It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Influence of music on your mind ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Everyone has their own taste in music, but why do you listen to it ?

How does the music you listen to make you feel, how does it influence you, your mind and your daily life, even your interactions with other people ?

Music is like a road you walk on, and based on the music you listen to, you could see how it draws other people in and out of your life.

You are 99% more likely to be friends with someone who likes the same music as you do, as music is almost a spiritual experience in my mind, which you can't share with a person unless they have the same taste as you, and you will bond closer based on the taste of music you share.

I can't drive in my car and listen to black metal, and enjoy it, knowing the person in the car with me doesn't like black metal, why is that ?

I'm not saying people who have different tastes in music won't or can't be friends, but it is more likely that you would be friends or best friends with someone who likes the same music as you.

Why is music so powerful ?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Music is vibrations,,,, drums, guitar, vocals...

Humans have a vibration frequency, your mind has a vibrational frequency..

How does music tune into your mind, body and soul..

Is it possible for music to change your own vibrational frequency to influence and effect you ?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by The Soldier Of Darkness

I have a friend who developed music to activate the different chakra centers in humans. The NSA actually got a hold of his music and used it on certain subjects to determine whether or not they had human or ET souls. I know I will be subjected to abuse by telling people that, but if anyone is interested, i can elaborate, as for rude comments about my credibilty, you can keep that to yourselves and yell at your kids or the dog instead of being nasty here.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 420prajna

I've read alot about chakra meditation etc, didn't know music could awaken or charge them, please elaborate more though.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Yeah, well, like you said, music represents vibration, sound itself is vibration of molecules. Chakra means wheel in sanskrit, meaning they are basically spining units of prajna, like in my name, prajna being the life force. The chakra is like the junction between your physical body, your "soul" and the prajna grid of the rest of the universe. Well anyway, your chakras ocellate at certain frequencies and music can resonate with such ocellation and once the chakra and the music are at the same frequencey, the music can be used to speed up or slow down the chakra, more 'awakened' chakras spin faster.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 420prajna

So is it possible in your opinion for normal music, so to say, to affect your chakras ? or only the music that has been tuned to do so ?

Want to ask another question you might have an opinion about...

The differences in music,,,,black metal, pop, rock, jazz, etc

What in your opinion would make someone prefer black metal over R&B for instance, is it simply how u were brought up, the influences of friends, or is it something deeper ?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Because personally, i have no real clue why exactly i like black metal, i just do, i like the way it sounds, i like the way it makes me feel.

It even helps my mind cope with things when I am angry.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Yeah, aside from esoteric spiritual stuff, music appeals to different people for different reasons, alot of it having to do with bio-rythms. There is a writer named Sachs who is a psychiatrist who wrote a book called music and the brain. Tool, you may be interested to know wrote their album Lateralus all from the standpoint of personal consciousness evolution, you should check out their video parabola. The whole album follows the progression of someone from the perspective of tarot cards.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Music can also help you access other centres of the brain.
It really can help you channel and focus onto things you envision. Perceptions of what you see and hear are very connected. So what I hear as an effect on my perception, and what I see has an effect on what I'm hearing.

trance Music or particular music I listen to help me to do telepathy or even aparitionized to another person I'm connected too. It takes years of practice, But it does work. sound and sight in the mind knows no boundarys.

The mind, is like a universe within you.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a scene in the movie, immortal beloved, about beethoven (gary oldman) kind of explains it a little. beethoven is speaking with a man. he is describing the piece of his that is being played and what is going on. he says to the man, "when one hears a piece of music, it puts you into the mind of the composer when he wrote it. when you hear a waltz, you want to dance. when you hear a march, one is inclined to get up and walk." the scene goes on from there, but that is the point. we are moved by the music because that is what the composer wanted.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by The Soldier Of Darkness

because music was the office of satan and because music is a spiritual thing as worship to god and because words and thought affect anything thought sensitive the words are the expression of the thought and therefore give it more power it doesnt matter what is being said it matters if there are words to channel through it

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by blackthorne

Allright, i understand what your saying..

But what about those who compose black/death metal, are they trying to get me to tune into their mind ?

Honestly i dont see that...yes the music affects me, i can admit that, but i like the effect, i like the dark vibe it creates...

what does that mean ?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by iesus_freak

Ok, well, i like Satan..are you saying the reason i like death metal is because of Satan ?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Lol. I'd have to say music certainly can influence my mental state. Or anyone's for that matter. Imagine how much more likely some violent low lifes are to start fighting at a club when they play really aggressive rap fight songs. Whatever vibrations are coming out of that, they sure aren't good

I just listened to a progressive death metal CD with a really strange spiritual subtext that most people wouldn't get and I'd have to say it definitely gave me an empowered vibe. Made me feel more like a primal animal (not something you'd think prog would do to a person). Ghost Reveries!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Merle8

Can you give me the name of the cd / artist ?

Oh wait, i am assuming it is Ghost Reveries you are talking about ?

