It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mounting Political Tension

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
So, I live in Florida and I voted for Nader in 2000. Big Deal.

I grew up thinking I was a Democrat until I really started paying attention and listening to both sides of the story. It was only then that I realized NEITHER party is qualified to represent my ideals and beliefs.

I spend virtually every evening watching the three main news channels, MSNBC, CNN & FOX News. I spend an hour every morning listening to Glen Beck on my way to work, and an hour every night listening to Sean Hannity on my way home.

The seething hatred is just overwhelming! How did it come to this? Politics has never been more devisive or self serving, and not just for the politicians. Today, conservative blowhards rule the air waves and liberal crack pots rule the television. Nobody has anything good to say about anyone who isn't already on their side, and it is bleeding into our daily lives.

I can't have a constructive conversation for more than 10 seconds with ANY of my coworkers about politics, AND THEY ARE ALL ON THE SAME SIDE. I got called an extremist for supporting Obama, and i don't even care for the guy. The only reason i got called out is because i'm not voting for McCain.

That little pendulum swings both ways, however. My liberal friends say i've lost my way, that i've been zombified by the right wing. But i'm not a republican either!

When did it get so back where I can't even have a conversation with ANYONE i know? Our opinions have grown too strong and varied and we view political opposition as the enemy. We have forgotten how to respect our adversaries, and as a result our government has been stolen from us.

When the hell did everyone fall asleep on me? Where did all this hatred for our fellow man come from?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Well said, my friend. The problem here is that there is NO difference between the parties involved. They are ALL "face men" (Sorry Hillary) of the establishment. Divisivness works for them. Keep thinking that candidate X has your best interests at heart and candidate Y is a pedophile. Or vice versa. It's all BS being generated by the PTB and fed via MSM.

WHY? Well, while you're worrying about the little stuff, "THEY are going to the bank." Carlin said that years ago. He was right then and he's still right.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Well, I can't say that you're wrong here my friend. The political divide in this country seems to have grown by leaps and bounds in the recent years.

I say seems because I don't believe it to be as bad as it is made to appear. I think for the most part the majority of people in this country want what's best for all of us, regardless of which party generates the idea and takes the credit. I believe it just seems the opposite because we are constantly told by pundits on both sides that liberals are evil, or conservatives are evil.

You must realize that we are all never going to agree on everything, or even most things; and that's okay. What matters is that we try to reach a suitable outcome for everyone involved. Sometimes it may seem as though that isn't what our elected officials want, but I do think it is still the goal of the American people.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I can't take it anymore.

You're spot on about why this happens. It's more like a ballet than it is real life, considering what goes into maintaining this pseudo-hereditary rule government we've got going. The delicate details that go into swaying our thoughts and emotions into a particular action or reaction are astounding.

It's amazing to me how people can't possibly imagine that we could be lied to on such a grand scale. They say it would be impossible to pull off. And yet, we have experienced this very same thing at countless points throughout human history.

If you look at it that way, it sort of seems inevitable that it will continue down this path. Why should it change now? Do you really think people are ready for it? Do half the people you know even want it? Are they even aware of it enough to want it?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Politicians need to get elected, they need to advertise and 'sell' themselves to the public. They need to motivate.

Controversy sells. 'Wedge' issues are emphasized. They motivate the base to actually go to the polls. Once there, the knock-on effect of their entire ballot adds support to the party as a whole.

A basic advertising tenant: influence is proportional to cumulative emotional impact. So views are cast in a context and manner that makes people sit up and take notice. Once that's established, the they absorb the message -- convince people to love, hate, fear or hope, and control the underlaying context of the expression thereof, and you control them. Politics 101.

You're posting in a forum named 'Above Politics'. So, put yourself above politics. All politics is local, in truth. If you can't discuss issues with your peers, using the loaded contexts, slogans, descriptions, and conclusions of national politics, get specific. Use examples. Approach discussion from 'both sides', or no side at all, and the results may surprise you.

With a few exceptions, I believe 90% of the people in the US agree on 90% of the issues. The large majority of disagreements arise from the falsely created dichotomies and descriptions they use to express their views.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cyfre

When did it get so back where I can't even have a conversation with ANYONE i know? Our opinions have grown too strong and varied and we view political opposition as the enemy. We have forgotten how to respect our adversaries, and as a result our government has been stolen from us.

When the hell did everyone fall asleep on me? Where did all this hatred for our fellow man come from?

I think the "hatred" for our "fellow man" comes from the fact that the politicians make promises to help every special interest group on the planet by reaching their hands into my pockets to take my money at the point of a gun.

No, I'm not happy about working 1/2 the year so my money can be forcibly taken from me and given to people simply because they helped the politician of their choice get elected.

top topics

join