It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen arrested for 'blasphemous T-shirt'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Sorry, but if people get their jollies by going out of their way to offend, and are encouraged to do so as some sort of inalienable right, then it's a pretty damning indictment on society today.

Damn you society, damn you!

I think it is also peoples right to ignore morally 'high-horsed' people who feel that, because it offends their sensibilities, that it must be wrong; a terrible indication of our society...or some other crap.

Whenever the norm gets shook up, there is some ridiculous 'society in downfall' type argument. Remember when KISS was really offensive and not just annoying? Or the shake...that a pretty 'damning' turn for society.

Originally posted by Britguy
So, to those people defending the graphic nature of this T-Shirt using the argument of freedom of speech / expression, would they be so quick to defend a T-Shirt with nude pictures of children performing sex acts? If not then why not?

A nun getting her jollies off and a bad word aren't illegal. Depictions of sex acts between children...is.

Don't try and derail the argument by comparing a mockery of religion on a t-shirt to the sexual abuse of children.

[edit on 6/25/0808 by spines]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
If i don't like something on tv i can turn it off, but i can't turn off someone's clothing in public.

You have right to look away for the brief moment that the tshirt is in your field-of-view.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
its offensive behavious and thus is the same as swearing in public except your not saying it just wearing it. offensive behaviour... There is a law. Swearing in public is annother.

link   
Freedom of Speech in America never covers profanity of any kind. There is lots of case law to back that up as well. If someone had worn a shirt like that back in the 1776, they would have been lynched. I think you’re mixing up your feelings on religion with something that crosses common decency. Whether it’s about religion or any other topic, it is not acceptable to wear something with profane language and especially profane graphics in public.

As a Christian, I would understand how a member of another religion would be upset if there were a similar shirt about their beliefs. Personally, I was taught to respect all beliefs and religions, no matter if I agree with them or not. Though I am a strong opponent of the Catholic Church, I have sat in their masses respectfully many times over the years. I would like to know why some feel that it’s acceptable to show such disrespect toward anyone’s belief system. To me it smacks of opinionated, ignorant, immaturity.

link   
wellBehaving in an ofensive manner ;-P

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by spines
And I don't want to see those annoying 'anti-abortion' shirts with a bloody fetus splashed across it. Yet they continue to exist, and I, as an adult, ignore it and laugh at the ridiculousness of the whole thing.

This is one of those situations where out of sight, out of mind would seem to fit.

Also, I doubt your grandchildren even notice the person, let alone the shirt. Kids are like squishy Etch-a-Sketch's; if they start to ask about it...just give them something shiny and be on your way.

I personally have not seen the anti abortion shirts that you speak about, but i would have a problem with those as well.

Well you are dead wrong in you assumptions, they do notice people and their clothing. Most children notice pictures on t-shirts. You have a very poor opinion of children as they are not at all like "squishy etch -a- sketches" they are very inquisitive, and have minds that are trying to soak in everything.

Maybe your idea of raising children is to pacify them instead of teaching them, but it's not mine. If a child asks a question it should be answered truthfully, that's how they learn.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Here's a scenario for you.
Where a tshirt with mohammad caricatured as a walking bomb laden terrorist.
Walk back and forth in front of a mosque until someone notices you.
'But I'm just practicing my freedom of speech! As they give you a very bad shave'.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Here's a scenario for you.
Where a tshirt with mohammad caricatured as a walking bomb laden terrorist.

You complained about me bringing religion into it? Shhh! No more religion!

Walk back and forth in front of a mosque until someone notices you.
'But I'm just practicing my freedom of speech! As they give you a very bad shave'.

Here's the difference: This was a teenager walking along a Gold Coast street. If you haven't seen the Gold Coast, it is exactly that, a slice of paradise surrounded by high-rises and populated with lots of Asian tourists. This kid was not inciting religious violence. He probably listens to the band, likes their music and wears their tshirt. More power for official merchandising.

Walking up and down, waiting to be noticed, in front of a mosque, is asking for trouble. That person will probably be bashed, as the hypocritical elements of the muslim cult will be angered.

You can't compare the two instances.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by tezzajw]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
edit: no point in restating what is above me.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
You have right to look away for the brief moment that the tshirt is in your field-of-view.

And what if the t-shirt is in someones view for longer than a brief moment ? The shirt is inappropriate to be worn in public in most peoples opinions. I don't think it's serious enough for him to be arrested, but it is inapropriate and he shouldn't wear it in public.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I just had the best idea for a welcoming banner for the Pope when he comes to Sydney..

Uh, never mined, I don't want to be arrested

But seriously though, I don't think I'd ever wear anything with the big 'C'.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

[SNIP]

The only person that is making you see the shirt is yourself. And the only reason it affects anyone, is if they make it affect themselves.

Act like an adult and get on with your life.

Mod Edit: Civility and Decorum are Required

[edit on 25-6-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
And what if the t-shirt is in someones view for longer than a brief moment ?

Then think to yourself that this kid has the right to wear his tshirt and that he doesn't have the right to infringe upon what you choose to wear.

Maybe he's also holding back upon his comments to you, about what you're wearing?

Far out, if you were walking in some fundy-cult nations, you would be beaten for showing more than your eye-slits in public...

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by spines
reply to post by chise61

[SNIP]

The only person that is making you see the shirt is yourself. And the only reason it affects anyone, is if they make it affect themselves.

Act like an adult and get on with your life.

Actually if he was wearing the shirt in public in front of me, it would be him that was making me see the shirt not me. And basically everything that you see affects you in one way or another, that's why the shirt was made, to have an effect on people.

Mod Edit:
Removed Quoted personal attack.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Teen arrested for 'blasphemous T-shirt'

www.news.com.au

A GOLD Coast teenager who wore a T-shirt by English extreme metal band Cradle of Filth that reads 'Jesus is a [SNIP]' has been charged with offensive behaviour.

Above the offensive slogan a nun is depicted masturbating.

A 16-year-old was arrested on Monday for wearing the shirt and was charged with offensive behaviour under the Summary Offences Act 2005 for public nuisance.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Hahahahahahaha X 100000

I knew it would have been the Jesus is a [SNIP]
t-shirt.

They're my third favorite band, and I've been trying to find one of those shirts for ages now.

I'd like to see them charge me when I wear it, I'll sue them.
I dunno what for. But me and my lawyer will figure something out

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
See my note in the first post.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Ok. That's it. Give me your addresses now.
I'm donning my florescent green hawaiin shirt and an undersized pair of red speedos with my flip flops on my 45 year old 20 lbs overweight frame and I'm laying out in YOUR backyard!
Just making a statement.
The nitemares will have you waking in a cold sweat for years!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Thank god they are locking up criminals that are attacking innocent people with their offensive shirts. What if an old lady saw it, that had heart problems, and she died?! In that case, it would be murder and he should get lethal injection or life.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
@EVERYONE

If you've missed it. Please refrain from using any censored form (or otherwise) of the word in question. Those that would like to know what the word is, read the news article. Let's keep to ATS standards.

Thanks everyone.

Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
Please refrain from using any censored form (or otherwise) of the word in question.

Sorry, Gemwolf. It wasn't deliberately used by anyone, as it was present in the news article in the censored format.

I'm sure we're all trying to play nice, given the word in question.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I understand and took it as such. No one was penalised. Just a friendly request.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join