It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my first addition: Magnum opus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
i finished adding a description of what it is

and am now working on supporting material needs that is outlined in the definition of the title....

more to come soon!

GO Tinwiki

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Andrew E. Wiggin,

Congratulations on your first page creation in tinWiki, and welcome. Magnum opus seems to be a topic that definitely belongs in this encyclopedia.

I have some beginner comments for you. The writing style for articles should be a very plain, straight forward text that describes what the topic of the title is in full sentences. The article should immediately, in its first sentence, describe the topic. An example of a good article introduction can be found in the article Extraterrestrials. That article starts out like this: "Extraterrestrials, often called aliens, are any beings from another planet. Usually what is meant are intelligent beings, but technically un-intelligent beings would also be extraterrestrials."

An article can in fact be created with just such a description, and further elaborations can be added later, like the next week or something. A short article like that would be what is called a "stub". If an article deals more in-depth with various aspects of the topic, sections are created for each aspect of the topic. Sections are created by giving them headers. Just as you have done, headers should be properly formatted. And as you know, the wiki code for a header is to keep the header on its own line, and write two equal signs on each side. As you have also done, various lists, including lists of other tinWiki articles that may be relevant, references/sources, external links, and ATS discussion threads, also get their own properly formatted headers.

Comments about the article should not appear inside the article text, but should be posted in the article's discussion. The discussion is found through a tab towards the top of the page where it says "discussion". Click the plus sign tab inside the discussion, write a header or title for you post, and after your actual post, enter the wiki signature code which is four tildes ~~~~.

You've written a fairly good page for your first try. I would encourage you to remove the first header, since that appars as a second article title. Remember that a page title is already the article title, and so the article itself should begin directly with an introduction, as opposed to with a header. I also want to encourage you to write an introduction text in a similar style to that in the Extraterrestrials article. Comments like this "(post links to Tinwiki articles once created in this site for Philosopher's Stone, Qabalah, and Hermeticism)" should not appear in the article. You may post them in the discussion -- or may in fact keep them in the wiki code but hide them so they don't appear in the article. Hiding text in the wiki code is done by surrounding the text with < ! - - and - - >. Example < ! - - this part won't show up in the article - - >. (There should be no space between the hypens, greater than, smaller than, and equal sign, but I had to insert spaces here or the whole thing was hidden here as well, you see, that's an HTML tag that the browser seems to count as a part of the ATS discussion forum page...)

So, change the writing form slightly. Other than that, it's a very good first page creation.

Congratulations, again, and keep up the good work.

Optimist

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
wow

very good pointers, thank you. Now ill have something to work on 'at work' today

new topics

join