[edit on 24-6-2008 by The Soldier Of Darkness]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
i think ppl, or at least the ppl i know, that enjoy it for the most part are just getting in touch w/ their primal desires. kind of exploring it through music. i like some bands, such as opeth (and i doubt this would be considered quite the same, but...) slayer, metallica and the like. i see nothing wrong w/ it personally and like i said, even enjoy it to quite often. i am more worried about the ppl who enjoy mindless pop
(sort of teasin').

anyway, that is my guess.... the whole "primal desire" fascination. i guess you could call it the "animal" in us

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Whenever I'm at the computer (which is alot) I always have music on, usually it's trance/eurodance but I can listen to almost anything. The reason I started with it is abit scary though. Whenever it was silent, often late at night I started having really really creepy thoughts, which were beyond my own control, sometimes even hearing really weird voices saying scary things this was always followed by a outer body experience (is that the correct expression?), it felt sorta like I was a passenger in my own body, looking out the eyes as I was just there for the ride. Despite this feeling I had full control of my body but it felt noticeable slower to do stuff.

By creepy thoughts and scary things I mean stuff like "Maybe you should go and jump out of the balcony?", "Let's go stab ". Fortunately for myself none of these thoughts have even made me get out of my chair to do it.

After this I really enjoy listening to music, know almost all the titles of the songs they are currently playing on the radio etc. Nowadays I can't be without music.

Edit: This is probably the strangest reply you're going to get, lol

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Drapan]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I have been listening to Tool for little over 6months and they are by far my favorite band. It really has an effect on me I believe, it is like a spiritual adventure or growth. It is kind of hard to explain but it is like more than just normally listening to music.

Like as someone mentioned earlier in Lateralus, it is one of my favorite songs but yet it is so spiritual. The song itself is really complicated as in composition; time signatures and whatnot. It is like awakening of the mind and spirit.

One of my personal favorites is Tool's first real spiritual song "Third Eye" which is about using drugs to "pry open the third eye". The song is about that no doubt but I think it is also a carrier to open the third eye chakra. I have listened to that song while having my eyes closed and just focusing on the music a few times and it is really a experience. Sort of like binaural beats if anyone has any experience with that.

Here is the funny thing though; while focusing on the song with my eyes closed, a couple of time I had closed eye visuals. Light blinding pure white light, it would like just be sudden jolts or blink this white light. Then one night it happened while I was trying to go to sleep, and the couple other times after listening to the song often or focusing on it.

Then on the paranormal forums about the third eye chakra I read a link someone posted. It said that when someone opens or is about to open their third eye they see the light. Something about relation of the Bible and eastern beliefs. That Jesus stated that in the dark you will see light or something like that, actually talking about darkness activating the pineal gland and opening the third eye chakra....so maybe mine is open, maybe it isent.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
cogweb.ucla.edu

Linguist Steven Pinker of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has proposed that music is merely "auditory cheesecake," or "an evolutionary accident piggy-backing on language," as Daniel J. Levitin at McGill University explained in a recent issue of the journal Cerebrum. But many scientists—Levitin among them—don't agree. "Some researchers are finding that listening to familiar music activates neural structures deep in the ancient primitive regions of the brain, the cerebellar vermis," Levitin writes. "For music so profoundly to affect this gateway to emotion, it must have some ancient and important function."

Geoffrey Miller of University College London has proposed that musical ability—like broad shoulders or showy plumes—may serve to demonstrate fitness to a potential mate. After all, singing or playing an instrument well requires dexterity and good memory. Another suggestion Levitin makes is that music functions as communication, perhaps mimicking the rhythm and contour of our species' primitive calls. So, too, he proposes that perhaps music conveys an advantage through stimulating our primitive timing mechanisms.

Most interesting, he suggests that music stimulates our drive to find patterns in the environment. "Our brain is constantly trying to make order out of disorder, and music is a fantastic pattern game for our higher cognitive centers," he writes. "From our culture, we learn (even if unconsciously) about musical structures, tones and other ways of understanding music as it unfolds over time; and our brains are exercised by extracting different patterns and groupings from music's performance." It is this very kind of pattern recognition—which is extremely important for making sense of the world around us—that Keith Devlin suggests in his book The Math Gene gave rise to language and stands behind mathematical ability as well. To be certain, researchers won't agree on the purpose of music anytime soon—which fortunately shouldn't stop any of us from enjoying it

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Soldier Of Darkness
reply to post by blackthorne

But what about those who compose black/death metal, are they trying to get me to tune into their mind ?

there's a relevant quote here " the writer is trying to turn his readers into his characters " and I think it's always true...so I think that they are not so much trying to tune you into their mind (too 2-way) but they are trying to make your mind resemble the part-of-their-mind/emotional state/meme/whatever that were accessing while creating the song.
and the reason why you don't want to fully get into a song next to someone who doesn't dig the style, it's like being naked among the clothed, getting worked up to a song is going on a mission to accomplish something, and being next to someone who doesn't accept the importance of the mission somewhat raises the threshhold to accomplish the mission (like how it's more difficult to have sex with the film crew watching than it would be alone with the other talent)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join