It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need advice on binoculars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Hey guys and gals,

I'm getting more interested in astronomy and star gazing and I'm looking into buying some binoculars(research stated that binoculars were a good first step)

I have been looking into the Bushnell Astro 15x70 and the 20x80(big buggers) and was wondering if anyone could make a recomendation on these or another pair that would be good?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and help.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Use 10 X power max for star gazing. Why ? this gives a great field of view, and its not going to be too heavy over a nights gazing.

Now, i have a variable zoom pair from Nikon called ther eagle view.

Zoom from 8 X to a massive 24 times.

Great for bird watching, aviation and stars at night. A bit pricey, but beautifully constructed.

So...stick with a low mag 10 X max, and make sure they are light enough for you.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I was going with the larger lense for light gathering. I have a pair of 10x50 that work ok, but I was hoping that the larger lense would give a clearer(doesn't need to be bigger) image for those interesting objects. Does the larger lense make it worthwhile to purchase?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
If you are going down the binocular route then a good clamp and sturdy tripod are a must. The bigger objective lens the better too (80-100mm).

I have an Opticron GS815 spotting scope with an 18-54X eyepiece that I lug around all over the place on a good lightweight field tripod, which gets used for mainly wildlife watching but does a good job of deep sky observation too (damaged left eye so no point in using binos :lol

A lot depends on budget really. I find the spotting scope more flexible and can add different eyepieces quickly and easily.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
A spotting scope more flexible than a pair of binoculars ?

How ? Binos are light, easier to use, more natural in their mechanics - you just raise them and look through..

Theres no need for a massive pair for star gazing unless your talking real serious stuff.

A spotting scope has its uses and i cannot deny that, but more flexible than binos ? no way.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The Bushnell Astro 15x70 are just over a hundred bucks(cdn) so there pretty cheap and I find them easier to view through than my smaller pair.(tried in store for about 5 minutes) I was hoping that maybe you are someone out there have tried a pair this size and could offer their opinion on them in astro use. Inside the store they worked pretty good....

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

For me the flexibility of a good spotting scope is a personal thing Dan. I have a useless left eye as a result of a bad skull fracture so always close it when viewing. No need for 2 sets of optics

I'm even toying with the idea of buying the Nikon ED50 scope as it's lightweight and can be easily used handheld (making good use of the exchange rate on my next US business trip)

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Welcome!!! Glad to hear your getting into astronomy. If you've got some binoculars take a sweep through Cygnus and down to Sagittarius. The vast arm of the galaxy is here and you will see many beutiful star clusters and gas clouds. Do let me know how you get on!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I grabbed the 15x70 yesterday and unfortunately there was a lot of cloud cover, but the gods were nice to me and opened up a small pocket of stars so I could try them out..... all I can say is WOW.

I can see probably 3 times as many stars as my 10x50 binoculars. I can't wait to have a clear night to test them out properly(hopefully tonight).

Yes..... I know... I'm now just another space geek, but since I got laser surgery on my eyes I can enjoy the benefits of not having to wear glasses and night vision that is even better than before.

I'd love any recomendations on viewing suggestions or resources you found helpful when starting out.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Where abouts are you exactly? Once I know which part of the world you're in I can tell you what to look out for.

-Paul.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Free: Stellarium software

You will never regret this download.

It is the best software I have ever used for showing the night sky on a computer.

It is FREE, totally free and the planetarium is stunning. Download it, get a compass, get familiar with a few stars, and then using this software prepare to be familiar with the skies alot sooner than you thought.

Glad you got a good pair of binos too.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Thanks for the great feedback guys. I'm located in central Alberta in Canada. I had a perfect night for trying out the new binoculars and they didn't dissapoint me. I think it's Jupiter that's out right now and that was an amazing view, and I don't think I've seen so many stars. Two shooting stars(one through the binoculars; that was different) and close to a dozen satelites, one which was strobing a reddish color)

Whith the late sunset up north it made to be a late night but well worth it. On a side note I can't believe how hard it is to reference locations through the binoculars with all the additional stars in view; it must take a lot of gazing up to get familar with them.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
Free: Stellarium software

You will never regret this download.

It is the best software I have ever used for showing the night sky on a computer.

It is FREE, totally free and the planetarium is stunning. Download it, get a compass, get familiar with a few stars, and then using this software prepare to be familiar with the skies alot sooner than you thought.

Glad you got a good pair of binos too.

Did you read what i just posted ?

Stellarium will help you learn real fast.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I am downloading the software you posted, thanks for the link. I will definately use the software to help me out.

A question for you though, do satelites have strobes on them for identification? The one I saw moved a little slower than the average one but had a consistant strobe to it. Only viewable through the binoculars.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by airteck

No. They do however roll and reflect light in a consistent manner some times.

OR - you could of been watching a very high aircraft pass over head.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
What kinda scope would you guys recommend for eyeing the moon mostly but of course other things in the sky? Maybe something you can hook up your camera or computer to so that you can snap pictures.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Depends on how much money you have, what time your going to have to watch...

Me I have a 4 and 8 inch reflector, but they are not camera adaptable.

However, some of these new table top 'go to' scopes are amazing.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well, I would say a "medium" class scope...if that makes sense. Would mostly look at night I would think but surely I would sneak a peek during the day sometimes also.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The camera shop I went to had a cool attachment for a spotting scope that lets you line up your digital camera on the spotting scope. I of course don't know how well it would work for what your doing but it is an option out there.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

you could of been watching a very high aircraft pass over head.

For the speed of the object I think your right, I have seen the satelite strobe before and it wasn't the same. If it was a high altitude aircraft(most likely possibility) that is an amazing altitude it was at.

And on another side note the software rocks.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by airteck]

top topics

join