said something to the effect of it being very tight lipped when it comes to any ailments that may plague the presidents.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I am waiting for him to start drooling on himself. Better yet drooling on cheney.

Mode edit for decorum.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 26-6-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Dear God, grover, maybe there has been no impeachment and trial, because they would find he's incompetent to stand trial
Of course, they could try the insanity defense, but that doesn't look good either. I finally have to say it, what a blathering idiot!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
IMO, the most likely thing here is that our President is usually high on coc aine. I am sure he has a powerful addiction and it explains a lot about his behavior.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Comments: Cocaine is a highly addictive substance, gives you delusions of grandeur and over-confidence, muddles your thinking. We fairly know that he used it in the past. Maybe he continues to use it today.

Who can doubt that the President, if so motivated, would have no trouble getting endless personal supplies of coc aine whenever he wanted it? Who can doubt that it would be fairly simple to keep this a secret from the public, and even from close associates?

It's not like the President has to worry about people going through his desk drawers, or searching his bags at the airport.

He may not be the first USA President to be addicted to coc aine, either.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Why is this bad?

Look at the first paragraph. He has a Filipino member on his
kitchen staff. Maybe the cook makes him some filipino food or adds
some filipino touch to his meals that remind him of the Philippine people.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by josephine
Why is this bad? Look at the first paragraph. He has a Filipino member on his kitchen staff. Maybe the cook makes him some filipino food or adds some filipino touch to his meals that remind him of the Philippine people.

That may be true. If he was on the ball, Bush could have leveraged his statement into some sort of personal commentary that would have shown his common touch, appreciation for culinary arts, all jobs are important, etc. That would have been cool. (If you read the article, you can see he started down that path, but didn't quite make it.)

It ended up as a highly garbled thought, not articulated at all, and very patronizing. It didn't make proper sense in any context you would expect, given a meeting at the highest levels, between two governments.

If this was at a dinner, rather than an Oval Office meeting -- it would have definitely been more appropriate. That doesn't appear to be the case.

The obvious implication Bush made: the major association he has with Filipinos is that they cook his food -- they serve him his meals. Not very flattering.

However, your point is well made, Josephine. I think it is the combination of these types of statements that make people wonder -- not just a single isolated statement that could be easily forgiven and / or taken out of context.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

The fact is Bush was treated for Lyme disease, which is prevalent in the east coast. Lyme disease can cause dementia and is possibly related to Alzheimers, Parkinsons and MS.

Bush Treated for Lyme Disease

Since the standard 10 day antiobiotic treatment often fails for late stage Lyme disease, thanks to the malfeasance of the insurance companies and their allies in medicine, I would have to assume he still suffers from the ailment. No doubt he continues to deteriorate. It's a nasty disease.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
If I heard correctly a minute ago, there are plans in San Francisco to name a sewage treatment plant after George W. Bush.

That seemed very appropriate.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Well, seems like he's always getting himself into a "**SNIP**" situation.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by Crakeur]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by josephine

Why is it bad? Its more tacky or bad form than anything else. It really shows a considerable disconnect from social norms and politic.

Do you ask a black guest to serve you dinner? Or tell them what great slaves their ancestors were?

Same sort of thing.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

From the article....

"I wouldn't expect any problem at all for the president," said Gary Wormser, chief of infectious diseases at New York Medical College and an expert on Lyme disease. "He won't be impacted by this infection in the future."

The article also states that it was probably STARI, common in the Texas area, whereas Texas has never had a documented case of LYME disease.

This is very similar to Lyme Disease, but without any long term effects.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This is a new low for ATS.

President Bush greets the Filipino president and speaks favorably of the Filipino-Americans and that, since his chef is Filipino, every time he eats he is reminded of the special relationship between America and the Philippines.

What's wrong with that? Why does that make Bush a moron?

Where's the connection of such a statement with grounds for impeachment?

The culinary professions are honorable ones and the chef of the White House is a prestigious position, maybe the most prestigious in America.

I recently worked in a restaurant in which we had two Filipinos and each time I went to work I was reminded that the Filipinos are such hard workers that they don't have time to be making the streets unsafe to travel or to be always moaning and groaning about how evil America is or how stupid the president is.

You might also note that for about a hundred years, Filipinos have been world renowned for the quality of their nurses who serve all over the world and especially in America.

If the president had a Filipino nurse on his medical staff, would it have been wrong for him to note that every time he goes to the infirmary he is reminded of the hard work, dedication, and expertise of Filipino-Americans in the field of nursing and the special relationship between the Philippines and the US?

www.philippinenursesmonitor.com...

