It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrible scream in the woods

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
In the mid 80's when i was still a person who hunted woodland creatures,a friend had invited me to go racoon hunting with him in a large section of woods in ellery n.y. Several other friends went with.
I brought my shotgun and did not plan on using it.
I was going to let my friend do the dirty work ....being that i never shot a racoon and didnt want to.

we went into the woods after walking three quarters of a mile down a old farm road.
After a 5 minute walk into the woods we heard the most horrifying, loud, inhuman scream you could imagine.
it lasted longer than i imagine any human could possibly scream and was incredibly loud!
The scream lasted in the area of 15 seconds.
Now i was a fairly accomplished woodsman but ive never heard anything like that.
same goes for the people i was with.
It literally made the hair on my head stand up
What was weird is we saw or heard no movement even though this sounded incredibly close.
two of us had powerful flashlights and could see no trace of anything.
We sat for 10 minutes and nothing.
we then looked in one coon tree and then got the hell out of there
we all had theories but none made sense.
My theory at this stage in my life is that it was a Sasquatch
Does anyone else have any theories or have you heard something similiar?

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Did you smell anything? Usually a sound like that has a horrible smell to go with it.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
its funny you said that cause i remember smelling a skunk and i remeber my friend saying maybe it was a wild cat that had killed a skunk

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
A panther.

A panther sounds like a woman screaming...it's a very horrifying sound.

I'm betting on a panther.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Maybe this could help. It has a wild cat scream, and you could compare.

Animal Sounds

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
When I was a kid and refused to go to bed, my mom used to say that if I didn't go to bed I would hear the devil squeal.

One night I was lying in bed trying to get to sleep and heard a scream that gave me the shivers. Each night for about a week this thing would shriek out and scare the holy crap out of me. Could it have been the devil ?

Eventually I found out what it was ...

It was a vixen on heat

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
i've heard porqupines fighting in trees before. it was a lot of screaming, shrieking, and screaching. it was creepy as all hell.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
As everyone knows by now i myself live in NY and i havnt heard about this place where you where althought there are no panthers here for people that said it might be because i havnt ever in my life seen a panther in the woods in ny and if there was hell we would get a possy with shotguns looking for that son of a
i dont know what it could be maybe someone else on here might. sure isnt me. Well when i was watching about the Kecksburg Ufo case there was a guy interviewed and he said when he was a child he went into the woods at the scene and heard something like you described he also said that it made his hair stand up on his neck and that he never wants to hear that sound ever again coincidence maybe but also maybe not.

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by ShadowMan]

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
On the Outdoor Network, they've done some research on Sasquatches. They've said they sound like human screams and are extremely frightening.
Apparently there are a lot of sasquatches out there. The Native Americans were aware of them and called the mountain devils.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TekNo88
Did you smell anything? Usually a sound like that has a horrible smell to go with it.

Yeah, I smell something alright.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Welcome to Bigfoot.

I have whitnessed the same scream you heard in my own back yard, three years ago.... then last summer I was almost attacked with a friend by bigfoot... see my post...

Sounds like a woman screaming as if she was being killed.. that and the mixture of a very inhuman scream.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter
Welcome to Bigfoot.

I have whitnessed the same scream you heard in my own back yard, three years ago.... then last summer I was almost attacked with a friend by bigfoot... see my post...

Sounds like a woman screaming as if she was being killed.. that and the mixture of a very inhuman scream.

I believe you. They've said, on the program I mentioned earlier, that Bigfoot is very elusive, but very protective of it's stomping grounds. Supposedly, some guy camping with his crew was attacked at night by a pack of Bigfoots. If I can find a link to the site I'll attach it.

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Here in rural East KY I have encountered the same thing as a young boy. Turned out to be bobcats. Bobcats are smaller than wildcats being just a bit larger than domestic cats. I was 11 years old when I heard the first one and I was curious so I checked it out and saw the little rascals. May not be what you heard but its the only experience I can relate that I've had that is similar.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
what shadow man said is right
ellery is in western n.y and there hasnt been an animal
like a big cat there in probably over a century
even bob cats are rare..but this was no cat i tell you!
and there was a very heavy skunky smell in the area that at the time we thought was a skunk.
ive heard cat screams this was not that.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Once when I was at my parent's house in the Pocanos (PA), I heard the most disturbing screams coming from the valley late at night. It sounded like something between a tropical bird, a howler monkey and cat getting ripped to shreads. Went on for about 1/2 hour. This thread just reminded me of it.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Bobcats can sound like a woman screaming. You'll never see them either. It isn't at all uncommon to hear this sound if you live in bobcat country. When rabbits are caught by foxes, bobcats, and coyotes they'll also squeal loudly, occasionally for an agonizing period of time if the predator fails kill it immediately.

I imagine that bobcats make a lot of noise when they're mating. Tomcats have barbed pea nises.

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by Condorcet]

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Bobcat.

Scared the living hell out of me and some friends. Especial since we had just found its den about 10 minutes earlier.

Out behind my friend house there was a few old houses long since reclaimed by the forrest, and in the root cellar of one (not a basement, it was an old house, it really was a root cellar) we found a huge pile of bones. Most were small mammal bones, we identified a small dog skull and the rest were just bone fragments. Shortly after leaving we heard the scream nearby.

Later a hunter spotted the bobcat (rare in that area). After listening to some animal sounds I found the bobcat was closest and it all started to make sense. At the time though, its was just the most terrifying inhuman (yet rather humanlike) thing i had ever heard.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
we shined our lights all around us
this thing was nearby...very near
nothing moved for over ten minutes
ive heard bobcats on recordings and ive heard rabbits and other animals make horrible sounds when in pain.
this definitely does not fit in any of those categories.....
this scream lasted at least 15 seconds.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Maybe it was a warning..

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
if it was a warning it was certainly delayed this happened over 13 years ago
are you trying to be comical

i never considered a scream in the woods to be a warning its just not subtle enough

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by watcheroftheskies]

<<   2  3 >>

join