It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jean Luc Picard blames film industry for violence against women

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
He said the film industry had much to be ashamed of in its portrayal of women. "It's a lazy and sensationalist approach. I condemn it entirely.

"The entertainment industry has to be super-watchful over this."

"Stewart, who played Capt Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek, came close to tears at times when he talked of his experiences as a child.

He said he had been degraded as he heard and watched his father's descent into alcohol-fuelled violence against his mother, and disgusted as the people around them turned a blind eye."

I guess Buster Keaton was responsible for that.

Seems Hollywood is responsible for everything but good movies

www.telegraph.co.uk...;$sessionid$WX3CKPFZZRDPLQFIQMFCFF4AVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2004/03/06/ntrek06.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/03/06/ixhome .html

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by deevee]

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This kinda crap always makes me laugh.

Its just ANOTHER way for people to try to escape responsabilty for their actions.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I blame Jean Luc Picard for violence agains the Borg.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I blame Jean Luc Picard for violence agains the Borg.

LMAO!!! Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

This kind of statement from celebrities, politicians e.t.c. always make me laugh. It's just another attempt to pass the buck. No one is going to watch a movie where a woman is beat up or whatever, and then go home and do it.

However, if someone was already like that and a film gave them the idea to do it, then there's not much that can be done about that.
If the film never gave them the idea then something else would, you can't stop bastards from being bastards.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I don't get his motivation for this. Does he have a book coming out or something? This happened 40-50 years ago. We've come a long way. I'm tired of "sins of the father" so to speak. I don't beat women, I'm not prejudgist against anyone, I don't condemn gays, but I do raise my kids to have these values as well. When am I going to hear the end of it?

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
This kinda crap always makes me laugh.

Its just ANOTHER way for people to try to escape responsabilty for their actions.

Sounds about right, AMUK. People can see something in a film, however, once they make the choice to do what they see in their real life, it is their responsibility. You can't blame a movie for the choice a person makes.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
This is the same sort of crap that people go on about with video games. Because you can fire a weapon in Grand Theft Auto you know how to load, cock, aim and fire an automatic weapon. Then you will go out and murder some babies.

Its junk. Men have been beating their wives ever since marriage was concieved.

But, any movie that glorifies bashing women...well, the director should be shot.

join