It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation found to increase brain size

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
oh noes... I tried to do the meditations to make my brain grow... and now I am very sad, at first it seemed to be going okay but then the phone rang and startled me... and I blew up the whole house, the windows shattered and all the glasses broke and the pipes are shooting water everywhere and my cat fluffy is missing and the walls are all cracked up in pieces and stuff and my tv is broke... I'm outside on my laptop and I hear the police sirens what do I do?

Seriously meditation is great, it has helped me overcome some of the more difficult times in my life, Great Thread

[edit on 27-6-2008 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

hahaa - I agree....I wish I could also sit down and just do it....got kids, dont have time but maybe I should make time.....its one of those....your mates go to the pub, they ask you if your coming.....and you say..gimme an hour to meditate and I'll be down....doesnt seems right...to do this I think you need to take some proper time out and experience it and if it works...great...changed life starts....

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Yes, it's true. Meditation does make your brain grow...

...fatter.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Does staring at your big toe and drooling on yourself count? If so my brain is huge.

According to a Nagual technique, focusing on a fixed point and everything in your peripheral vision at the same time helps stop the internal dialogue that we constantly experience, so you may have something there!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I've meditated off and on for a few year, more off though. Lately have been more motivated. I have chronic fatigue syndrom, and spend most of the year sick, as it does a number on your immune system, not to mention headaches. I can't take my kids out like most moms, and have to plan up for weeks to do the playground, because too many outings make me break down and get sick for weeks again, and then we all catch it from each other and recycle for a while. I've tried greens plus, numerous supplements, and have a list of some more to try when I can afford them. Yesterday my headache was bad and I laid down expecting to fall asleep which is usually the only thing that takes a headache away. Instead I spent over an hour meditating. It was wonderful. My kids interrupted a few times, but I just kept returning. I felt the normal ringing and buzz, but this time it felt like my whole body was vibrating, and shifting somehow. Of course I kept trying to lift my spirit hand out and tried for an obe but had to give up.
My headche was gone, completely and I felt a little better, noticed the dishes and did them late!
I will start to meditate every day.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by carole9999

Moving meditation is deemed superior to seated meditation and the only way I know of stopping the internal dialog reliably is intensive physical exercise.

Back on the topic of things increasing brain size, there's evidence that doing Judo also increases gray matter:

See page 3:
(I find these paragraphs interesting

"His findings might merely be interesting were it not for another research project reported last year in Brazil. Neuroscientist Wantuir Jacini, of the University of Campinas, conducted a groundbreaking study in which he compared brain scans of judo experts, marathon runners, and nonactive controls. Scientists in his field have known for a decade or so that, in rodents, running dramatically enhances brain plasticity (the ability of neurons to form new connections in response to a stimulus). This is the basic biological mechanism for how we learn.

Jacini, however, was interested in the effect of more complex exercise, and since you can't teach rats judo, he took 170 MRIs of each of his four dozen human subjects. The scans revealed that the judo players have significantly more gray matter, and the implications are huge. "The principle is that the practice of judo stimulates certain areas of the brain that are responsible for concentration, working memory, and motor movements," says Jacini. "In these areas we have more connections, and that's good because the cells become more efficient." Now he's working on proving that the beefier areas actually translate to better brain function."

So there seems to be ample evidence that learning complex movements like juggling, as well as vigorous exercise like jogging and judo can at least temporarily increase gray matter.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chonx
Wow.

Meditation actually encourages certain parts of the human brain to grow.

I find the fact that the part of the brain responsible for sensory input processing grows larger from meditation very interesting. Just need some time to reflect on this and its implications.

www.physorg.com...

[edit on 25-6-2008 by Chonx]

This is intresting. Of course it could be related that it grows because medidation stimulates certain parts of the brain and therefore they become more stronger so to speak.

Originally posted by leapoffaith
This is fascinating, thank you for posting this.
On an energy level I know there is increased activity in the 6th (third eye) chakra when people meditate. Energy precedes matter, so I wonder if this thickened part is the part of the brain which corresponds to the 6th chakra.

Can anyone tell me, I don't see any pictures in the link.

The socalled Third Eye is more asociated with a specific don't know the english word for it klier, or organ that sits there.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightWulf

Originally posted by Chonx
Wow.

Meditation actually encourages certain parts of the human brain to grow.

I find the fact that the part of the brain responsible for sensory input processing grows larger from meditation very interesting. Just need some time to reflect on this and its implications.

www.physorg.com...

[edit on 25-6-2008 by Chonx]

This is intresting. Of course it could be related that it grows because medidation stimulates certain parts of the brain and therefore they become more stronger so to speak.

Originally posted by leapoffaith
This is fascinating, thank you for posting this.
On an energy level I know there is increased activity in the 6th (third eye) chakra when people meditate. Energy precedes matter, so I wonder if this thickened part is the part of the brain which corresponds to the 6th chakra.

Can anyone tell me, I don't see any pictures in the link.

The socalled Third Eye is more asociated with a specific don't know the english word for it klier, or organ that sits there.

Pineal gland. Or pituitary? I guess theres a male and female counter-part.

Yes I believe there is quite a link with meditation and the physical body, but for me I define physical completely different. Some people think of physical like flesh.. matter... REAL.. I see it as molecules, which i see as atoms.. and then particles and sub-atomic particles, simple energy patterns, intelligently formed, right down to wavelengths / a binary perception. I don't debate science completely, in fact I like it quite a bit, and use it in my explanations, but what i'm saying is... i see these glands and organs associated with "chakras" or energy centers (if matter is energy, then we are bodies of energy).. I see such things as patterns of energy, not limited to any confined form, reaching out like a radio waves on all sorts of subliminal levels. A freind of mine was saying something like the pineal gland has rods and cones like an eye? Very interesting indeed.

What i'm also trying to say though is i'm not yet convinced the brain is where thought originates from. I think of it more as a reciever, and by no means do I look at the human body as a simple vehicle for thinking. I see it as beautiful expression of thought, a perfect design, it just depends on how you use it.

The physical body and meditation are linked, but again, I don't really feel like my body is a seperate entity, it just appears that way in this perspective. A school of fish moves in flawless syncronicity, I think they are picking up on something there.

Meditation, does it expand the brain? Well I think we are feeding the energy mass called the brain a big load of energy patterns that it needs to sort, i could see it responding in such a way. From my experiences, I lose more of this sense of seperation by the day.

I'll just stop here for now, I could go on.. glands? YES! I do think they have their purpose, they are intelligently formed energy configurations. My third eye is expressed physically as a pineal/pituitary gland!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join