It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers May Be On Verge of Finding Earth's Twin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Astronomers May Be On Verge of Finding Earth's Twin

www.foxnews.com

Planet hunters say it's just a matter of time before they lasso Earth's twin, which almost surely is hiding somewhere in our star-studded galaxy.

Momentum is building: Just last week, astronomers announced they had discovered three super-Earths — worlds more massive than ours but small enough to most likely be rocky — orbiting a single star. And dozens of other worlds suspected of having masses in that same range were found around other stars.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well its going to be an exciting to hear what comes out of this, unless we get the "ufo landing in the White House lawn" I think this is going to be the way that we are going to find out if there is life out there.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
From the little I know of this form of science , I have always believed that the way they find such planets is by studying the " wobble " of a sun and then examining the light spectrum emanating from the system to then determine what elements may be present in any such bodies ?
If thats the case ? how can they be this descriptive as to what is in any such observed system ?
IF it were only possible to actually look through a telescope and see an earth like planet orbiting another sun , that would be truly revolutionary and aw inspiring .

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

IF it were only possible to actually look through a telescope and see an earth like planet orbiting another sun , that would be truly revolutionary and aw inspiring .

Thats the wayI envision that it will be in the future, but for now we are going to have to enjoy this, anyways I think with the data that they would be able to acquire from obvservations they could make pretty accurate animations of what they think they are looking at.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This isn't new son, astronomers find thousands upon thousands of galaxies every day, not to mention earth look alike and giant earth like planets called super Earth.
Heres one for example www.solstation.com...

Sorry you get a big fat
for your thread and a
for your IQ

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

That is the common way for astronomers to locate an object orbiting another object. You have to remember anything containing an abundance of mass can create a shift in an objects orbit, even a passing meteor. However this allows astronomers to isolate an object and to study its behavior. Another way to locate planets or solar system is actually witnessing eclipses from other far away stars, and with so many stars in the sky that is the common reason on why galaxies upon galaxies are being discovered everyday.

Here is a count from NASA from 11/2007, 125 billion galaxies AND counting till this day...

imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov...

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Solo954]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

Originally posted by Max_TO

Thats the wayI envision that it will be in the future, but for now we are going to have to enjoy this, anyways I think with the data that they would be able to acquire from obvservations they could make pretty accurate animations of what they think they are looking at.

I thought the Next Generation Space Telescope NASA was designing was supposed to take direct pictures of exo-solar planets?

Either way, I don't think that technology is too far off.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthChrisious

I cant wait for that one it supposed to be a lunar telescope
www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Solo954

If you had even bother to read the article you would have notice that the technology that they are talking is one that would enable them to find planets SMALLER than those they now call "super earths". But instead of reading I guess that you felt entitled to introduced yourself on ATS with that kind of smartness.

BTW, welcome and feel free to read the Terms and Conditions of this site, it will make your stay here a more pleasent one.

EDIT TO ADD: And can you please point me to any article that backs up your claim that astronomers find THOUSAND S UPON THOUSANDS OF GALAXIES EVERY DAY, thats a pretty big statement that I have never heard before.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
reply to post by Solo954

If you had even bother to read the article you would have notice that the technology that they are talking is one that would enable them to find planets SMALLER than those they now call "super earth"

I shall take my conversation some where my "smartness" is comprehended. By the way I am a returning user to ATS with a new login maybe you should take your own advise and read the user agreement. OUT

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

As a matter of fact, heres another article from last year you may want to read about that might help you get up to date....
www.space.com...

Now I'm OUT.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Solo954

Please feel free to post here or U2U me when you find an article backing up your claim that astronomers discover 1000 upon 1000 of new galaxies everyday, I be here waiting.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Solo954

What baffles me is your assumption that I am not aware of this information, you say that you are returning user well the first thing that you should know is that many people here are at least well informed members.

If I posted the article was in light of these new development on the technology and methods been used not in the sense that is new technology in it of itself.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

www.blackwell-synergy.com...

Now I'm out no longer wasting my time.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Solo954

Thanks for the info, you see thats the good thing about ATS you learn something new each day.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Solo954

By the way heres an object that was located that contains countless of galaxies by itself

www.history.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
No problem, but if you were intrigue by that.... check this out
csep10.phys.utk.edu...

These findings are results of scientist sharing information threw space agencies and contractor agencies and creating one big find. Do you understand? As you may already know there are scientist working around the clock worldwide locating a lot of information at once, and there is even a meeting once every 10 years with different scientist all over the globe discussing new and upcoming technology for space exploration. Thats the reason why we have telescopes in Chile and other countries, not to mention the everlasting space war with Russia.

top topics

join