It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory In-Car Breathalyzers Coming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Mandatory In-Car Breathalyzers Coming?

www.motorists.org

If you’re not a convicted drunk driver, should you still be required to have an in-car breathalyzer fitted (at your expense, ‘natch) to your next new vehicle?

Apparently, some automakers — including GM and Toyota — think so. They and a few others are working together under the auspices of something called the Driver Alcohol Detection System for Safety, which is a $10 million federal “research program” that is trying to develop just such technology for mass introduction a few years from now.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
What the? Breathalyzers for EVERYONE?

Well, this is certainly controversial and I know there will be two crowds here--One that believes "if you have nothing to hide, then why worry", and then the other that will see this as a continuing step of invasions into our every movement and actions...

Which group do you belong to? Yay or nay on this?

by 2012 or so, in-car breath sniffers could be standard equipment in every new vehicle sold, force-fed to you by the tag team of Washington, Detroit and, of course, the ever-busy Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD).

No conviction necessary.

www.motorists.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I am on the side that says this is a bit much. Having to blow into a tube and wait for it to analyze your breath every single time you turn the engine is way too much.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
As long as they don't pass a law allowing the cops to check to ensure the device hasn't been disabled, nor any law requiring all vehicles to have them, I honestly don't care. It's something which, much like ignition kill switches I would simply disconnect from the vehicle. I can understand where someone who doesn't have a good mechanic or know how to work on their own vehicles would be pretty concerned about this invasion, however. Nice find, DD.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Around these parts,the biggest offense are drugs.

Meh! Maybe the cops will get lucky and find a junky who also had a nightcap.

I imagine they must have the technology now to have the breathalizer poke you for a drop of blood, or perhaps urinate into it to check for the real illegal substances.

I say its a good idea! Keep these creeps off the road!!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
If this became mandatory it would have interesting consequences. I think we would see the formation of a "breath market". Imagine people loitering around parking lots offering "Hey buddy! I'll breathe in your tube for $5.00."

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The link is now saying:

Not Found

Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It doesnt really matter, people will find a way around it. Tis sad that we put less into education about such matters, and then they (corp US) come up with a band-aid to solve the problem later. It begins early. Way early. I agree, this is just one more strip that is being stripped away...our personal sovereignty.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
It will not happen because is bound to find its way into the court systems as a violation of rights.

So its going to be a long road before they get away with it.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
What so, You blow into the breathalyzer and the car wont start if your over the limit? and also wont start without you first having blown into the breathalyzer? I couldnt read the article but if thats what its implying then thats just crazy. What if your in a dangerous situation and you need to leave fast but have had a drink? Your car wont start? Its just plain nuts man. Im not having that

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Marg,

A violation of our rights? You are joking, right??

We have been getting violated for a long time.

All kidding aside, i do know a lady who cannot get a liscense unless she has one of these installed in her vehicle. Anyone out there would be willing to blow into it for a cigarette or a couple of bucks. She's already counting on this.

I would never get in a car with her.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Haha true! But the one thing that does worry me a little is notice that the research on this is being federally funded...So what if disabling such a device becomes a crime?

Link is fixed BTW peeps. Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
That is the thing Dg they will go after offenders and the law will push on people that have been convicted for drinking and driving.

But its going to be a littler bit harder to pushed on the rest of the law abiding population.

After all it will be no fair that people that can buy a car cash can pretty much demand anything they want to be taken out or added to their cars.

So actually it look more like population targeting, this will end in our courts.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I could see a future where a driver is always being tested and monitored about being potentially impaired. People will probably have to report their medications and get random blood testing etc. Many are impaired drivers emotionally and um, economically as in the junk they drive or now running out of gas between paychecks.

I think we need to bring back safety inspections to keep certain vehicles off major highways. Especially ones carrying scrap metal which should also be stopped.

I had heard that a person who is having a diabetic crisis would also fail a breath test. Ofcourse this wouldn't be their biggest problem.

As far as those who are diseased alcoholics, I think these devices would be better than a license plate as long as they don't stop traffic or cause accidents. What's to stop a driver from having someones else take the test?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

It's not so hard to push things on the people of this country.All it will take is a few well intentioned special intrest activists,with some well placed PAC money to place in the pockets of our fine legislators an presto.We have a new law shoved down our throats!!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I will not ever buy a car that has a breathalyzer in it. If it is required to drive, I will remove it from my vehicle. If I get pulled over and the cop hassles me about it, I'll shoot him in the face.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
This is definitely something i would support .. I don't really see ANY negative to this and i bet it would save millions of lives over the period of 1 persons life..

I would say give it a trial in selected areas. If they want they can put one in mine .. Imagine . No drunk people could steal your car

I dunno .

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I don't know. Things like this could have other indirect effects. If they can put this into law, what else could they put into law.?

No, we don't want drunk drivers on the road, and in a way this seems like a good idea.

I just don't want to live in a world where life is "locked down," and your every move is monitored. Sure, if you have done nothing wrong...... But, damn, do we have to a "suspect" with every move we make?

This device could be easily defeated by a non-drinking individual anyway.

Troy

new topics

top topics

join