It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Trek Enterprise May Have Nacelles That... ($SPOILER$: ST:XI)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I have a friend who works for ILM and he says he has seen designs for the new Enterprise which he says will be similar to the TOS version but will be a bit more clunky but it will have an important difference in that the nacelles which are on the supporting struts will:-

SPOILER ALERT !

be rotatable at the point where thay are attached to the supporting strut.

be rotatable at the point where thay are attached to the supporting strut at the top end.

This means we will have vectoring impulse/warp nacelles.
I have done a study of this using a cone as a secondary hull and 4 pens acting as strut and nacelle and the advantage seems to be in higher maneuverability as by turning the nozzles at intermediate angles you can make them point partially down/up and also you can make one nacelle point forwards and be able to do very sharp turns and also very quick braking by pointing both forwards.

You can do simulation yourself or someone can do a photoshop so you can get a better idea.
The advantages seem to give a huge increase in maneuverability as the nacelles when they rotate on the struts move in 2 planes at the same time horizontal and vertical as the struts are in a v shaped angle.

You may remember Voyager having movable nacelles,but as this is a less advanced ship the nacelles can move a lot more than just up/down.

I did all you a favour by sharing information.

My friend says ILM are happy for him to unoffically share the info to wet people's appetites and to create a buzz but he is forbidden from giving actual shots,in others words he can discuss it in general terms and he got permission before blabbing about it.

Voyagers was more advanced and did not need rotating nacelles.This early Enterprise is less advanced and needs vectoring nacelles for higher maneuvering ability.It do's not have fancy fields but is more of a mechanical beast.
In this ship the impulse engines are integrated into the nacelles and you will see a red glow.

Did anyone try the simulation using the 4 pens and a cone for the secondary hull?

If you did then you will find it highly logical in much the same way that you have vectoring nozzles on the JSF,
higher maneuverability or that Russian plane I cant remember the name of.The Harrier is another example which can use vectored thrust for higher maneuverability in combat by braking suddenly when having the enemy on the tail,letting it overshoot then firing missiles at the enemies tail,etc,etc.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Sounds interesting, but they're going to really upset the fan base. The movie is supposed to take place prior to TOS. The Enterprise had no such thing at that time, nor did it ever in any of the subsequent incarnations. The fans are going to protest.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by esecallum

Did anyone try the simulation using the 4 pens and a cone for the secondary hull?

Ummm... no. You see, I came out of my mom's basement the other day and guess what?

I found that there's a whole planet right here to explore with a whole new species called "girls" to get to know.

And you know what? They're much more interesting than a silly make believe TV show/movie or anything you have to say about your little Star Trek fetish.

Get a life bud... or maybe you can simulate one with some crayons or something.

Sheesh!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Seems dumb to me. Now they're going to have to explain why this tech has gone obsolete on subsequent Enterprises.

Also, I didn't think that actual thrust came out the back of the nacelles. I thought they just created the warp field around the ship. I'm no Star Trek geek, that's for sure, so I could be wrong.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
That's how it was up and until Nemesis (:puke
when they showed the Romulan ship's impulse engines actually expelling flame and rotating and stuff.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
the warp nacelles are just supposed to create the warp field with the impulse engines still providing the thrust that moves the ship through the field. vectoring on the impulse engines would make a lot of sense for this kind of idea to work.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Yeah, the warp engines create the warp field - they don't create the actual thrust. This new thing makes NO sense. The beauty of that original idea for the warp drive is that it somehow "smelled right" in spite of the fact that it was so hypothetical.

Abram's seems to be really weak on design. Look at his monster in "Cloverfield". In the extras section of the DVD you can hear him boasting about it - he thinks he's done a great job.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

As this film is a timeline film, I suspect that this technology, as well as the ship's clunky design, will return to a morel normal TOS version by the end of the film.

Remember, the Romulans are trying to alter the timeline. No doubt there will be various alternate timelines in this films.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

As I revealed to you in an earlier post the reason for the nacelles and the support pylons being like this is as i explained before.

EXCLUSIVE NEWS REVEALED !

I work for ILM.

The reason for the nacelles and the support struts is that the nacelles rotate to alter the direction of the impulse engines which are housed inside the nacelles.

In other words the nacelles vector the thrust from the impulse engines.

This is why they are quite solid and much more robust or lumpy at the connecting points to the pylons as this houses the pivot mechanism which rotates the nacelles.

I can reveal that a red shirt will get killed as he tries to repair a stuck pivot mechanism on one of the nacelles.I can even give you a part of the script.

I hope this explains the nacelles and why the saucer is further back,this is to balance the thrust through the center of gravity of the ship thrust and make it look balanced when the nacelles vector the thrust.

I hope this clears the confusion.

If you have any other questions let me know and I will answer them.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
If it brings back the NCC 1701 i'm happy with whatever dress or makeup she's wearing, in the end she will still be a Consisitution Class Starship with the name Enterprise

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by dalek

If you pause the new trailer you will see that the nacelles house the impulse engines as they glow white hot at the ends with plasma.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum
I can reveal that a red shirt will get killed...

What? A red shirt gets killed? This would be unprecedented in the history of Trek.

new topics

top topics

join