Are you even knowledgeable about the relationship between the Philippines and the US?

en.wikipedia.org...

Despite the sometimes rocky politics between the the Philippines and the US, Filipinos and Americans share a rich heritage and owe each other very much.

Microsoft has several customer service facilities in the Philippines. Every time I call MSN customer service and find myself speaking to a polite and knowledgeable Filipino who is fluent in English and who can troubleshoot my software problems expeditiously, I am reminded of the special relationship between America and the Philippines.

Is that wrong?

Regardless, the transcript makes it plain that the president was being somewhat facetious in his statement, a distinction that was not lost on the audience. It was a light moment in an otherwise serious visit. You don't see Filipino-Americans running rampant in the streets destroying neighborhoods and killing innocent people, do you?

PRESIDENT BUSH: Madam President, it is a pleasure to welcome you back to the Oval Office. We have just had a very constructive dialogue. First, I want to tell you how proud I am to be the President of a nation that -- in which there's a lot of Philippine-Americans. They love America and they love their heritage. And I reminded the President that I am reminded of the great talent of the -- of our Philippine-Americans when I eat dinner at the White House. (Laughter.)

PRESIDENT ARROYO: Yes.

PRESIDENT BUSH: And the chef is a great person and a really good cook, by the way, Madam President.

PRESIDENT ARROYO: Thank you.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I've seen the facts twisted on ATS a lot of times, but this ranks among the basest and most flagrant flouting of the facts that I have ever seen.

The president may not be as smart as grover, but he does have a better sense of humor.

[edit on 2008/6/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The Phillippines have or had a special relationship with the American military... I don't know if it's still true but for years they could enlist in the Coast Guard and Navy but as cooks only.

Grady... bush minor could also have said he admired their courage and fortitude in the face of this disaster or the strength of their commitment to Democratic principles as shown by their overthrow of Marcos.

Both would have been accurate and both would have been far more politic. I was a cook and cooking after all, no matter the race or nationality is a servitude position.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

You will find more of the transcript of the meeting here:

www.whitehouse.gov...

The real story here is that the Philippines needs aid and the US will be providing aid following a devastating typhoon.

First, I expressed our deep condolences to those who suffered as a result of the typhoon. And I know there's some families that are hurting. Some are wondering whether or not their loved ones will, you know, reappear. We, the American people care about the human suffering that's taking place, and we send our prayers.

Secondly, I informed the President -- Secretary Gates informed the President, through me, that the United States will move the USS Ronald Reagan, a large aircraft carrier, to help with the assistance, along with other U.S. Navy assets. We're happy to do it. We want to help our friends in a time of need.

We talked about, you know, food, and I assured the President we'll continue to help. We helped with rice in the past. And, you know, I'm proud of my country. We give a lot of food aid, and this is a time where America needs to step up, and we will, Madam President.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Isn't this the real news associated with the visit of the President of the Philippines?

Note what President Arroyo had to say:

PRESIDENT ARROYO: Thank you, thank you. Mr. President, with your permission, I'd like to address our countrymen in my own native language.

(Speaks in Tagalog. Translation provided by the State Department.) Fellow countrymen, America is a strong ally in supporting our efforts to strengthen our economy and reinforce our democracy. The Philippines and the United States have a strong relationship, and we are here today to discuss important bilateral issues with President Bush, members of his administration, and congressional leaders. As President Bush mentioned, we will focus our discussions, now more than ever, on food shortages, defense cooperation, and economic aid. Together with our friends, such as America, let us join forces and move our country forward towards the company of first world developed nations over the next 20 years.

Long live the Philippines, and long live the friendship between the Philippines and the United States.

PRESIDENT BUSH: I couldn't have said it better myself. (Laughter.)

www.whitehouse.gov...

How in the world were the real issues of compassion and alliance in the cause of peace and progress completely overshadowed by one humorous remark?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I was a cook and cooking after all, no matter the race or nationality is a servitude position.

The President of the United States is a public servant.

Have you not heard that there is no greater calling than to be of service to others?

Is a nurse not a servant?

Is an MD not a servant?

Is a Congressman not a servant?

Is a Marine not a servant?

If you are/were a cook, then surely you must know that a chef is the chief of the kitchen and while he may serve others, he is a trained professional with many responsibilities relating to both food and staff.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
You are willfully refusing to see how this comment was impolitic at best.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join