It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen arrested for 'blasphemous T-shirt'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The States has SUCH an issue with the c word. My ex despised it, so much but hey, she turned out to be what she hates the most...

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Absolutely unbeleivable... WHERE IS THE LINE DRAWN????? This has nothing to do with decency or demeanor. A boy got arrested for wearing a t shirt??? B.S. It doesnt matter weather its offensive or not, its our right as americans to dress how we want, say what we want, and support whichever band we choose to support. Offensivness has nothing to do with this because offensivness is all in the eyes of the beholder.. what i find offensive some one else may not and vice a versa.

Arresting a 16 year old for a t-shirt is a blatant abuse of power. When will the censorship end??? Is the right wing CHRISTIAN INFLUENCE so strong that we can now press charges on people for wearing a t-shirt that some one finds offensive???? Total effing bull.... This thread has pissed me off.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
Well cradle of filth does suck horribly ;p
yes they do,just listening to their music should be a crime,much less buying their merchandise,and if you are one who says if you dont like the shirt then dont read it or look at it,i would advise you to not read my post as you dont seem to have any decency at all...

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
Absolutely unbeleivable... WHERE IS THE LINE DRAWN????? This has nothing to do with decency or demeanor. A boy got arrested for wearing a t shirt??? B.S. It doesnt matter weather its offensive or not, its our right as americans to dress how we want, say what we want, and support whichever band we choose to support. Offensivness has nothing to do with this because offensivness is all in the eyes of the beholder.. what i find offensive some one else may not and vice a versa.

Arresting a 16 year old for a t-shirt is a blatant abuse of power. When will the censorship end??? Is the right wing CHRISTIAN INFLUENCE so strong that we can now press charges on people for wearing a t-shirt that some one finds offensive???? Total effing bull.... This thread has pissed me off.
there have been other examples such as walking down the street naked,would you be arrested,yes you would.is that infriging on your rights.no...same thing here,as stated before in civilization we must use some courtesy.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
two of my favourite things on one shirt! awesome.

i like the nun. hot.

someone arrest that dog.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
No offense to Catholics but consider:

If a Catholic Priest molests young boys, what do they do? They quietly hush it up, enabling the behavior, and move him to another parish, and though he admits it, they do nothing.

But if one of the boys he molested was found wearing a T-Shirt saying: Father XYZ likes to put it up the [sordid phrase omitted], they'd arrest the kid.

Really makes a lot of sense.

People don't like their sacred cows messed with and will shoot anyone who tries.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
This is all I have to respond with.

This is my favorite shirt! ^_^

Mod Edit:

1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.

Please Review the Terms and Conditions

[edit on 25-6-2008 by MemoryShock]
Image with profanity removed. You're welcome to repost the image with the profanity censored. Thanks.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
if freedom of speech is conducted without responsibility, than it no longer is a freedom achieved but a tool to be abused, for ulterior purposes, which cannot be termed under freedom of speech.

personal vendettas have to be placed in it's correct slot and if allowed by one sector, should be allowed to all, without exception or prejudice

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I don't care how far someone takes their freedom of speech... the police forces are not your personal fashion consultants.

You're wasting their time and taking them from more pressing issues, like saving lives!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2

Spot on!

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Why should freedom of speech be allowed to offend people? People speak out against bullying but I say bullies are free to express themselves any way they feel is necessary. If they verbally assault children it is fine because it is freedom of speech. Yup, now you guys have the idea. Which would mean I should be allowed to wear a t-shirt that has profanity against the country that I reside in.

Freedom of speech is different then offending people. Why should you make fun of someone else's religion or culture?

The guy should have been either forced to take off the shirt or pay a fine.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybach Hanson
i used to always get in trouble for wearing heavy metal tshirts

Hehehe only my grandma would give me 'those' sort of looks but apart from that my family had no problems with me walking around with inverted pentagrams (emperor wrath of the tyrant shirt etc) and usual death/black/doom metal shirts.

I don't believe the cop should have arrested the kid at all, nor should he have any say in what someone wears. Wouldn't be much difference if I was arrested for having a pic of the 9/11 towers collapsing and 'CONTROLLED DEMOLITION' in big words below them.... it's all a subjective viewpoint on what is and isn't tolerable. Police should not be enforcing a subjective viewpoint.

My 2.5389 shillings.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

the incident ACTUALLY happened in Australia - so your little rant was invalid

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
This didn't happen in the US right? Golf Coast is AU right?

I know if this happened in the USA it would never stand a chance because well we are allowed to use freedom of speech.

Hey check some of these shirts out.

[SNIP]

=======
Mod Edit:
Please read your Terms & Conditions Of Use to avoid a warning or worse:

1a) Offensive Content: You will not post links to images or use avatars and signatures that are offensive, abusive, distruptive and/or hateful.
1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'm not religious, per se. And, I think freedom of speech should be generally supported not constricted...HOWEVER, I don't think that we should be naive enough to think that the young man wearing this shirt was totally oblivious to potential consequences. Ok? He knew this shirt would offend and cause a furor of outrage; in fact, if he thought that it would not have than he would not have worn it. Jesus aside, I don't think that it is intelligent to wear a shirt that say [SNIP] on it, PERIOD. I'm not a parent, but I have niece and I plan on taking her to the movies tomorrow. If we see someone walking around with a [SNIP] shirt on and she reads it, I'd punch the loser in the face.
And that brings us to an important issue here. This is not just about freedom of speech. This is about the people who do these types of things. These people are aberrations; they're the exception not the rule; so lets not be all like, "the government is taking away our freedom of speech" when some loser goth kid knowingly intends to (and effectively does) offend and anger the vast majority of people who see his shirt.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by xweaponx

xweaponx, I always liked [SNIP]

Mod Edit:
Please read your Terms & Conditions Of Use to avoid a warning or worse:

1a) Offensive Content: You will not post links to images or use avatars and signatures that are offensive, abusive, distruptive and/or hateful.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
FINAL REQUEST

I don't understand why people insist on trying to use Profanity when discussing Profanity?

I have requested repeatedly that posters avoid any form of censored profanity. It seems like some posters missed the request (which was posted on several occasions throughout the thread) so I'm posting it one more time.

You can find the reason for the request here. As well as in the
Terms & Conditions Of Use.

Any further disregard for this request will result in a warning.

Please keep ATS up to standard. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Threadfall
I'm not a parent, but I have niece and I plan on taking her to the movies tomorrow. If we see someone walking around with a [SNIP] shirt on and she reads it, I'd punch the loser in the face.

If I was wearing that shirt and you punched me in the face, then you would be in for a world of hurt, both physically and financially after I've beaten you back and sued you for assault. (Note, this is not a threat, just discussing a possible hypothetical situation. Peace, dude, it's all conjecture.)

Wearing that shirt is nowhere as offensive as you wanting to strike down the person wearing it. All you would teach your niece is that it is ok to punch some random stranger in the face. That's a great life-lesson she'll learn from her uncle.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
If anyone here bitching and complaining can assure me that no child would ever see a t-shirt depicting sexual acts then I will agree with their rant about freedom of speech. However, if such a t-shirt was to be observed by children then that's completely different.

Anyone who defends the "right" to wear such clothing in the presence of children needs to get some help from a psychiatrist since it's teetering on the edge of paedophilia.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join