It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is your favorite science fiction film ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
well what is it ?....and why?
what say you people

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
the original star wars, probably because it was the first sci-fi movie i saw in the theater as a kid...i was hooked, had all the toys...i remember asking my mother if i could change my name to boba fett.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
star wars: the empire strikes back for me. it's just a great movie, and i love boba fett. all my life i've wanted a tattoo of a skull like he has on his left shoulder, but i used to lack the age and now i just lack the funds.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Yeah, Star Wars! My dad took me to see them all in the theater, and I guess it is the cool memories associated with that series.

However, last summer, my wife and I went to see 28 Days Later, which reminded me of The Omega Man, and since I am a big Charleton Heston fan.....do the math.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Definitely will have to go with Star Wars... It completely redefined my concept of what a movie could be. I think to look for anything different, you'd have to ask people about their second choice....

For me, that'd be a toughie, but I'd have to say the original Planet of the Apes....very thought provoking....and Logan's Run, 2001, etc.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I have to agree with everyone and say the original SW trilogy (especially Empire). I am a huge fan, but the new movies are a gigantic disapointment.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
There are alot of great sci/fi movies... but to choose one?

I wouldn't go with Star Wars. Sure, it was good, but I don't think it was great... I know, I know... "Soothsayer, this is what we think...
"

I like movies that make me think or wonder. Towards that extent, I'd go for Minority Report or Total Recall... especially Minority Report.

Then again, there are the times when a movie has to be fun. Independance Day, to me, fits that bill... I just love the ending, when the Hornets are flying all over the place!

But, yeah... Minority Report... definitly.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well, Wired magazine had this list

THE WIRED SCI-FI TOP 20
Futureplex
1. Blade Runner
2. Gattaca
3. The Matrix
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
5. Brazil
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Alien
8. The Boys From Brazil
9. Jurassic Park
10. Star Wars
11. The Road Warrior
12. Tron
13. The Terminator
14. Sleeper
15. Soylent Green
16. RoboCop
17. Planet Of The Apes
18. The Day The Earth Stood Still
19. Akira
20. Barbarella

I don't agree with #2 , #16 or #20 in the least and Sleeper I have never seen. I would replace them with Metropolis, Altered States and The Thing (Horror? It does have an alien.).

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I would go for either 2001 or the Alien series.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
My Dad was in 2001

My fav movie is most probably Total Recall.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I don't think it's my favroite, but it's worth mentioning...

remember the TV show ... V

that was excellent !!!

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I liked Preditor and suprised it was not on the list.
Another not on the list was Tremmors....great plot for a movie.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
My Dad was in 2001

My fav movie is most probably Total Recall.

What part did he play? Thats interesting and cool if you are serious.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
My favorite is The Empire Strikes Back. I just love that movie!

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
I have to agree with everyone and say the original SW trilogy (especially Empire). I am a huge fan, but the new movies are a gigantic disapointment.

there's new movies? oh yeah... those steaming piles of dog #e i refuse to believe exist... :bnghd:

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Why no one mentioned Termintor?

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Gotta love Predator. That would be my favorite. It gave birth to a multidimensional universe and eventually, in the second film, tied the worlds of Alien and Predator together. I mean Alien was great, but Predator defined the Sci-fi/Action genre. Great film, love it to this day.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Originally posted by Jonna

there's new movies? oh yeah... those steaming piles of dog #e i refuse to believe exist... :bnghd:

Well put! They stink bad.

Empire Strikes Back has to be my fav sci-fi movie. Its just got everything, cool plot twists and lightsabers and, well- everything!

The new War of the Worlds is pretty dandy as well.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Would Repo Man count? I sort of doubt it, even with a dead alien in the trunk.

Probably my favorite, all around, is a little known "last man on earth" movie called The Quiet Earth.

Some others that come to mind:

Donnie Darko Absolutely one of the best movies of the last decade or so-- only peripherally science fiction though.
The Road Warrior Great, great movie-- one of my all-time favorites.
Bladerunner The director's cut is the best-- the narration in the theatrical version is distracting, and the ending is pathetic.
Brazil Great dystopian social commentary. Probably (sadly?) more accurate than 1984
The Fifth Element
Just an all around entertaining movie.
Abyss Director's cut only-- the original just doesn't tell the whole story.
2001, A Space Odyssey Dull and slow, but majestic.
A Boy and His Dog I would've done it too.

Titan A.E. Very satisfying movie.
Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 Yes, I like Alien 3-- I think it was a fitting finale to the series. Alien Resurrection, however, should have never been made.
The Matrix It was a great movie. The sequels... were not.
The Thirteenth Floor Same concept as The Matrix, but human drama instead of action fest.
Ghost in the Shell Served as an inspiration for The Matrix.
Armitage III Another great anime.
12 Monkeys Great cast, great plot.
Johnny Mnemonic Okay, so it's Keanu Reeves, stiff as always, but I still like it.
Dark City Sci fi noir.
Strange Invaders Aliens living among us-- I would think this would be a favorite of many of the ATSers.
Logan's Run The future as seen from the 70s

The Blood of Heroes Moody, violent dystopian version of the classic sports underdog story.
Rollerball The original-- not the truly execrable remake.
Cherry 2000 Perfect women aren't real-- real women aren't perfect.
Tank Girl And they have a tank.

Cube It's allegorical-- remember that. Really all it is is a group of archetypes trying to find their way, each in their own fashion, in a world in which they just happened to find themselves.

That should be plenty...

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The World, the Flesh and the Devil- best end of the world movie, stars Ingrid Bergman and Harry Belafonte. watch and learn.

My next choice would be: The Day The Earth Stood Still

[edit on 1/14/06 by longhaircowboy]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join